Digital Art Zone

can i move daz studio to another hard drive
Posted: 20 November 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2003-11-29

i lost my hard drive an everything on my PC today .......it was a old XP model windows
and i am running my laptop for now again old model .....  if i was to get a new PC and get a ex hard drive can i have daz studio
on the ex hard drive or does it have to be on the main PC to run ?  for the ex hard drive i wanted to have daz studio and my artwork saved only

can put daz on my laptop its for work used only
thank you for your time

Posted: 21 November 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4900
Joined  2008-03-06

It can go on the external.  Both my DAZ and Poser installs are.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 21 November 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  694
Joined  2003-10-09
SickleYield - 21 November 2012 12:57 AM

It can go on the external.  Both my DAZ and Poser installs are.

The basic libraries for modern versions of DAZ Studio (and I think Poser) can be wherever you want.  All you have to do is tell Studio where the library roots are.  However, I seem to remember problems with the DAZ Studio3 version of the “Category” index not being portable because it seemed to remember which letter-drive the items were stored on.  I remember someone posting a very long and complicated procedure on how to edit the category index to fix that problem but for me it was more trouble than it was worth.  I simply gave up, erased my Category index and manually re-categorized everything (which I’d thought about doing anyway).  Took me a month. :-(

Perhaps the DAZ Studio4 content manager is smarter about automatically re-identifying where your library items are but I sincerely doubt it.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 21 November 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4900
Joined  2008-03-06

Ah, well, there’s your problem, *cough* I don’t use the CMS at all, so that was not significant.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.