Digital Art Zone

Failed to load script file error in previous DS version
Posted: 19 November 2012 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

Hi

I have just spent 2 days doing tech support with a customer who couldn’t get the PoseMaster 1.5 upgrade to work (see the details here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6445/P45/#166678)

He kept getting “Failed to load script file” errors for the v1.5 scripts, but the v1.4 scripts worked fine.

It turns out he was using DS 4.5.0.114 whereas I’d encrypted the scripts to DSB in DS 4.5.1.6. Upgrading to the latest version of Studio fixed the problem for him.

What I’d like to know is the following: my scripts have worked on every version of Studio since 3. Now they don’t because I encrypted them using the latest version. For plugins, I can understand backward compatibility but is DAZ expecting PA’s to encrypt script files with the oldest possible version of 4.5 in order for all customer to use them?

I simply cannot grasp the logic, and the impact both to customers and PA’s is enormous. Why does it work this way?

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

That’s the problem with encrypted scripts…they are more or less tied to the version they are encrypted in.

One option, I guess, would be to go the full, compiled plug in route, since I doubt you would go with unencrypted scripts that get compiled at runtime, by the current running version…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 20 November 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2007-01-08

Simple solution is to encrypt them in the oldest version of DS you have. You can safely ignore any errors the script IDE of said old DS version throws at you, of course, as long as the script works in whichever version it is supposed to work..

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

Thanks guys. I’m guessing I’ll be installing DS3 again grin

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14324
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, the binary formats (.dsb and .dse) are version-tagged and DS won’t even try to open a file from a newer version. It would be hard to have older versions know how new a file they could safely open, I suppose, but it is generally an annoyance rather than a help.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list