Digital Art Zone

5 of 14
Is it just me… I just don’t spend my money at Daz anymore
Posted: 12 December 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-06-06

Hello,
yes, my spending dropped by at least 95%. It is not only due to Genesis (which would account for only 50% drop), but also that I really no longer want to endure those dreaded installers (they remember path, but always fall back to “Install for DAZ instead of Poser” and “create uninstaller”. Almost every checkbox I have to change for every single run.)

Then, there are not really any promos for Poser any more, and the DS images all look the same and cannot persuade me to buy.

And yes, I agree, the new shop is a pain to use.

Posted: 12 December 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4311
Joined  2011-11-25

I’m spending less at DAZ these days, because they are producing less men’s clothing and male characters. And just lots of outfits for the ladies. Case in point, the whole snowball savings sale has all been womens’ things. I just don’t need outfits for the ladies. I desperately need more guy stuff though.

Posted: 12 December 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2910
Joined  2009-02-24

If it’s any consolation, I think I’ve bought enough in the last few weeks to make up for a few less sales. After picking up Genesis I went literally spend-crazy buying up every piece of Genesis related gear I could get. So great was my obsession that I nabbed the entire new Asian releases collection. I think I need to curb my spending a bit more in future though, as I’ve already got over 63 PAGES of available downloads.

...at least until they release a K4 morph for Genesis :D

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 12 December 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1295
Joined  2006-08-31
HeraldOfFire - 12 December 2012 03:23 PM

.... I think I need to curb my spending a bit more in future though, as I’ve already got over 63 PAGES of available downloads…

The contents of the download pages aren’t timing out properly - I’m at 127 pages o.0 (that’s 10/page though wink... I’m not THAT bad!... I can stop any time - uhuh, yup, any time, absolutely… ooooh shiny! >_> ).

Signature 

Previous post count: 2678 Downloads Hightide Mark: 1708

Posted: 12 December 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
M F M - 12 December 2012 03:46 PM
HeraldOfFire - 12 December 2012 03:23 PM

.... I think I need to curb my spending a bit more in future though, as I’ve already got over 63 PAGES of available downloads…

The contents of the download pages aren’t timing out properly - I’m at 127 pages o.0 (that’s 10/page though wink... I’m not THAT bad!... I can stop any time - uhuh, yup, any time, absolutely… ooooh shiny! >_> ).

Those are from the last four weeks alone.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 12 December 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2010-03-25

I hope the daz people are reading this thread.
when i seen this thread i looked at my spending and i too have spent about 90% less this year compared to last. here at daz.  But my 3d expenditures are actually a little higher.. so I guess that means I spent more at other 3d sites. and I’ll admitt it is a lot because of genesis, DUF and DSA files and poser compatibility issues.
I think If Daz made it so Daz 4.5 could read and use .DAZ & .PZ3 files as it once did I think that would go along way to bring back daz to its former glory with poser users.
One good thing though. Smith Micro has not changed. how you can use poser products. you can still use older version poser products in any version of poser. I wish Daz would have done the same with their programs and the products they sell . for me its hard to spend money on products not knowing if next month they come out with a new program that you can’t use it in   Or you have to have a ton of tools and fiddle-faddlery,  No thanks
I pretty much stuck to DAZ3A and P7 & PP2012 and buy for products that I can use in those programs.  As I have stated many times.
its nice to see I am not the only one who has the same feelings..

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 12 December 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8780
Joined  2007-11-06
Ivy - 12 December 2012 10:18 PM

I think If Daz made it so Daz 4.5 could read and use .DAZ & .PZ3 files as it once did I think that would go along way to bring back daz to its former glory with poser users.
One good thing though. Smith Micro has not changed. how you can use poser products. you can still use older version poser products in any version of poser. I wish Daz would have done the same with their programs and the products they sell

DS4.5 can read .DAZ and .PZ3 files.  It won’t write .DAZ files, but you can’t read .DAZ files in a version earlier than the one it was saved in anyway.  No version of DS writes .PZ3 files.  You can still use older versions of products in DS4.5.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 12 December 2012 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-25
fixmypcmike - 12 December 2012 10:50 PM

One good thing though. Smith Micro has not changed. how you can use poser products. you can still use older version poser products in any version of poser. I wish Daz would have done the same with their programs and the products they sell

DS4.5 can read .DAZ and .PZ3 files.  It won’t write .DAZ files, but you can’t read .DAZ files in a version earlier than the one it was saved in anyway.  No version of DS writes .PZ3 files.  You can still use older versions of products in DS4.5.

after re reading this post and what I wrote i removed .. because you properly would have.,
so I’ll leave like this. its not compatible with poser. end of story.

As being a dumb blond I only buy what I can use easily. 

Signature 

My Art on Google

Posted: 13 December 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2004-11-14

I started buying again and even renewed my PC Membership again since DSON came out and we can use Genesis in Poser:)
There are still things I do not like much since they changed the Store but that is ok.

Posted: 13 December 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2249
Joined  2005-09-05

I need to restrain my spending at the moment. I bought a gift card for $200 (cost $170) last week I currently have less than $30 left so just bought a new one to get the same deal. So many good products at the moment I’m finding it hard to not spend.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 13 December 2012 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24
Ivy - 12 December 2012 11:33 PM

after re reading this post and what I wrote i removed .. because you properly would have.,

I’m curious what issues you’re having with Poser. I’ve imported a few of my scenes without much hassle, since I was a big user of Poser until recently switching to Daz. I’ve bought a lot of Genesis products lately, but the majority of my runtime is still Poser based, and all of it aside from the custom lighting can be imported into Daz without any hassle.

If you’re having troubles with particular products, it might help if you gave an example so that someone might be able to fix it, or help you better import them.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 13 December 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1822
Joined  2005-06-08

It may be my imagination, but has it gotten quieter?!?  The forums seem slower, and not just that we’re posting less but like there are fewer people posting . . . I don’t mean from the software changeover in May (although I don’t think they ever really recovered from that), but recently, in the last several weeks.  It’s almost eerie.

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 13 December 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2003-10-09
KickAir 8P - 13 December 2012 09:38 AM

It may be my imagination, but has it gotten quieter?!?  The forums seem slower, and not just that we’re posting less but like there are fewer people posting . . . I don’t mean from the software changeover in May (although I don’t think they ever really recovered from that), but recently, in the last several weeks.  It’s almost eerie.

I think that’s normal for this time of year.  People are busy with the holidays.  Online posting drops off.

It will pick up again in Jan./Feb.  Typically with a lot more flamewars, since people will be going buggy from cabin fever.

wink

Posted: 13 December 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5649
Joined  2005-08-29
KickAir 8P - 13 December 2012 09:38 AM

Everyone is trying to cut down christmas trees, wrapping gifts, those sort of things.

And spendings, there has been lot’s of great environment sets the past moths, but I agree about male outfits. Why are 80% of all fantasy outfits for females? I know Genesis is ambigenderous, but male fighters in high heels looks dreadfully right out stupid wink

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-25
HeraldOfFire - 13 December 2012 04:05 AM
Ivy - 12 December 2012 11:33 PM

I’m curious what issues you’re having with Poser. I’ve imported a few of my scenes without much hassle, since I was a big user of Poser until recently switching to Daz. I’ve bought a lot of Genesis products lately, but the majority of my runtime is still Poser based, and all of it aside from the custom lighting can be imported into Daz without any hassle.

If you’re having troubles with particular products, it might help if you gave an example so that someone might be able to fix it, or help you better import them.

There is lots I can list , But I don’t want to start a poser/daz studio war thread that has been done already and they just get the thread locked.. this is why i delete my last comment. and I have learned some people love daz4 to a point they will say anything to defend it, properly because they don’t work much with other 3d programs. or push the programs to do thing they are advertized to do such as animation.  The only promising thing i seen with genesis is the super suit.

and yes I do tend to run my mouth more than i should ,  lets just say I don’t think someone ELSE would have started this thread if people were happy with daz and buying gen5 products like they did with gen4.
I think my spending would have been more here at Daz.com if Genesis or gen 5 were not more difficult to use than gen4 , and I didn’t need to have to do so many steps to get it to work.  In Daz & poser with gen 4 we didn’t have to work so hard to make it work (especially in animation)
Daz may have fared better if people could use the Daz & poser legacy products in daz4 with out having to use goz or auto fit too ,( which i hate BTW)  Trying to use Daz studio 4 in animation is slow and buggy,  so not worth my effort in using it for ANIMATION, which is my primary interst in the daz program.
There are many legacy FX tools that do not work in Daz4 , But still work in poser, even in pp2012 , I never understood why should a artist vender have to update their older works in order to work in a new program.  They didn’t have that problem with PP2012 when it came out.  I can still use all legacy products with out a tools in order to make it work.  could you image how bad sales would drop for Adobe if they Changed the Photoshop file format so you need a special tool in order to open and work with JPG & Png or Ai files. same differences with daz 3 and 4 in my opinion.

Also in my opinion the daz4 UI (user interface) is terrible its can’t be customized to suit my work style. Undocking tabs and trying to dock them else where is not the same as the daz3 UI.  which i have set up very close to my poser. which is easier for work flow.

I’ll admit it I’m not a fan of genesis and seeming that this is what the artist and daz push to sells.They venders say that working with DUF files is easier.  Well DUF maybe so easy to create clothing models But the DUF items won’t work with gen4 and there for i can’t use it and so I won’t buy it. I don’t need genesis to make art.  if the artist venders want more sales they should make it in both .DAZ AND duf file format. even if it is a little more effort.  venders at rendo make for both.and also offer their products with legacy shader maps along with the new SSS maps, some artist venders create products that work with both gen4 & gen5 with out tools.. I can’t say I seen the same here at daz studio..com that is properly has hurt the sales the most.

Those issues are what I have just with the Daz4 program.. do you really want me to list the problems I have with the Daz web site.?

I set a fair amount of money aside for my 3D budget and I buy what i can feed Daz3a and Poser. with .DAZ & PZ3 files and screw the DUF & DSA files which I can not use with gen 4 or in poser without a stupid tool that is not easy to work with.  and if that don’t bother the Daz.com or sellers of this site that is great like i said I don’t care where i spend my money.

Have a nice day smile

Signature 

My Art on Google

5 of 14