Digital Art Zone

9 of 14
Is it just me… I just don’t spend my money at Daz anymore
Posted: 16 December 2012 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2012-05-25

perhaps the new ds5 version really would be great for Genesis?
and we can again gain money.
please develop it 1000 times better that poser users droop their tongue out of mouth tongue laugh
I do not go for less than what is available today in poser pro 2012 (expected better developed).
that means a solution for the still missed dynamic cloth creator, dynamic hair, bullet physics or other, a useful timeline to do animations.
if daz would like to come with a pro version for more pro users on the 3d market. (can’t be free)
i need budget to invest and wait till that day.

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 16 December 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3100
Joined  2009-02-24
creativemodelsbe - 16 December 2012 02:54 AM

please develop it 1000 times better that poser users droop their tongue out of mouth tongue laugh
I do not go for less than what is available today in poser pro 2012 (expected better developed).
that means a solution for the still missed dynamic cloth creator, dynamic hair, bullet physics or other, a useful timeline to do animations.
if daz would like to come with a pro version for more pro users on the 3d market. (can’t be free)

The oddity is that I believe most of those features are already a part of Carrara. Perhaps the reason those things haven’t been integrated is because you would turn Daz Studio into Carrara effectively by doing so. Of course, I’m just speculating since I haven’t actually had a hands-on with Carrara so I’m not sure exactly how different these two rendering behemoths are.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 16 December 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2012-05-25
HeraldOfFire - 16 December 2012 04:00 AM
creativemodelsbe - 16 December 2012 02:54 AM

The oddity is that I believe most of those features are already a part of Carrara. Perhaps the reason those things haven’t been integrated is because you would turn Daz Studio into Carrara effectively by doing so. Of course, I’m just speculating since I haven’t actually had a hands-on with Carrara so I’m not sure exactly how different these two rendering behemoths are.

Carrara is old, very out of date if you hold it against Blender today.
i do not expect to much new from carrara.
i read here somewhere that there is very poor development time to hold both programs alive.
studio is new and have great possibilities.

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 16 December 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12540
Joined  2007-11-06
randym77 - 15 December 2012 08:03 AM

I’ve tried Carrara, but just can’t figure it out. 

I’m just not that good at modeling.  I’ve bought Carrara, Shade, Hexagon, and tried a bunch of others.  The only one can I do anything with is Anim8or.  And I can only make fairly basic models with that.

I’m willing to try just about anything if it has something I really want.  That’s why I sunk over a thousand bucks into Vue (never mind the content).  I wanted the Ecosystem trees and stuff.  Upgraded to the last version because of the underwater caustics, and the current version because of the animated waterfalls.  But so far, there’s nothing in Genesis that makes it something I have to have.  That might change in the future, but for now, there’s nothing that inspires me to part with my money or learn new software.

...I’ve worked with Carrara before.  While I find it great for outdoor scenes that use the standard IBL lighting, haven’t used it for any indoor work as the light system is a pain to work with since it has no visible effect in OGL mode (thus requiring time consuming test renders. to see if I got it right).

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 16 December 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  2007-11-06
esther - 15 December 2012 06:07 PM

genesis figures work slowly in poser and this hasn’t been fixed yet either.  (not necessarily DAZ fault).  On top of this the link to the list of the products that have been updated to be compatible with poser has become really difficult to find (I can’t find it all today), but the links used to be in several places including they used to be on the front pages. 
Also I do not get any emails to tell me that genesis products I have bought have been updated to be compatible with poser. I don’t even know if DAZ staff are rushing to do these or not.  I feel disappointed because I spent probably close to 1000 dollars on genesis for poser stuff, but daz doesn’t seem interested in me.
Love esther

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-all?limit=60

They’ve been adding 10-20 items a week, I think.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 17 December 2012 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
fixmypcmike - 16 December 2012 08:36 PM
esther - 15 December 2012 06:07 PM

genesis figures work slowly in poser and this hasn’t been fixed yet either.  (not necessarily DAZ fault).  On top of this the link to the list of the products that have been updated to be compatible with poser has become really difficult to find (I can’t find it all today), but the links used to be in several places including they used to be on the front pages. 
Also I do not get any emails to tell me that genesis products I have bought have been updated to be compatible with poser. I don’t even know if DAZ staff are rushing to do these or not.  I feel disappointed because I spent probably close to 1000 dollars on genesis for poser stuff, but daz doesn’t seem interested in me.
Love esther

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-all?limit=60

They’ve been adding 10-20 items a week, I think.

Now, now.  You know better than to inject facts into an emotional argument…

grin

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 17 December 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12540
Joined  2007-11-06

...with this recent PC renewal snafu, looks like they’re making it tough for some of us to keep shopping here.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 19 December 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2003-10-09

allow me to inject another fact. I think most of the increase in dson compatible products is due to addition of new products.  alll the new products seem to be compatible.  eg all the horsey things. I am not at all sure that many old things have been updated and I would not know which ones.
It should be possible to work this out, but this would be a job I could maybe give to my poser secretary when he finishes running all my installers and putting all my content into external runtimes (except for genesis. i haven’t explained much about genesis to him as yet)
Love esther

Posted: 19 December 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3036
Joined  2004-04-14

Looking back over this year I would easily say DAZ3D is getting the majority of my money that I spend on 3D.  With the other two major stores, which I dont check very often, both have run out of A3 items I want and neither have anything for Genesis.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9615
Joined  2007-11-06
esther - 19 December 2012 05:17 PM

allow me to inject another fact. I think most of the increase in dson compatible products is due to addition of new products.  alll the new products seem to be compatible.  eg all the horsey things. I am not at all sure that many old things have been updated and I would not know which ones.
It should be possible to work this out, but this would be a job I could maybe give to my poser secretary when he finishes running all my installers and putting all my content into external runtimes (except for genesis. i haven’t explained much about genesis to him as yet)
Love esther

It looks like about 100 of the items came out after DS4.5.  There were about 100 on the list originally, although some of them were post-4.5 items rather than updates.  To be conservative, assume only 20 of the original 100 were post-4.5 items.  So that means about 100 older items have been updated since then.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2003-10-09

that’s very good news. I wish daz would email me and reset them all.

Posted: 29 December 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2003-10-09
DalekSupreme - 19 November 2012 12:07 AM

I hope they recover and make things easier.

Recover from what?

Do you honestly believe our change in buying habits is having any affect on DAZ’ bottom line?

If it did, do you really think they’d leave things the way they were?

The fact is even after over a decade this is still a revolving marketplace.  I’d wager a huge portion of DAZ customers weren’t here a year ago.  And I’ll bet they’ve replaced the majority of customers that left.  And you know what, a year from now, a group of us will drop out of sight but a whole new audience will replace us.

The 3D community is miniscule and mostly made of hobbyists and hobbyists have one thing in common.  The majority of them move on to something else.  When I had the time and inclination in another life, I’d go through a year old thread and marvel at how many participants no longer participate.  They just dropped off the face of the forums.  You can do the same today.  As a matter of fact, looking through current threads you’d have to admit there are a lot of new faces.  And it’s always been that way.  As long as Studio is free — even before Studio — as long as creative people discover this community and software, there is ALWAYS going to be a revolving customer base at DAZ. 

DAZ isn’t stupid.  They wouldn’t lose revenue because of reaction to a new website.  If their bottom line isn’t affected, they’ll wait it out.

kmw

Posted: 29 December 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  358
Joined  2005-11-24

Very unfortunately for my CC, I’ve had absolutely no problem spending money here.

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2003-10-09
DzFire™ - 19 November 2012 04:20 PM

Cheaper here then what I used to spend at Turbo Squid o.O

That’s actually a fairly dramatic comparison since you can say that about pretty much any shop compared to Turbo Squid.

kmw

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6137
Joined  2005-08-29

I’ve spent about 90% of this years spendings on content here on DAZ, which is an increase from last year, where it was around 75%. Spendings about the same so I’ve increased my spendings here.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

9 of 14