Digital Art Zone

1 of 14
Is it just me… I just don’t spend my money at Daz anymore
Posted: 18 November 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-03-15

Hi…

I have just checked and my spend in DAZ has dropped by 80%.

This is not just due to me not spending on Genesis… but also due to the fact that I find the new store a pain to shop in.

1: If I have already bought an item the shop no longer checks and I have to manually check over 2000 previous purchases from over the last 10 years and there is no way to search the previous purchases except page by page. this means I cannot trust the shop not to let me repeat buy an item.

2: Sometimes its hard to tell if items are for V4 or Genesis or Daz or Poser

3: I have to repeatedly sign in to the site. Annoying.

4: The download options are now just mind boggling… one item I bought recently had 6 download files! all different with different names and codes… which is the one I need to load the item into Poser on a MAC??? So I buy the product I have no faith it will work…

So in short… I don’t spend here, even though there are some good products its a pain in the neck and I spend at other sites instead.

I cannot be alone… this must be costing Daz money.

Posted: 18 November 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  725
Joined  2005-03-08

same as

so annoying seeing several download links for one item…

there should be an option for what you are buying for so as just to get that one file.

I feel like Mr Monk sometimes! rolleyes

Signature 

“I am,... Therefore I think”

Posted: 18 November 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4687
Joined  2011-11-25

I shop a lot here. I have to take a break now though with xmas coming, and other expenses.

Genesis is huge for me. I really don’t want any of the older stuff anymore. =-)

Posted: 18 November 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  825
Joined  2003-10-09
DalekSupreme - 18 November 2012 06:29 PM

Nope, you’re not alone.

I buy perhaps one item a month and that’s usually a super cheapie.  I gave up on the Platinum Club a year ago.  I have no great interest in Genesis products quite simply because I find DAZ Studio4 to be more of a problem than it’s worth.  I still use Studio3 so any products that I buy are usually older products that I get just because they go on sale and help complete my collection.

Since DAZ’s Genesis line of people don’t work in Studio3 I have very little interest in them despite the fact that I actually do own Studio4 and have the basic Genesis character items.  I just don’t have it installed on any computer anymore.  That eliminates a lot of product interest for me.  But even many of the new architectural items that have geometry files that will work in Studio4,  unfortunately have texture files and lighting files intended specificically for Studio4 so they are incompatable with Studio3.  :-( 

There is precious little reason for me to buy at DAZ anymore.  I already have a huge library of generation 3 and 4 DAZ people and their clothes, and also a huge library of architectures, and landscapes, and animals. 

Now, as you pointed out, DAZ has “improved” their website so much that I enjoy going there as much as I like rubbing sand in my eyes.  I do understand what they did and why they did it.  They unburdened themselves of a custom made webstore that was becoming difficult to maintain and bought a canned webstore and now they don’t appear to have the time or expertise or perhaps desire to customize it again to make it as useful as the old one used to be.  It’s a webstore, what more could we want from them? 

So, no!  You are not alone.  Just walk into your garden, bend down and grab a handfull of worms and start munching.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…  But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 18 November 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5236
Joined  2012-04-07

Nope, not just you. I had fond memories of past sales. This year’s was for me, a non-event. I’d buy for Genesis but they broke faith when they removed .dsf files. New store promos aren’t accurate. Sometimes ‘Daz Studio’ means “any” version, sometimes it means 4.0 and up; and sometimes/more often now it means 4.5 and up. I do not practice mind reading. Buying a file to have to return it is not fun. That procedure sometimes but not always cancels out membership, which does get straighten out but still.

I used to rely heavily on the store’s ability to remember what I had bought already save for individual items out of bundles of course.
What a nightmare.
So unless something is obviously ‘brand new’ and i know for sure that I haven’t bought it is there any remote possibility of a purchase happening. That is of course after signing in again. I don’t know if it’s a security feature hence I’ve held back on complaining about it; but this is the ‘only’ store I’ve shopped at online that never remembers me. I can be gone for weeks from others and they remember me ... seemingly quite happy to see me return.
Haven’t received a PC newsletter for a long time.
Not sure but that may be expiring soon, don’t know ... it seems to come and go without notification. Silly thing is/was there is/was no way for me to buy a month at a time, paying one month at a time. Changing payment info cancelled membership. And like, yeah right, okay.
Can’t say I’ve had that problem on any other website either.

So with my saved monies I’ve bought a new computer and life moves on.
Cheers.

Signature 

Lots of photos in my DA Gallery including PD Textures.

Posted: 18 November 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  556
Joined  2009-04-14

No, it’s not just you. I think I used to average $50 to $100 a month; last month, I think I spent less than $20, and this month I’ve spent less than $10 (and that only because I’ve been waiting for “NGM for Genesis” for like forever, and I had to have it). I’ve been getting 30% off coupons from DAZ—strangely titled “welcome back”—but until I see some improvement in DAZ’s attitude, that’s likely all they’re going to be getting from me.

Posted: 18 November 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

Hi…

This is not just due to me not spending on Genesis… but also due to the fact that I find the new store a pain to shop in.

1: If I have already bought an item the shop no longer checks and I have to manually check over 2000 previous purchases from over the last 10 years and there is no way to search the previous purchases except page by page. this means I cannot trust the shop not to let me repeat buy an item.

4: The download options are now just mind boggling… one item I bought recently had 6 download files! all different with different names and codes… which is the one I need to load the item into Poser on a MAC??? So I buy the product I have no faith it will work…

So in short… I don’t spend here, even though there are some good products its a pain in the neck and I spend at other sites instead.

yep, just you, LOL.

1. it’s called personal responsibility. i keep track of what i buy so looking up something i am not sure i have already purchased, either here, or elsewhere isn’t a biggie.

2. i don’t have problems knowing what is what. I use genesis mostly, but have a big collection of V4 stuff and still buy V4 addons to use on genesis.

3, no problems with logging in or using the store.

4. have to agree, the different files are a bit confusing, but far from keeping me from purchasing anything…yet.

I have a pretty good idea of what kinds of things i need for my projects, so i am selective in what i buy and from whom, but i do like getting a good deal and always check things out to see what deals i can get. Love fast grab.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-03-15
FSMCDesigns - 18 November 2012 10:42 PM

Hi…

yep, just you, LOL.

1. it’s called personal responsibility. i keep track of what i buy so looking up something i am not sure i have already purchased, either here, or elsewhere isn’t a biggie.

2. i don’t have problems knowing what is what. I use genesis mostly, but have a big collection of V4 stuff and still buy V4 addons to use on genesis.

3, no problems with logging in or using the store.

4. have to agree, the different files are a bit confusing, but far from keeping me from purchasing anything…yet.

I have a pretty good idea of what kinds of things i need for my projects, so i am selective in what i buy and from whom, but i do like getting a good deal and always check things out to see what deals i can get. Love fast grab.

Clearly not just me LOL!

1: Yea personal responsibility is fine however I don’t have the problem at renderosity and never used to have the problem at Daz for 10 years until now. maybe I should travel back in time and tell myself that DAZ wont bother to have this failsafe anymore and make notes of the 280 pages of purchases I made in the past.

2: Fine if you use Genesis/Daz but I don’t.

3: yea its just an annoyance.

The issue is really that this is reducing a number of customer’s spend at DAZ, I don’t really care that much as its not my business that is being affected but if I was an owner/shareholder or vendor at Daz I would be concerned.

Retailers that make the buying experience less user-friendly tend to suffer in the middle to long run. History is littered with great company names that die because they forget the customer.

I used to love shopping at Daz. Now I don’t, so I don’t.  I hope they recover and make things easier.

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18

I don’t spend as much anymore either for a variety of reasons. love me some genesis though, just seems like I got everything I need. And I have a ton of V4 stuff i got before i switched over I still haven’t used…

So to each his own. But not spending isn’t a bad thing like some would make it out to be.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14

Rather than spend money at DAZ, I am actually getting busy “making art”. 

Which is why I actually purchased a copy of Poser 5 and joined DAZ back in Dec 04.

Over the past couple of months, I have been
1.  creating sets for my graphic novel,
2.  successfully learning to retexture items in both Poser and Photoshop Elements, and
3.  converting a bunch of free pose sets for DAZ Gen3/Gen4 characters over to other (non-DAZ) characters.

I have also been learning the mysteries of Hexagon while kit-bashing a number of items.

DAZ’s loss has been my gain.

Of course, if they ever un-FUBAR the store, I’ll probably purchase more.  I am not holding out a lot of hope for that, because DAZ just doesn’t appear to understand that making the store harder to use isn’t very conducive to shopping.

Like a lot of folks here, I am not going to spend time rooting through the 2,300 items or so that I have bought before I make a purchase.  And as long as the vendors continue to make the same type of items over and over (and over and over) again, I don’t see many reasons to wander though the store.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi…

I have to agree with most of your points.
Point 1:  This is probably my biggest problem.  I’m still new to 3D work and it’s pure hobby for me, so I don’t spend nearly the money a lot of other people do, but going through pages of previous purchases is a pain.  And as for “Personal Responsibilty”, that’s like saying there shouldn’t be “Wrong Way” signs on the road.  Yea, I should know, but make it easy - especially if you want my money.

Point 2:  This only bugs me if I don’t know if the item is antiquated.  Shaders and such for Daz 2 or 3 may not work, or they might, can’t tell.

Point 3: Yea, Daz doesn’t remember me, but my browser has the username/password logged.  No biggie for me.

Point 4:  Strongly agree.  I don’t need legacy and PC downloads, give me an option to filter.  Again, make it easy for me to spend my money, and you’ll get more of it.

Just my 2 cents.  Thanks for listening.  smile

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  307
Joined  2011-01-22
Patience55 - 18 November 2012 07:17 PM

Nope, not just you. I had fond memories of past sales. This year’s was for me, a non-event. I’d buy for Genesis but they broke faith when they removed .dsf files. New store promos aren’t accurate. Sometimes ‘Daz Studio’ means “any” version, sometimes it means 4.0 and up; and sometimes/more often now it means 4.5 and up. I do not practice mind reading. Buying a file to have to return it is not fun. That procedure sometimes but not always cancels out membership, which does get straighten out but still.

I don’t really mind if the characters work on 4.0 or 4.5.

What really gets to me though is with the way they update.

I just purchased a new laptop last week and reinstalled, and apparently there’s an *entirely new* version of Daz 4.5 up for download..

Since when?

Anyway, thew new 4.5 works better than the old, but I wish there was some sort of notification in my e-mail.

Also, with reference to the products.  I like what Genesis has to offer, but I still think the Gen 4 products were/are more creative.  I can’t imagine starting Daz now without having though in runtime. As a matter of fact, I can’t imagine just starting out daz right now.  Coming as a new beginner, you’d have no idea what the previous generation characters were all about… and why there’s a distinction between them in genesis.

Anyway, I can’t complain too much since I still purchase stuff.

/2 cents

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12540
Joined  2007-11-06

...that is one of the main reasons I have GenX and the “legacy” shapes.  I can get better joint bends and am able to mix a wide array of morphs/figures while still using all my favourite figures, characters, clothing, and hair content.

I that way, Genesis is a success for me.

...and as many may know, I was a real skeptic about all this.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2006-07-28

Absolutely not alone.

When I had to reinstall everything on my computer, I pulled all the records of my purchases from DAZ (back when it was easy to get your history) and the other stores.  I maintain those records, but it’s still an annoyance to have to check whether I’ve purchased something.

The amount of money I spend at DAZ decreased dramatically because of Genesis, and I don’t see that changing all that much ... even with DSON.  I did pick up the basics for Genesis during the PC sale, but I’m not satisfied with Genesis in Poser.  If I need better bending than V4 offers, I’d rather use weight mapped V4.  She works far better than Genesis as I don’t get the odd shoulder crumpling I get with Genesis.  Converting clothing to fit weight mapped V4 clothing results in better fitting clothing than the DSON clothing for Genesis.

Then too, I don’t use weight mapped V4 all that much either, since the problems with standard V4 are easy for me to fix /shrug.

Even though some vendors still support Gen 4, and I do appreciate that, most of what’s produced is not different enough from what I’ve already purchased.  So, I tend to wishlist rather than purchase now, and primarily purchase when those products that interest me are on a 50% or more off sale.

I agree the store is still an obstacle ... even though there have been some improvements.  Unfortunately, the checkout procedure hasn’t been improved at all and is a great annoyance to me.

Still, I don’t really mind all the inconveniences and the lack of products that interest me.  I’m still a few months short of my savings goal.  Once I reach that goal, I’m sure I can think of another goal.  After all, I still have my eye on a Prius ...

Hi…

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 19 November 2012 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2005-09-05
SereneNight - 18 November 2012 06:46 PM

Genesis is huge for me. I really don’t want any of the older stuff anymore. =-)

Ditto…don’t shop at the other places much anymore as they don’t have a lot for Genesis. Occasionally at Rendo but that is it.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 19 November 2012 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2008-05-31

Hi…

You can use this to search your history, it can also check for duplicate purchases (doesn’t include bundles yet, but I’m working on it).

It’s for Windows, but there is also a version (not available on the download page yet) that will run on a Mac if you’re using Wine or CrossOver. 

http://taosoft.dk/software/dazhm/

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

1 of 14