Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
What’s different between Poser and Daz Studio?
Posted: 18 November 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1815
Joined  2005-06-08

Something I haven’t seen mentioned (but very important to me, it’s a feature I use all the time) is that in DAZ Studio you can look through spotlights and distant lights as if they were cameras, and in Poser you can’t.

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 18 November 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11053
Joined  2007-11-06

...yes incredibly valuable.

That is something I wish I had available when I was theatrical lighting tech back in college.  Ever try to fine tune the aim of a 30# spotlight that’s on (and very hot) while straddling the top rung of a nearly two story tall free standing ladder?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Kyoto Kid - 18 November 2012 07:15 PM

...yes incredibly valuable.

That is something I wish I had available when I was theatrical lighting tech back in college.  Ever try to fine tune the aim of a 30# spotlight that’s on (and very hot) while straddling the top rung of a nearly two story tall free standing ladder?

Once…then I went back to playing with speakers and sound boards. 

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...smart decision.

Back then people would ask me if I got “high” and I would tell them “only when setting up lights for the next production.”

*badoom shhhhh*

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-04-13
KickAir 8P - 18 November 2012 07:03 PM

Something I haven’t seen mentioned (but very important to me, it’s a feature I use all the time) is that in DAZ Studio you can look through spotlights and distant lights as if they were cameras, and in Poser you can’t.

In Poser you can. Poser calls them shadow cams. Select them like any other camera.
Poser 7

Image Attachments
ShadowCam.jpg

Posted: 19 November 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  907
Joined  2007-01-04

In a nutshell, the two programs are completely different, despite doing a similar job, on top of that the content from one program isn’t compatible with the other program, DS has always used an import plugin to convert Poser formats into something it can use, and now Poser9 SR3 needs a plugin to convert DS4’s DSON format into something it can use.

Even with those plugins there are still gray areas between the two programs, dynamics, surface settings, shaders etc.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 19 November 2012 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2004-04-25

Originally there was one main difference between Poser and DS.  Poser was a “complete” package that carried a pretty hefty price tag. 

Once Poser Pro Pack was introduced (add on to Poser 4), Poser users has python scripting and the set up room.

Poser 5 introduced the cloth room, hair room, face room, material room and rather useless content room.

DS was designed to be modular.  You had the base program which was free and you could expand its features through the purchase of plugins. 

DS uses QT as its scripting language rather than Python.  Materials render differently not because one is “better” than the other but because the two apps use different render engines.  DS uses 3Delight natively and Poser uses Firefly.

Both apps have their good and not so good points.  We still use DS3A for some work but haven’t done much with DS4 on the professional end.

I’m sure that are others who can give you more info or if you need more, ask.

Basically both are tools that can get your work done either faster or slower depending upon your experience, workflow and pipeline.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 19 November 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1815
Joined  2005-06-08
Eximorph - 18 November 2012 09:04 PM
KickAir 8P - 18 November 2012 07:03 PM

In Poser you can. Poser calls them shadow cams. Select them like any other camera . . .

I didn’t know that, I always heard Poser couldn’t do it — little experience myself, every time I’ve tried Poser I was always thrown by my strong dislike of the GUI (but that’s off-topic, sorry).

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 19 November 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

DAZ Studio has Genesis, an outstanding STANDARD GUI, a fabulous system to organize morphs, Genesis, a decent render engine, and did I mention it has Genesis?

Poser has a kick ass render engine, a decent cloth editor, a piss poor hair editor (it actually sux), but it absolutely does have my favourite light controls ever made.  I’ve never seen anything else that makes it so easy to control lights.  I’d love to see a pluggin for D|S that gives us the same type of controls.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-05

The dynamic cloth room, to me, is the single most important feature that puts Poser on the top of my pile.  I’ve had great success in clothifying various conforming skirts and dresses to make them drape naturally from a wide variety of poses.  You can even toss in a little breeze effect to kick it up an even bigger notch.

Signature 

http://lady-morana.deviantart.com/

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

I’m having trouble with Cloth in D|S4.5, all the freestuff I got from http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/ no longer loads… :(  That said, the Dynamic Cloth from Optitex is lightyears ahead of anything Poser can do… the drawback is you have to get it from Optitex, you cannot make it yourself, so that’s why Poser has the edge on Dynamic Cloth.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
wancow - 19 November 2012 09:14 AM

DAZ Studio has Genesis, an outstanding STANDARD GUI, a fabulous system to organize morphs, Genesis, a decent render engine, and did I mention it has Genesis?

Poser has a kick ass render engine, a decent cloth editor, a piss poor hair editor (it actually sux), but it absolutely does have my favourite light controls ever made.  I’ve never seen anything else that makes it so easy to control lights.  I’d love to see a pluggin for D|S that gives us the same type of controls.

...I find Poser’s light controls to be less intuitive than Daz’s.  From my perspective, the Daz Studio light system works much like theatrical lighting which I have done in RL.  Transition and rotation is almost identical to stage lighting so I have little difficulty setting up even large light arrays.

The manipulation controls in Poser don’t have that same familiar “feel”.

I do agree that the Firefly engine is more efficient as even on my old 32 bit notebook I can use IBL and AO without it crashing the render like it does in 3Delight, and until the release of 4.5Pro, it was noticeably faster.  The one feature I like of Pro 2010/2012 is the ability to render in background or outside the app using the Queue Manager.  This is a huge benefit for those such as myself who are on older systems with limited memory and processing resources.

Outside of the obvious (user created dynamics) I would like to see the above rendering options brought into Daz Studio.

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4924
Joined  2008-03-06
Kyoto Kid - 19 November 2012 11:32 PM
wancow - 19 November 2012 09:14 AM

...I find Poser’s light controls to be less intuitive than Daz’s.  From my perspective, the Daz Studio light system works much like theatrical lighting which I have done in RL.  Transition and rotation is almost identical to stage lighting so I have little difficulty setting up even large light arrays.

The manipulation controls in Poser don’t have that same familiar “feel”.

I do agree that the Firefly engine is more efficient as even on my old 32 bit notebook I can use IBL and AO without it crashing the render like it does in 3Delight, and until the release of 4.5Pro, it was noticeably faster.  The one feature I like of Pro 2010/2012 is the ability to render in background or outside the app using the Queue Manager.  This is a huge benefit for those such as myself who are on older systems with limited memory and processing resources.

Outside of the obvious (user created dynamics) I would like to see the above rendering options brought into Daz Studio.

My experience is completely opposite when it comes to PP2012 and DS4.5 Pro.  Both of these are 64 bit applications on a six-core i7 with an Nvidia GTX 560 in Windows 7.

I regularly do renders in DS4.5 at 1600x3200 for Rendo with UberEnvironment in a large light setup, similar render settings, DOF on, and pixel sample rate at 0.2, and it takes three hours for a one-character scene.  I can’t even render at that size with DOF, IBl lights and indirect lighting in PP2012 because I can’t afford to let it run eight hours when I’ve got work to do on the machine (if it doesn’t completely choke on any distant background with DOF on and force me to render twice, blur filter the background, and composite them in post).

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...notice I mentioned “until the release of 4.5 Pro” which I agree has much improved memory management over older versions of the app and an entirely new 3Delight that handles ray tracing and shadow mapping more efficiently than it’s predecessors.  Rendering time for relatively simple scenes with the standard (non UE) lighting and shadow mapping takes a minute or less at 800 x 1100 size.

My comparison was based on render performance between Studio 3Advanced to PP 2010 on my old notebook. Pro 2010 won hands down, rendering a similar scene in about one fourth the time (rendering in background mode) compared to Studio3 Advanced.  Adding IBL & AO with raytracing crashed 3Advanced, but in Pro2010 the process completed successfully and still took less time than S3A with just normal lights and shadow mapping.

This was performed with the 32 bit versions of both apps on a duo core system with Intel integrated graphics and a maximum usable RAM limit of 2GB.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4924
Joined  2008-03-06

Oh, my bad!  I thought you meant DS was doing WORSE since 4.5 :-D DS3 definitely has some issues in terms of freezing and crashing that are less apt to occur in the new version; although I never used the 32 bit version they did exist in the 64.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

2 of 2