Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
The 3DCheapskate’s pictures [Latest: Dawn Raid [Version 2]]
Posted: 17 November 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  488
Joined  2007-09-01

After several years of just fiddling with DAZ Studio and Poser I think it’s about time to hit that ‘Render’ button for real, and see what other people think. The two pictures I’ve already uploaded elsewhere because I thought they were good pictures (not perfect, just good). Constructive criticism is always very welcome, even on the older pictures.

Terracotta Samurai - this post
Siam Sunset - post #1
Yaak - post #2
Yak Grot (Angry Giant) - post #4
Single Combat - post #5
Skulking Yak - post #6
A Small Request - post #7
Here Miss, Let Me Help You… - post #9
Here Miss, Let Me Help You… (Part 2) - post #10
Ancient Warrior - post #11
Dragons and primitives (WorldBall tests) - post #12
Earth Environs worldball set promo render - post #13
Cinderside worldball set promo render - post #14
My Favourite Left-Handed Warrior Girl (Caucasian Style) - post #16
You Watch My Back… - post #19
The Martian Princess (WIP) - starts at post #20
The Martian Princess - In Alabaster - post #23
Warrior Maiden, S.E. Asian Style - post #26
Dawn Raid [Version 2] - post #29

Terracotta Samurai

So here’s the first “Terracotta Samurai” (uploaded to ShareCG and Renderosity)

No postwork except composition (i.e. adding background and titles). Rendered in Poser 6 using:
- “Michael 3” by DAZ
- “M3 Normans Outfit” by Lourdes at ShareCG
- Katana from “Katana set for M3” by Arki at RuntimeDNA
- “Samurai Helmet for Poser” by Daramski at ShareCG
- Mail textures from my “Tileable Mail Textures 3-6 (Kusari)” at ShareCG
(The Norman Kite Shield is a prop I’m working on - there’s currently no back or straps to it!)
(The rising sun texture for the shield, and the terracotta textures for the clothing and helmet are ones I created specifically for this render)

Image Attachments
NormanSamuraiPosed.jpg
 Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 17 November 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Siam Sunset

And the second (the source for one of my avatars) - “Siam Sunset” (uploaded to Renderosity)

No postwork. Rendered in Poser 6 using:
- M3 (DAZ)
- Vietcong Tuong and Vietcong Hong morphs and textures for M3 (Vanishing Point)
- M3 Norman Outfit pants (Lourdes)
- V4.2 with Morphs++ (DAZ)
- Kaileena for PBIV for V4 - texture and outfit (Pretty3D)
- Fantasy Warrior Hair (Pretty3D)
- Morphing ground prop (Porsimo)
- Dha and Chedi (my own freebies)
(The shields and helmet are freebies I’m still trying to get right!)

There’s a variation of my favourite left-handed warrior girl in post #16

Image Attachments
SiamSunset819x946(00e).jpg
 Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 17 November 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Yaak

And now one I’ve just done today - “Yaak” (uploaded to DeviantArt, Renderosity, and ShareCG)

No postwork except composition (i.e. adding background and titles). Rendered in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced using:
- The FREAK (from DAZ3D)
- Shackles and loincloth (from DAZ3D)
- Sword and shield (my own freebies)

Image Attachments
Yaak!.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 17 November 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4894
Joined  2004-07-01
3dcheapskate - 17 November 2012 07:32 AM

And now one I’ve just done today - “Yaak” (uploaded to DeviantArt, Renderosity, and ShareCG)

No postwork except composition (i.e. adding background and titles). Rendered in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced using:
- The FREAK (from DAZ3D)
- Shackles and loincloth (from DAZ3D)
- Sword and shield (my own freebies)

like this one

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Yak Grot

ยักษ์โกรธ ‘Yak Grot’ (Angry Giant)

A modified version of the previous upload, ‘Yaak’. The same setup, but I did a bit of fiddling around in DAZ Studio: adjusted the pose and expression; added some bump and displacement to the giant, loincloth, manacles, and sword grip; added some ray-traced reflection to the sword blade; added some blood-spatter to the shield texture in GIMP and used the modified texture; used my ‘DMS(Basic)’ DAZ Studio shader to combine some blood-spatter with the giant’s skin texture directly on the Surfaces tab..

No postwork, just layered composition and the addition of a shadow in GIMP.

21 Nov: image changed from DS preview screenshot to a ‘splatterless’ version of the render.
23 Nov: I’m obviously being overcautious - my little bit of blood-spatter’s nothing compared to RawArt’s Severed Man, so I’ve changed the image to the full render.

Image Attachments
YakGrot.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 21 November 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Single Combat

Trying to inject a little action into the renders now but something’s not quite right I think?  My yak seems to be floating rather than leaping…

DAZ Studio 3 again, using some Mytilus and Pretty3D stuff from Renderosity (‘Action Poses’  building and Fantasy Warrior Hair)

Image Attachments
YakAttack.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Skulking Yak

Just found a render that I’d somehow accidentally saved while working on ideas for the previous image. I quite like it.

Image Attachments
Skulking_Yak.png
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 22 November 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

A Small Request

My first attempt at a comic-strip style…

...and a little teaser for a simple addition that’ll make my ‘PropGoto+’ script useable with other props.

Image Attachments
JamesRequest.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 23 November 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1394
Joined  2010-03-25

I like it.. web comics are always fun smile

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 05 December 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Here Miss, Let Me Help You…

I think this one should definitely be part of a sequence… (thanks Ivy, you inspired me!)

This is a crop from the original render, which I did to fit my desktop at 1366x768, but I’m not sure whether the crop improves it?  Reduced version of the uncropped image below the main image.

I’m no expert, but I think my lighting is improving? Four infinite lights here, all with AO on at default settings, only one with shadows (raytraced with a moderate blur radius)
- Two at the same position upper right front, one to cast shadows, the other without (so the shadows aren’t too dark - I find this is a nice way to control shadows, balancing the intensity between these two).
- One lower left front, no shadows, to give some light to the un-illuminated areas, and another upper left front to do the same.

[size=1]Poser 9 render (no postwork - although the guy’s shoulders really could do with some).
- Behemoth, F202 Dollie (including hair and bikini) all freebies picked up over the past few years.
- I used the V3 remap of F202 Dollie and used the V3RR texture (picked up here at DAZ when V3RR was free)
- Background is one of the tropical textures for the DAZ multiplane cyclorama, picked up in a 99¢ sale here at DAZ by my PC alter-ego (I got the DAZ environments and most of their textures like that)
- Water jar, lid, and scoop are un-UV-mapped models I made and forgot about. Just applied some simple procedural textures (clay for the clay pot, turbulence for the wooden lid, and granite(!) for the coconut scoop). I think I’ll tidy those up and release them as a freebie.[/size

Image Attachments
LetMeHelpYou(Crop).jpgLetMeHelpYou(full,reduced).jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Here Miss, Let Me Help You… (Part 2)

Image Attachments
LetMeHelpPart2.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 06 February 2013 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Ancient Warrior

Figure is M3 (with a mixture of Vanishing Point’s Viet Cong character morphs and textures plus some material room fiddling). Sword, shield and helmet are my own (first two are released freebies, helmet’s a WIP). He’s overlaid on one of my photos (Prasat Hin Phanom Rung in Thailand). I’m really pleased with the way the shield looks - well worth the time and effort I put into it! The mesh and UV-mapping of the helmet’s chinstrap need a lot more work - as I said, it’s a WIP But the sword - hmmm…. there’s something wrong with the textures on the released model. I’ll need to look into that.

Image Attachments
Tahaan.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 12 April 2013 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

I’m playing with DIY environment maps and IBL light probes at the moment - just posted some test environment/light probe images in the Freepozitory here.To create each environment map/light probe pair I create a simple world in Terragen Classic and render six 90° FOV images (up/down, left/right, back/front), arrange them into a vertical cross cubemap in GIMP, and convert the cubemap to an equirectangular map (for environments) and an angular map (for light probes) in HDRShop. Easy, and with totally free software.

I’m using the environment maps/light probes from post #5 and 6 in these Poser 6 renders. The lat/long map is applied to my own environment sphere, and also as a reflection map for the shiny ball. The angular map is used for a Diffuse IBL light, no AO. I’ve also got a second light for sun shadows. The light intenstities are roughly 50% each for diffuse IBL and infinte light, adjusted to suit each image.

It’s obvious that the resolution for the environment map that I mapped onto the inside of an environment sphere needs to be better a better quality JPG and/or a higher resolution image.

Image Attachments
Render_4.jpgRender_6.jpgRender_7.jpgRender_8.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 12 July 2013 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Final test render for the first outer space WorldBall environment set…

Poser 6, 35mm, background/lighting using only the WorldBall and the new environment set. The only other things in the scene are Sixus 1’s HIM Tactical Space Suit (with the Poser 6 disembodied head in the helmet) and the Franz Munz alien drone.

Image Attachments
EarthEnvironsPromoP6.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 04 August 2013 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Test/promo render for the ‘Cinderside’ WorldBall environment set. DAZ Studio 3 render - just a camera, Dinokanda, Zubarra, and the WorldBall (WorldBall, Sun, IBL, Ground) in the scene.

Image Attachments
CinderSide_Battle.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 04 August 2013 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2003-10-09

Your texturing and lighting are really nice. The may you can make the details pop and still work together rather than stealing the scene..it sure looks to me like you have a real eye for composition.

1 of 2

[ Under water      Dark Side ]