Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Expected Release Date & Capabilities of the Install Manager
Posted: 18 November 2012 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

After dealing with DAZ installers for years, I can’t wait to see what this disaster brings.

Seems DAZ is always wanting to do more and more for me when I didn’t need the help in the first place. DAZ keeps coming up with these fancy tech ways to do something that is as simple as unzip and drag and drop. It seems to me these DAZ installers are turning in to Rube Goldberg machines.

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04
ManStan - 18 November 2012 07:43 AM

After dealing with DAZ installers for years, I can’t wait to see what this disaster brings.

Seems DAZ is always wanting to do more and more for me when I didn’t need the help in the first place. DAZ keeps coming up with these fancy tech ways to do something that is as simple as unzip and drag and drop. It seems to me these DAZ installers are turning in to Rube Goldberg machines.

If it is able to let you know when a product has an update I would think it would be well worth it. I am hoping it doesn’t stop there and will include many other things that will make our life easier when it comes to keeping track of and installing content.

Edited to replace are for our. Shouldn’t be in the forum when I first wake up.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 18 November 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15599
Joined  2003-10-09

As it is an optional extra the solution is easy for you Stan.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 18 November 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
chohole - 18 November 2012 09:47 AM

As it is an optional extra the solution is easy for you Stan.

Agree, like CMS if you don’t want it you don’t have to run it. Give me the old fashion, I know where my content is because I put it there, zip file.

The DAZ installers are one of my top 5 DAZ gripes. As far as keeping track of updates all DAZ has to do for me is reset them to my available downloads. I check them once a week anyway.

Posted: 20 November 2012 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  996
Joined  2007-10-17

Hey guys,
Sorry about the issues in this thread. There were some statements that were confusing and inaccurate and others that simply shouldn’t have been made about our Installer replacement software. While I won’t use the dreaded “Soon” I will say it is being worked on, has some features we are excited about and we believe you will be equally excited about.

May I please suggest we just leave it at that and get back to creating art. smile

Image Attachments
Crowd3.jpg

Posted: 20 November 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2657
Joined  2004-04-25
DAZ_Spooky - 20 November 2012 09:58 PM

Hey guys,
Sorry about the issues in this thread. There were some statements that were confusing and inaccurate and others that simply shouldn’t have been made about our Installer replacement software. While I won’t use the dreaded “Soon” I will say it is being worked on, has some features we are excited about and we believe you will be equally excited about.

May I please suggest we just leave it at that and get back to creating art. smile

So, which statements are inaccurate and which should not have been made? 

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 21 November 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
icprncss - 20 November 2012 10:33 PM

Hey guys,

I will edit the front page now so there is no confusion.

Edited to say: On second thought someone else did it for me.

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  996
Joined  2007-10-17
Ledhead - 21 November 2012 11:44 AM
icprncss - 20 November 2012 10:33 PM

Hey guys,

I will edit the front page now so there is no confusion.

Thanks

Posted: 05 December 2012 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2004-11-09

Hey guys,

Well, I am still buying more stuff than I am downloading and installing, so I am really looking forward to this tool. For example, I still have not touched Genesis, though I have been keeping up (I was going to skip S5, but in the recent 70% off sale, I caved and picked her up). As I have mentioned before, back when I was more active in the forums, the current installers punish your biggest spenders the most. My patience is reaching a breaking point—i.e. why should I continue to spend money on content I am not even downloading? I would rather see a trimmed down download manager now than one with tons of bells and whistles that I have to continue to wait on. Heck, I would be happy if you just Windows users a Zip file download option, including for all the old content. That alone would make downloading and installing the content much, much easier.

Anyway, that’s why some of your customers are very, very anxious to see this download manager released!!

Posted: 05 December 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2004-11-09

I guess a question worth asking is if DAZ would be willing to release the Zip files before the download manager is ready (as an alternate option to the installers)? This would be a huge boon to me!!

Posted: 05 December 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
argel1200 - 05 December 2012 07:14 PM

I guess a question worth asking is if DAZ would be willing to release the Zip files before the download manager is ready (as an alternate option to the installers)? This would be a huge boon to me!!

I agree with that. It would actually make sense to have the zips available for downloading on the new items when purchased so there is not a mad scramble when the zips become available after the release of the Install Manager.

Signature 

2 of 2