Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Expected Release Date & Capabilities of the Install Manager
Posted: 15 November 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

I would like to know what the expected release date & capabilities are with the forthcoming Install Manager and the New Zip format for DS 4.5. (Last edited 11/19/12)

Expected Release Date: One day closer than yesterday

1) Will the Install Manager be able to keep track of what is installed?

Yes - per Richard Haseltine 11/16/12

2) Will the Install Manager be able to connect to DAZ and notify you of updates?

3) Will the Install Manager be able to connect to DAZ and not let you repurchase an item?

4) Will the Install Manager be able to see what is already installed in DS or will it need to be reinstalled with the New Zip format?

5) Will the Install Manager be able to manage or categorize the content as installed into DS? (question edited 11/16/12)

6) Will the Install Manager be able to show a list of what has been installed?

7) Will the Install Manager be able to install several New Zips at one time?

8) Will the New Zips have version numbers or will that be in the executable?

9) Will the New Zips have Meta Data for all of them?

but I would expect so - per Richard Haseltine 11/16/12

10) Will the New Zips only work with the Install Manager or can they be a stand alone product?

will be usable stand-alone, the Install Manager will be optional - per Richard Haseltine 11/16/12

If any one else can think of any other pertinent questions, please do so and I will add them to the list. If you feel an existing question in the list needs clarification or something added or something taken away please feel free to express yourself.

I made this list because I am trying to categorize my content, but I installed way too much at one time to be able to do it properly. So now I want to uninstall everything or just about everything and organize it as I reinstall it. But I do not want to waste all of the time it is going to take if the Install Manager is not going to recognize the existing installed content for update purposes or whatever else the capabilities are going to be with it.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 16 November 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14771
Joined  2003-10-09

Several of those questions have not been answered, and it’s possible that some of the answers that have been given may have been overtaken by events, but as I recall:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) -
4) -
5) not sure what you mean
6) -
7) Yes
8) -
9) -, but I would expect so
10) will be usable stand-alone, the Install manger will be optional

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 16 November 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
Richard Haseltine - 16 November 2012 06:08 AM

Several of those questions have not been answered, and it’s possible that some of the answers that have been given may have been overtaken by events, but as I recall:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) -
4) -
5) not sure what you mean
6) -
7) Yes
8) -
9) -, but I would expect so
10) will be usable stand-alone, the Install manger will be optional

TY for your answers Richard. If you could find out about any others it certainly would be appreciated.

What I mean on question 5 is will we be able to organize the content as installed with the Install Manager or will the content still have to be managed inside DS?

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Ledhead - 16 November 2012 10:02 AM

What I mean on question 5 is will we be able to organize the content as installed with the Install Manager or will the content still have to be managed inside DS?

I suspect, from what was said previously, that moving content within the content directory will not be supported (that is, doing so will break the linkages) - but it was said that it would support multiple content directories.

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2004-11-09

Hey Richard, any word on a release date?

Posted: 16 November 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16386
Joined  2003-10-09

Are you tempting Richard to post 4 letter words.  cheese

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 16 November 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
Richard Haseltine - 16 November 2012 01:38 PM

I suspect, from what was said previously, that moving content within the content directory will not be supported (that is, doing so will break the linkages) - but it was said that it would support multiple content directories.

So if we use the Install Manager, yet organize content inside of DS, DAZ will no longer support what the Install Manager is capable of?
Not to happy to hear that when there is no organization of content. I am guessing the Install Manager would be worthless to me then because, unlike DAZ,  I am all about organization.

Sorry about ranting, but I was certainly hoping for more. If only someone at DAZ would sit down and say “We need some changes as to the way everything is installed”, if only.

Edited: I read your post again Richard and come to the realization that maybe I misunderstood what you said.

Will categorizing Smart Content disrupt it’s ability or is that included when you say moving things around inside the content directory?

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I wouldn’t dare venture the four-letter word - I really don’t have any of that kind of information, all my answers above are based on what has been posted publicly. If I did know more I would be under a vow of secrecy, and no number of alluring seductresses sent my way would persuade me to impart my knowledge (not that I wish to discourage alluring seductresses, of course).

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Ledhead - 16 November 2012 03:58 PM
Richard Haseltine - 16 November 2012 01:38 PM

So if we use the Install Manager, yet organize content inside of DS, DAZ will no longer support what the Install Manager is capable of?
Not to happy to hear that when there is no organization of content. I am guessing the Install Manager would be worthless to me then because, unlike DAZ,  I am all about organization.

Sorry about ranting, but I was certainly hoping for more. If only someone at DAZ would sit down and say “We need some changes as to the way everything is installed”, if only.

Edited: I read your post again Richard and come to the realization that maybe I misunderstood what you said.

Will categorizing Smart Content disrupt it’s ability or is that included when you say moving things around inside the content directory?

This was discussed, but very early on - my understanding at the tiem was that moving actual files around would break things, but I’ve no idea if that is going to be true of the released product. It would certainly be useful, to me as a fellow content-organiser, if it would at least alert us to updates still.

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04

Would this alluring seductress help shake your vow of secrecy?

Image Attachments
pic0002.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Consider me shaken.

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
Richard Haseltine - 16 November 2012 04:48 PM

Consider me shaken.

I knew it would work, now spit it out .... lol.

I understand you can share either all you know or all you are allowed to share.

Would you mind if I just made stuff up and put your name on it? LOL

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01
Richard Haseltine - 16 November 2012 04:48 PM

Consider me shaken.

LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 16 November 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1945
Joined  2011-07-31

I’m positive it will be released before I become fluent in Russian.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

Posted: 18 November 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3670
Joined  2004-10-01
chohole - 16 November 2012 03:00 PM

Do you refer to the other word for anon? wink

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 18 November 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16386
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 18 November 2012 06:24 AM
chohole - 16 November 2012 03:00 PM

Do you refer to the other word for anon? wink

yes

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

1 of 2