Digital Art Zone

54 of 91
SITE UPDATES, ANNOUNCEMENTS, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE INFORMATION
Posted: 04 August 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 796 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2009-08-11
Miss Bad Wolf - 02 August 2012 09:44 PM

How will we know the difference between the old mac zip files and the new universal zip files?  that is without opening them up?

I was wondering this, also.  I guess by the name - but will DAZ be putting a consistent identifier in the new file names so we’ll be able to distinguish that?

Signature 

“quack?”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cOLor wHeeL faCts .

Posted: 04 August 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 797 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-11

ok, down to business. 

I’m here because I need to know how to delete a new account with no activity yet.  I’m saying actually DELETE or REMOVE.

We’ve looked on the site everywhere and there’s nothing turning up in even the knowledge base.

Please someone give us this information if you know.  ~ Thanks in advance! 

btw, are they intending to fix this “double-return” business for the posts?

Signature 

“quack?”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cOLor wHeeL faCts .

Posted: 04 August 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 798 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7538
Joined  2006-03-19

You will have to contact customer support

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 04 August 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 799 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-11

Thanks, Frank.  Was starting to feel like Hotel California.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 800 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2007-02-16

Thanks for the reply Dana. I’m glad to know it’s not just my slower connection then and others on high speed internet are having problems as well with loading times. Hopefully this means the issue isn’t actually fixed and it will continue to be looked into and hopefully improved. I tried looking through the store the other day for something to use my PC coupon on and OMG it took forever just going through a handful of pages in the store catalog (that was without loading the product pages, just clicking through a couple of pages in the Daz Original category). I gave up on it since I had more important things to do -_-

Posted: 05 August 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 801 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10767
Joined  2007-11-06
Kerya - 03 August 2012 12:54 AM
Kyoto Kid - 02 August 2012 10:44 PM

..universal zip files?  So this means that when I download a file I’m getting both the PC and MAC versions even though I only work on the PC platform?  That is a waste of download bandwidth especially if you have a slow or spotty connection and/or monthly download limitations.

No, not like that. You get a zip that works on PC and Mac, just like at Renderosity or Runtimedna or most of the Sharecg files. The two versions at Daz were necessary because they used installers and exe wouldn’t have run on Macs.

DanaTA - 03 August 2012 12:58 AM

It seems that the Macs can read and use the same files that we do…the only reason they had separate files here at DAZ3D is because they insisted on using those damned installers, which wouldn’t run on Macs.  By going to zip files, they no longer have to have a separate product file.  So you won’t be suffering the use of extra bandwidth, in fact, the zip files will be smaller than the installers, so you’ll have less strain on your bandwidth!  grin

Now if they’d only get their butts in gear and actually start providing the zip files!  So far, all the new products are still being put into installers.

...thank you both for the explanation.  Makes sense that the installers needed to be different because of the difference in how the OS on each of the platforms works. All the more they need to get on the ball with moving to .zip files. I especially don’t understand why new content isn’t being released as .zip installs if they already have the structure in place.  They can always go back and convert the older content at a later time.

DanaTA - 03 August 2012 12:58 AM

And another thing, DAZ3D, if you’re going to provide the ReadMe files only online as PDFs, then be sure that they are actually published!  The newest freebie didn’t have one in the installer and when I checked the checkbox to view the readme, I got an error page!  I think most people would rather have it on their local drive, rather than use up bandwidth every time they want to view it.  But either way, at least be sure it’s actually available!

Dana

...I don’t see why they cannot provide a “text only” version with the .zip like Rendo and other vendors do.  I don’t need to load some splashy looking web page for that.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 06 August 2012 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 802 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5591
Joined  2006-02-20
Kyoto Kid - 05 August 2012 12:35 PM

...thank you both for the explanation.  Makes sense that the installers needed to be different because of the difference in how the OS on each of the platforms works. All the more they need to get on the ball with moving to .zip files. I especially don’t understand why new content isn’t being released as .zip installs if they already have the structure in place.  They can always go back and convert the older content at a later time.

Welllll, Mac users with a new OS and not able to run the old Mac installers may be quite a big user group ...
wink

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 06 August 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 803 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5241
Joined  2005-04-16

There is no reason why making all new content zip files would change the progress they’re making on older installer conversions.  They have to spend time creating the installer, and testing it I hope.  I think, from my past experience with InstallShield, that creating a zip file is actually less time consuming than creating an installer.  Since they have to spend time anyway, why not make the best use of the time.  The alternative is spending time on it twice.  Who among us likes to do things twice that could have been done right the first time and left at that?

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 06 August 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 804 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3391
Joined  2012-02-06

We’ve got thread bumping?! grin

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 06 August 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 805 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7538
Joined  2006-03-19

And avatar’s

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 06 August 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 806 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1589
Joined  2008-02-14

Will wonders ever cease? !

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 06 August 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 807 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  618
Joined  2008-07-16
Frank0314 - 06 August 2012 02:07 PM

And avatar’s

HOLY WALRUS POO! YOU ARE RIGHT!!!

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 06 August 2012 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 808 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2280
Joined  2003-12-06

Hmm…

I’ve had this one for a while, and I’ve got better kitty figures now. Maybe I’ll update…

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 06 August 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 809 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2295
Joined  2007-12-07

Testing, testing ...

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 06 August 2012 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 810 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  618
Joined  2008-07-16

Oh and by the way… to whomever fixed the avatars… Thank you!

EDITED TO ADD:

AND since I just noticed it- THANK YOU FOR FIXING THREAD BUMPING TOO!!!

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

54 of 91