Digital Art Zone

68 of 91
SITE UPDATES, ANNOUNCEMENTS, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE INFORMATION
Posted: 04 September 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1006 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2005-04-05
fixmypcmike - 04 September 2012 01:00 PM

From what I’ve been told, it allows for multiple content folders.  It’s optional, if you just want to install the zips manually.

Now this fills me with dread… makes it sound like there’s some kind of manager I’ll have to download, in order to download my Daz purchases…

First they start putting out consistant files that are over 100 meg to download, making it hard to impossible for people on slower dial up connections to get things downloaded (and don’t tell me dial up is dead, in rual america it is alive and well.).

Now this…

Posted: 04 September 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1007 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16736
Joined  2003-10-09

As Mike has said, it is going to be optional.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 04 September 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1008 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9291
Joined  2007-11-06

Yes, it is optional, for those who don’t like zip files.  It also has other features which might be of interest, such as checking for updates and only downloading files which have changed.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 04 September 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1009 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2007-02-16
fixmypcmike - 04 September 2012 04:17 PM

Yes, it is optional, for those who don’t like zip files.  It also has other features which might be of interest, such as checking for updates and only downloading files which have changed.

What about support to resume downloads even after a session has ended several hours earlier?  What if I’m trying to download, for example, an update to Studio, which currently between the 2 installers will take roughly 55 hours on my 2.5k/sec download speed. Can I resume that over the course of a couple weeks without it starting over on me and wasting my limited time each month?  We were told resume support would be available, however we were also told the threads wouldn’t break and give errors anymore (which they still do anytime a post is deleted or moved), among other things so it’s hard to know what to still believe right now :(

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1010 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2005-01-08

Your making this sound as if the only way to get the zip files is use the download manager…..............  I just want the zip files like you get from all the other sites….......................I would like to be able to grab 1 or 10+ zips and be able to just drop them into whatever directory I chose.

The question is, are we going to be able to download the zips like we do on the other sites?

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1011 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Yes, you can download zips without the Install Manager—if you have some of the older products (most Gen 2 and Gen 3 era products), reset some and you’ll get zips, download them just like you download installers for the new items.  You can recognize them by zip files starting with IM, followed by the product number and the product name.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1012 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I don’t know what kind of resume support the Install Manager has—I would hope that’s a feature, but I’m not one of the people who got to try it out.  It WILL allow you to just download files that have changed, so even if the Genesis Starter Essentials gets updated, you won’t have to download a 432GB file anymore.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1013 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2005-01-08
fixmypcmike - 04 September 2012 06:22 PM

Yes, you can download zips without the Install Manager—if you have some of the older products (most Gen 2 and Gen 3 era products), reset some and you’ll get zips, download them just like you download installers for the new items.  You can recognize them by zip files starting with IM, followed by the product number and the product name.

Thanks Mike…......Big sigh of re-leaf.

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1014 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

Thanks for the information… Perhaps you can ask around and see if the resume support will be available? It will play a large part of whether I renew my annual membership or not again. If I can’t download from the site there’s no point paying for a membership :( 

Downloading just the updated files will be helpful, but what happens when it comes to downloading updates for the Studio program itself, or single files that are still large enough for dialup users to cause problems? I have an 8hr session limit before I’m disconnected no matter what, so even if it were possible to stay on long enough for me to download, I wouldn’t be able to download things larger than 70mb or so. 

Also, do you know if it’s possible to just download a single file at a time instead of it just taking off and downloading whatever it finds updated? I would hate to find out that you can’t pick and choose what and when you download -_-

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1015 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

As I understand it, you can pick what you want to download.  I’ll ask about resuming downloads.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1016 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

Thank you, it’s much appreciated! I will await your reply!

Posted: 05 September 2012 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1017 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12085
Joined  2007-11-06
Taozen - 04 September 2012 12:38 PM
KrazyHorse2 - 04 September 2012 12:33 PM

I have searched the forums and can’t find an answer to this issue…..........  I was under the understanding that zip files would be made available for the PC and that all the older installers were be converted to zip.    Is this not going to happen?  I just wiped my drive and up graded to 4.5, now I have gigs of content to reinstall and the installers take to long.  Sorry if this has already been addressed I have had little time this summer to keep up with the forums….........

They are already working on converting the installers to zip, though they are still releasing new stuff using the .exe installers. Guess there is a technical explanation for this.

..is there any way we can find out which of the older products have already been converted?  I would be willing to reset DLs to get the /zip versions (hopefully none of them are “vaulted’) as this would make building custom runtimes on the new system so much easier.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 05 September 2012 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1018 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6423
Joined  2006-02-20

Does that mean installing it will be the only way to know which files have been updated?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1019 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15177
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 05 September 2012 12:30 AM

Does that mean installing it will be the only way to know which files have been updated?

With new products, there seem to be lists of updates on the readme page. And the file name gets incremented when there’s an update too. (Well, usually those happen.)

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1020 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6423
Joined  2006-02-20
Richard Haseltine - 05 September 2012 05:49 AM
Kerya - 05 September 2012 12:30 AM

With new products, there seem to be lists of updates on the readme page. And the file name gets incremented when there’s an update too. (Well, usually those happen.)

That is nice - but it means I have either to read all the online readmes from time to time or reset all of my orders from time to time ...
ohh
Oooooops!
Edited to add: sorry, but Dazstudio works fine on my machine, but CMS had a bit habit of hanging up ... I just don’t trust those little additional parts of software I have to install anymore.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

68 of 91