4 of 4
How do I model a white collar?
Posted: 17 November 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

Sheesh,,,

I fixed all of the problems, in about 10 minutes…in Blender.

Yeah, I tried to do it in Hex and it seemed like fixing one thing led to another, including a crash of Hex, that’s when I decided to try something else. 

I dumped it out as an obj and pulled it into Blender, hit ‘remove doubles’, selected ‘nonmanifold’, removed the cuffs and rebuilt them, fixed the hole (for some reason, probably outside the range, it didn’t weld when automatically done) and the normals. UV’d it and exported…then spent a couple of hours playing with it…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 November 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2005-09-05
RedSquare - 17 November 2012 03:53 AM

EDIT:    Doh!!!!!  I’m a twit, I’m a prat, I’m a wrinkly idiot; you’ve collapsed the DG.  I’m attempting to add tessellations to a smoothed mesh = wrong!  red face  red face  One silly nearly 73 year old man will now shut up and slink away with tail between legs. I should be put down mutter, mutter, dribble. Perhaps I’ll pop my clogs before they come to take me away.  LOL

Seriously;  make a new mesh.

Definitely not silly! There was a lot of useful information in your posts for anyone who wants to learn about doing this sort of stuff..

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 17 November 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2011-10-27

I’m not starting that all over again after spending two weeks or as good as on it so far.

I’ll persevere with this one for now as I’m sure the problems can be fixed.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS - CONSTRUCTIVE OR OTHERWISE because I like most you have to learn the curve.
I AM NOT OFFENDED IN ANY WAY!

There are many areas of Hexagon I do not understand - it will come - i’m spending a good 8 hours a day on this at the moment - sometimes more.

The problems arise because sometimes there is too much information on screen - that’s why I created domains so I could hide parts of the clothing to reduce the number of section on screen.

I’ve not UV mapped it yet as I have to get the shirt shape right before I start adding detail to it in the way of patterns…. Not sure what UV mapping actually does anyway when you can add materials to a shirt in the form of jpeg mats.

Terry

Posted: 17 November 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
tdrd - 17 November 2012 03:56 PM

I’ve not UV mapped it yet as I have to get the shirt shape right before I start adding detail to it in the way of patterns…. Not sure what UV mapping actually does anyway when you can add materials to a shirt in the form of jpeg mats.

Terry

UV mapping is what tells the program you are displaying the model in HOW to fit those texture maps to the model.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 17 November 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2008-01-01

Sometimes it is easier and faster to scrap a mesh and start over again, rather than trying to fix it - after all, all you loose is time and to a hobbyist, time is not money:)  In the process you learn a lot.

Even after all these years, I often make false starts and dump them when they aren’t working out as expected, or I find a better method.

Posted: 17 November 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

I suppose I could simply remove the collar section of the mesh and have another go from there…
I’m quickly going grey and even though I’m 52 and unemployed at the moment - I don’t have more than 8 hours a day I can spend on it as I’m learning Adobe Dreamweaver and job searching - it’s tiresome but I need jobs.
I’m spending as much free time as I have in order to enjoy this hobby and I hope to learn enough to be able to make a lot of additional clothing which there is a lack of out there.
It’s alright having clothing for fantasy situations etc but I’m trying to create a real scene here and there’s not a lot of material out there which suits my needs on a very tight budget.
So - yes i’ll strip off the collar and the cuffs and go back from there… i’ve saved versions of earlier stages….

Terry

Posted: 17 November 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2005-09-15

Go for it !  But don’t forget you need to tidy up a few of your poly’s on the shirt body as well.  smile

I’ve sent you another PM

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 17 November 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

@RedSquare - thank you - got it earlier
I’ll persevere with this one for now and have another go for a different shirt later…...
Thanks for the PM and tips.
Terry

4 of 4