2 of 4
How do I model a white collar?
Posted: 13 November 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2008-01-01

Roughly something like this?

Took a cylinder with 1 section, deleted the front vertical edge to make it open.

In symmetrical mode, pulled the wing tip bottom vert down and out and shaped the others to match.

Out of symmetrical mode - selected the top horizontal edge, extruded once inward and once down. 

Level 2 smoothing.

Flattened slightly front-to-back.

You would need to cut in sufficient vertical edges to match where it will attach to the neck in order to weld.

Hope this helps a bit?

Image Attachments
collar.jpg

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2202
Joined  2005-09-05
RedSquare - 13 November 2012 04:12 AM

To reduce the poly count, select a tessellation (an edge) then loop it, check that all of that tessellation has been captured; then hit the back space key to dissolve it and click on the remove vert’s option.  Then select the next bar one and repeat.  Alternatively,  select one edge of a poly every other tessellation press the L key to loop them all, inspect, tidy up and dissolve the lot plus verts.

You may be able to save time by selection and then use the 1 x n tool to select alternating tessellations then loop and dissolve, but how successful that is will depend on how many tessellations are on the main body.  Save the new version then repeat it all over again until after smoothing it still holds its shape and you are happier with the poly count.

EDIT:  Ha!  snap.  cheese    NB:  Be careful NOT to remove a key tessellation that is essential for you to (a) create your seams and (b) retains the main structural template otherwise you will loose the shaping.

I’m glad you posted RedSquare you explained it much better than I could.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 14 November 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2011-10-27

Thanks @Roygee: but I’m already committed to doing it as one piece for the shirt.

However you’ve got as far as I have, but it’s the movement of the whole collar to where I want it is becoming the problem.

I’ve tried assigning different shading domains to the shirt and collar to have them different colours but it does not work - the whole shirt takes on the last set shading domain.

I need the shirt to have a white collar anyways and the shirt itself to be blue so can anyone please give me a step by step guide on setting different shading domains up correctly on the shirt given that it is all one piece.  Someone said it was possible earlier in a discussion but I cannot apply it.

As you can see from the pic below - i’m in a mess!

Thanks

Image Attachments
SoFar.jpg

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Shading Domains - got it!
Now I can hide the shirt body and still make a mess of the collar - more fun!

Thanks

Posted: 15 November 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Problems with shirt…
OK after two days I thought I was close but as you will see from the pictures below I have still got problems.
First look at the shirt collar in the Hexagon Picture - it looks fine no problems there…
Now look at the second picture when it is imported into Daz Studio…
The collar has gone all wrinkled and awful - why is this and how can I rectify it?
I attach another couple of poses and although I feel closer I still feel I need help.
Can anyone please advise or help in any way.
Thank you.

Image Attachments
HexShirt.jpgshirt1.jpgshirt2.jpgshirt3.jpg

Posted: 15 November 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2008-01-01

Flipped normals - which is why I suggested my method.  You probably extruded up, then down?  If so the collar is turned inside-out.

To fix, take it into Hex and with the shirt selected - it is all one mesh, right? - select Utilities->Orient normals.  In the properties panel, select the big A, which should show you a whole bunch of red arrows - select unify normals - this should give you a single yellow arrow - if the arrow is pointing inwards, select the big A again.  This should make the yellow arrow point outwards.

By the way, the bottom edge of the collar is penetrating the shirt - you’ll want to lift that out.

Otherwise, good job:)

Posted: 15 November 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

You can also flip the normals by tapping the space bar once the red arrows are displayed.

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 15 November 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

@Roygee: and @RedSquare: Thanks for the feedback.

Flipped Normals! Of course inside out all over again….
So easy to forget…

I did the above @Roygee: and believe me the red arrows are overtaking me - there’s so many of them I cannot control them!

Okay - The reason I did not model the collar seperately is that I had an attempt and every time I tried to weld the surfaces together the program either crashed or the objects could not be selected together to make the edge weld.  Following on the Peter Pan tutorial I decided to try that…

... still learning all the time - and getting greyer too!

Thank you again for the reminder…

Terry

UPDATE: UPDATE:
I flipped the normals and the colours are okay now but for some reason as you can see below the collar goes all ragged once posed other than normal.
Any tips there?

Image Attachments
cc.jpg

Posted: 16 November 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Stray/duplicate vertex or poly, not completely welded/two adjoining faces not actually sharing the common edge, not grouped properly, bones or weights not correct…any or any combination of those are the typical causes of that kind of distortion/breaking up.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 16 November 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

I cannot see how there can be any of stray, duplicated or vertices sharing the same edge because it was made by extruding from the neck and upwards…
It’s all been one piece from the start so there is no welding or bits removed at all.
See comment #20 to see what it looks like in Hexagon.
It looks smooth enough but it’s not moving smoothly in a lot of poses.
There are no missing surfaces and I’ve checked that there are no missing links so what else can be the matter.
I can put the file on my website available for anyone else to take a look at it if they would - it’s going to be free to share eventually anyway if I get it finished.
All feedback appreiciated.
Terry

Posted: 16 November 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  0

What does the mesh for the collar look like in Hexagon if you turn off smoothing?

Sometimes a smoothed mesh can look fine, while the underlying unsmoothed mesh is all kinds of ugly. I like to add geometry to an unsmoothed mesh until its basic shape holds up after being smoothed.

Perhaps adding some extra geometry at the fold of the collar, rather than depending on the smoothing to do it, would help.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 16 November 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Without any smoothing the collar looks fine.
I did as you suggested and added more tessalations and geometry but the collar still went all ragged.

Am I allowed to post an address of where the file can be found on my website temporarily?

Terry

Posted: 16 November 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
tdrd - 16 November 2012 09:35 AM

I cannot see how there can be any of stray, duplicated or vertices sharing the same edge because it was made by extruding from the neck and upwards…
It’s all been one piece from the start so there is no welding or bits removed at all.
There are no missing surfaces and I’ve checked that there are no missing links so what else can be the matter.
I can put the file on my website available for anyone else to take a look at it if they would - it’s going to be free to share eventually anyway if I get it finished.
Terry

One of the things I’ve done, more often than I care to recall, is ‘double extrude’...where you accidentally extrude twice but only move one of them…so you end up with ‘double’ vertices.  And it will definitely cause all sorts of problems later, when it comes to rigging.  Simply welding/removing doubles (what ever procedure your modelling app uses) will eliminate that…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 16 November 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

No - NO double extrusion took place…

I have checked in another topic and I think I can put the file up as long as I am not selling anything.

So here goes… I’ve zipped it up and stored it on my webspace.

http://www.tdrd.karoo.net/test/

I am NOT asking for people to do this for me - NOT AT ALL - but if anyone can take a look and actually tell me whats wrong I would greatly appreciate it - Thanks

Posted: 16 November 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2202
Joined  2005-09-05
tdrd - 16 November 2012 09:35 AM

Terry

Have you applied a smoothing modifier in ds?  That may fix it…it’s worth playing with the settings in parameters also.

All the other things I can think of have already been suggested.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

2 of 4