2 of 10
The Historical Closet Thread
Posted: 06 June 2012 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2200
Joined  2005-09-05
Baglet - 06 June 2012 06:16 AM

I knew those cuban shoes would come in handy - just never figured what for!

Also fell victim to crashes, probably because I’m trying to get too many figures and buildings into Vue. I’m trying to set up the Nouschka Manor Courtyard as a Tivoli style Renaissance garden with Villa and Fortress in the background.

The problem with the Priddy fabric is that it is on the wall and hard to access. I also went there in a rainstorm so the church was too dark. It’s very fragile and looks like fragments pieced together. Below is the best that I managed.

Rather annoyed that the Genesis Body Suit only seems to be available with that Supersuit thing. I had a look at the ‘how to use the supersuit’ videos but the morphs seem all hard edged and not often in useful places.

That’s a pity about the fabric…

I have bought the supersuit but I haven’t played with it yet. Some of the morphs that I saw on the later videos seemed okay but only playing with it in DS will really prove how useful it will be. I’ve just finished reports and this weekend is a three day weekend so hopefully I will get chance to play with it.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-04-10

I haven’t bought the supersuit either.  In principle it sounded like a good idea, but I already have the Genesis bodysuit and I don’t really see what the supersuit would give me in addition, as I’m not into rendering superheroes… aside from the shaders, of course.  There seemed to be some really nice ones in with the various sets… but I’m so spoiled with the Fabricator sets as it is, that I probably don’t need any more grin

Baglet, I was going to make a very bad pun about that third piece of fabric and say “It’s so Priddy!” but then I realised that this is a serious thread and I should control myself.  cheese  So I shall simply have a bit of a play with it later on.  This might turn out to be a rather stylish fabric for the boys… Have you tried the tiling for it yet?  Does it work fairly well?

Good luck on your Tivoli garden, by the way.  Impressive stuff!  You’ll be needing a few of Predatron’s Cypresses, I would imagine?

Leander

Posted: 06 June 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2009-04-10

Okey-doke, I finally got the darn shoes to render.  As I said before, these are the Cuban Diablo shoes from the Genesis Classics bundle here in the DAZ shop.  It’s a bit of a dull image, so I apologise, but my computer has been scarily prone to crashing recently and I didn’t want to over-tax it.  Besides, it’s not meant to be art, I’m just making a point about the product smile

Also, Pendraia, I just did a little post about the rapiers exhibition at the Wallace Collection on my blog.  There are some images there of some of the swords, plus Christian II’s outfit, if you wanted to take a look:

http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/noble-art-of-sword-fashion-and-fencing.html

Right, off to bed now…

Leander

Image Attachments
Shoes.png

Posted: 06 June 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Leander2010 - 06 June 2012 03:17 PM

Okey-doke, I finally got the darn shoes to render.  As I said before, these are the Cuban Diablo shoes from the Genesis Classics bundle here in the DAZ shop.  It’s a bit of a dull image, so I apologise, but my computer has been scarily prone to crashing recently and I didn’t want to over-tax it.  Besides, it’s not meant to be art, I’m just making a point about the product smile

Also, Pendraia, I just did a little post about the rapiers exhibition at the Wallace Collection on my blog.  There are some images there of some of the swords, plus Christian II’s outfit, if you wanted to take a look:

http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/noble-art-of-sword-fashion-and-fencing.html

Right, off to bed now…

Leander

Hi Leander, I like your blog…I love the swords and the outfit. Is the outfit quilted? It’s hard to tell from the image? The shoes look great also…I didn’t think of using them like that…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2009-04-10
Pendraia - 06 June 2012 11:06 PM

Is the outfit quilted? It’s hard to tell from the image? The shoes look great also…I didn’t think of using them like that…

Thank you!

I don’t think the outfit is quilted as such, although there was certainly a lot of padding.  What was incredible was how big it is - the guy must have been over six foot tall with the figure of Henry VIII!

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Leander2010 - 07 June 2012 12:02 AM
Pendraia - 06 June 2012 11:06 PM

Is the outfit quilted? It’s hard to tell from the image? The shoes look great also…I didn’t think of using them like that…

Thank you!

I don’t think the outfit is quilted as such, although there was certainly a lot of padding.  What was incredible was how big it is - the guy must have been over six foot tall with the figure of Henry VIII!

lol…yeah, it would make him look quite pudgy.

I’ve been playing with the supersuit. I still haven’t got a good handle on it but it gives lots of options for sleeves. Render is very rough just to show possibilities…

Image Attachments
supersuit_test_loosened_underarms.jpg
 Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 07 June 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09
Leander2010 - 06 June 2012 06:37 AM

Baglet, I was going to make a very bad pun about that third piece of fabric and say “It’s so Priddy!” but then I realised that this is a serious thread and I should control myself.  cheese 

Good luck on your Tivoli garden, by the way.  Impressive stuff!  You’ll be needing a few of Predatron’s Cypresses, I would imagine?

Leander

Well Priddy is very priddy! Even in the rain.  I managed to get some good drystone wall and moss textures there.

I’m thinking of making the Vue render into a backdrop and rendering the foreground in DS as the light setup wasn’t working and it had gone too slow. I’ve some Vue cypresses and laurels - each plant comes out differently as they are made mathematically.

Very interesting information from the Wallace collection. Have to see if I can get there - if the rain ever stops….

Meanwhile an inlay tile from a late 16th century pistol in the V and A. I have mirrored it as that seems to be how it is on the gun. Taken in low light.

Image Attachments
VApistolinlay2dup.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 07 June 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Pendraia - 07 June 2012 12:27 AM

I’ve been playing with the supersuit. I still haven’t got a good handle on it but it gives lots of options for sleeves. Render is very rough just to show possibilities…

Looks like it might be worth getting after all. The videos made the morphs look hard-edged, probably because they were made for the superhero crowd.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 07 June 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-04-10
Baglet - 07 June 2012 06:50 AM

Have to see if I can get there - if the rain ever stops….

Yes, just decided to go up during my lunch break to buy the catalogue.  Now my feet are very wet… But the book is mine!  This has enabled me to see that the legs of the costume mentioned above are indeed quilted, although the doublet appears not to be.

Lovely tile, by the way.  Now, what could we use that for, aside from weapon inlays… the lid of a trinket box, perhaps?  Inlay around the edge of a Turkish chair or table?  Thank you for more lovely goodies!

Pendraia, I’m looking forward to seeing what other sleeve options there are on the Supersuit.  Do the sleeves get any baggier or is that about it?

Have a good day, guys!

Leander

Posted: 07 June 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1096
Joined  2010-01-23

Hope you don’t mind me butting in to the thread - I got the Supersuit and was playing around with it yesterday to see if I could get any sort of “historical” effect.  Here’s what I got - don’t think it gets many marks for authenticity, but came out quite prettily I think.  The suit certainly takes the Fabricator textures quite nicely.

First is the top only - this is all Supersuit - what the angle hides is the odd underarm area, which I couldn’t find a way to get right.

Second is the whole thing, with the skirt from Jan19’s freebie Dress Up Chest - it “almost” looks like it hangs together properly.

PS. Thanks for the lovely fabric tiles, Baglet - really lovely.  I’ve been interested in historic costume and fabrics for a long time, but my enthusiasm is much greater than my knowledge!

Image Attachments
Historical_Supersuit_-_Radiance_Trimmed.jpg
Historical_Supersuit_and_Dress-Up_Chest.jpg

Posted: 07 June 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-04-10

Welcome Melanie! 

And thank you for those lovely images showing the capabilities of the suit.  It’s encouraging to see that it can make a good-looking bodice - and you’ve kit-bashed the bodice and skirt very effectively.  Wonderful stuff!

Leander

Posted: 07 June 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2009-04-10

And here is the result of my playing around with the Priddy fabric.  GIMP very easily turned it into a seamless tile, so I settled down and had a go at making a doublet out of it.

One for the boys… 

Now I’ve just got to think of something to do with Baglet’s inlaid tile and then I’ve got them all covered LOL

Leander

Image Attachments
Doublet.png

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2009-04-10

And because I can’t leave well alone… (I promise this is my last post for the day - it’s past my bedtime smile)  I just couldn’t resist a very quick play with Baglet’s final present to us.

A render just for fun, to try out the inlay.  Unfortunately the wobbly part of the hand guard is the same mat zone as the cross-piece, so I had no choice but to put it on both, not having enough time to create a new mat zone.  I am fully aware that it would probably be hideously difficult to inlay that part.  grin

Leander

Image Attachments
Hilt.png

Posted: 08 June 2012 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Leander2010 - 07 June 2012 07:34 AM
Baglet - 07 June 2012 06:50 AM

Have to see if I can get there - if the rain ever stops….

Yes, just decided to go up during my lunch break to buy the catalogue.  Now my feet are very wet… But the book is mine!  This has enabled me to see that the legs of the costume mentioned above are indeed quilted, although the doublet appears not to be.

Lovely tile, by the way.  Now, what could we use that for, aside from weapon inlays… the lid of a trinket box, perhaps?  Inlay around the edge of a Turkish chair or table?  Thank you for more lovely goodies!

Pendraia, I’m looking forward to seeing what other sleeve options there are on the Supersuit.  Do the sleeves get any baggier or is that about it?

Have a good day, guys!

Leander

They do get bigger but too much bigger and then they’re hard to bend the arms…there may be a trick to doing that which I haven’t found yet.

On the arms you have 4-5 arm shapes to play with and then you have shoulders, elbows and forearms that you can make bigger and smaller it handles morphs differently to other clothing as you can shrink it down so it is inside the arm,leg etc.

There is also an underarm adjustment…so much to look at with it I don’t know where to start first.

I like the doublet and sword…

Also great use of the supersuit as a bodice…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 08 June 2012 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Welcome from me too Melanie. That supersuit looks worth getting. I think they missed a trick going overboard with the comic strip stuff.

Still trying to get my head round two emails from DAZ. One said I had unsubscribed to newsletters (while logged out and asleep) but the other gave me 9 months PC for free. Bug reports submitted.

Another day, another tile. This is more altar fabric but a different style. That’s amazing getting a tile out of the Priddy photo. I’ve used the GIMP but not often as I only have it on the Linux box in my work office. Note to self - install it on PC.

Image Attachments
redbrocade.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

2 of 10