1 of 10
The Historical Closet Thread
Posted: 01 June 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2005-09-05

The old thread can be found here

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=159885&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The Wiki can be found here

http://3dhistoricalcloset.wikia.com/wiki/3D_Historical_Closet_Wiki

There has been some good stuff recently released and I will try and add the links when I’m more awake.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 02 June 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

To celebrate the re-opening of the thread:

A little seamless cloth tile. Not real Jacobean embroidery of course. It’s from a church altar in Gloucestershire.

Forgot to say - free for anybody to use.

Image Attachments
Ampney1.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 02 June 2012 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-04-10

My first post in the new forums! smile

And it’s to say that I’m so pleased to see this thread has a new incarnation - and thank you Baglet for such a beautiful tile.

By the way, guys, I went to see the “Noble Art of the Sword” exhibition at the Wallace Collection today and it’s small but absolutely wonderful, with some fabulous examples of rapier decoration - plus the parade costume of Christian II of Saxony in blue silk with silver thread.  If you’re free in London at any point, it’s definitely worth a visit - and all free!

Leander

Posted: 02 June 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

Thanks for the tile Baglet…it’s beautiful. I love that style of fabric.

Leander2010 - 02 June 2012 03:10 PM

My first post in the new forums! smile

And it’s to say that I’m so pleased to see this thread has a new incarnation - and thank you Baglet for such a beautiful tile.

By the way, guys, I went to see the “Noble Art of the Sword” exhibition at the Wallace Collection today and it’s small but absolutely wonderful, with some fabulous examples of rapier decoration - plus the parade costume of Christian II of Saxony in blue silk with silver thread.  If you’re free in London at any point, it’s definitely worth a visit - and all free!

Leander

Leander, you make me quite envious I really wish I could have a trip to London to visit all the exhibitions. You are so lucky…did they allow photos? A lot of exhibitions now won’t let you use a camera. The King Tut one I went to a while back didn’t…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 04 June 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-04-10
Pendraia - 02 June 2012 03:29 PM

...did they allow photos? A lot of exhibitions now won’t let you use a camera. The King Tut one I went to a while back didn’t…

Hi Pendraia - I think they would have allowed photos, definitely, but I didn’t take a camera because I intended to buy the catalogue (and then it turned out to be £30 so I’ve had to come away and think about how much I really want it smile).  You can get the catalogue on Amazon too, if you can’t make it to London, although it seems to be £40 on there.  angry

Here’s a render with Baglet’s lovely tile.  If you greyscale and invert the colours and use it for a displacement map, you get the most fantastic effects.  It really does look like hand-embroidered silk.  Lovely… More tiles like this would be wonderful!

Leander

Image Attachments
bodiceB.png

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

That’s fantastic Leander. It really does work! Supply is limited by the number of churches using this sort of fabric in a way that I can grab a photo. I’m mostly takings pictures of architecture and stonework but sometimes find a good fabric. Altars are usually best unless somebody has gone a bit mad with the ironing and made too many creases. Here’s another tile but not quite as good.

I’ve just made a couple of Early Renaissance stuffed headdresses - a Balzo and a Grillanda. Hope to get them posted over the next day or two. They are simple props so will work in anything and scale to different figures.

Image Attachments
edgeworth.jpg
balzogrillanda.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 04 June 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-04-10

Yay!  More goodies!  I will have to experiment with that one in a minute - just finishing another render with your first one.  How beautiful… You obviously have better altar-cloths in your part of the world.  I grew up in Somerset and we didn’t have any as pretty as that.

Very much looking forward to the headdresses as well.  They look lovely!

Grrr.  Have just realised the people on the next road are having a street party (brave, considering it’s been raining most of the day) - which explains the totally OTT bunting on the end house.  Now I feel really anti-social, as my road is looking distinctly un-festive.  (But I did hold a Jubilee tea party yesterday to watch the pageant on the TV LOL - did anyone risk the wash-out?)

Leander

Posted: 04 June 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve just had a friend on the phone complaining about their local street party. The pub organised it with neighbours each bringing a cake or something. Then all these people who hadn’t contributed anything turned up and scoffed the lot. Not much goodwill left after that.

I’ve discovered something that may be useful on the V and A site. You can take copies of their low res images (max 768 pixels) without needing permission as long as the subject matter is out of copyright. No distribution allowed but I think individual use should come within their terms.  High res images are heavily protected. There are some good lower res images of textiles.

I should be able to get MD soon. Just waiting to see when they are moving up to version 3 as I don’t want to have to buy it twice. No news on quad mesh so it must be proving difficult but I think there are ways round that. I’ll also have to learn weight-mapping.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 04 June 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

Baglet, thanks for the tiles…I’m looking forward to the props. I think I have downloaded some stuff from V&A when we first started this thread in the old forum but thanks for reminding me.

Leander, love what you’ve done.

Gotta go to work.

Pen

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 05 June 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-04-10

And here is the lovely Claudia modelling the other must-have Jacobean fabric this season grin

Continuing my plug for random vaguely fashion-related exhibitions: went to Hampton Court today to see The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned.  Lots of gorgeous Lely pictures of Charles II’s various mistresses in shimmering silk dresses and crumpled chemises.  Now I’m just trying to figure out if there’s any way of kit-bashing to get a similar effect…

Baglet, thank you for another lovely tile.  I played around with the shape of the bodice this time and added the bows - I think it looks a bit more appropriate for the period grin

Leander

Image Attachments
Bodiceagain_SM.png

Posted: 05 June 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Leander2010 - 05 June 2012 11:48 AM

And here is the lovely Claudia modelling the other must-have Jacobean fabric this season grin

Continuing my plug for random vaguely fashion-related exhibitions: went to Hampton Court today to see The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned.  Lots of gorgeous Lely pictures of Charles II’s various mistresses in shimmering silk dresses and crumpled chemises.  Now I’m just trying to figure out if there’s any way of kit-bashing to get a similar effect…

Baglet, thank you for another lovely tile.  I played around with the shape of the bodice this time and added the bows - I think it looks a bit more appropriate for the period grin

Leander

Gorgeous outfit and render…what bits did you use?

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 06 June 2012 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

So beautiful (again!). I’ll look through the photo archive to see what else I can track down. Somerset (so far) hasn’t had much in the way of good fabrics. There is a large piece of 15th century fabric at Priddy church on the Mendips but it’s under glass.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 06 June 2012 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Baglet - 06 June 2012 01:54 AM

So beautiful (again!). I’ll look through the photo archive to see what else I can track down. Somerset (so far) hasn’t had much in the way of good fabrics. There is a large piece of 15th century fabric at Priddy church on the Mendips but it’s under glass.

That makes it hard to take a good picture. If it’s a church would they be open to a request to take a photo of the fabric?

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-04-10
Pendraia - 05 June 2012 02:42 PM

Thanks Pendraia!  The bodice is from the V4 Constance set over at Runtime DNA, with the “Bell Skirt” morph pushed up to about 1.75.  The skirt is the V4 My Princess skirt here at DAZ, with my custom mat zones creating the front panel and the trim.  The bows are from the V4 Sensibility Expansion set also here at DAZ - I think they’re meant to go on the back of the apron.  And the hair is Evelyn Hair from Runtime DNA. 

The reason I didn’t answer earlier was because I was trying to be clever - I wanted to show you a render of the Genesis Cuban shoes from the Genesis Classics bundle, which I’ve done some mat zones for and which work really well with costumes of this period.  It was all going very well, last night, until my computer crashed at 85% render completion, at which point I’m afraid I swore and just went to bed.  But I might have another go tonight - if only to give another example of how existing items can be made to look historical even if they’re not designed that way.  grin

Leander

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I knew those cuban shoes would come in handy - just never figured what for!

Also fell victim to crashes, probably because I’m trying to get too many figures and buildings into Vue. I’m trying to set up the Nouschka Manor Courtyard as a Tivoli style Renaissance garden with Villa and Fortress in the background.

The problem with the Priddy fabric is that it is on the wall and hard to access. I also went there in a rainstorm so the church was too dark. It’s very fragile and looks like fragments pieced together. Below is the best that I managed.

Rather annoyed that the Genesis Body Suit only seems to be available with that Supersuit thing. I had a look at the ‘how to use the supersuit’ videos but the morphs seem all hard edged and not often in useful places.

Image Attachments
priddycloth.jpg
 Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Leander2010 - 06 June 2012 04:23 AM
Pendraia - 05 June 2012 02:42 PM

Thanks Pendraia!  The bodice is from the V4 Constance set over at Runtime DNA, with the “Bell Skirt” morph pushed up to about 1.75.  The skirt is the V4 My Princess skirt here at DAZ, with my custom mat zones creating the front panel and the trim.  The bows are from the V4 Sensibility Expansion set also here at DAZ - I think they’re meant to go on the back of the apron.  And the hair is Evelyn Hair from Runtime DNA. 

The reason I didn’t answer earlier was because I was trying to be clever - I wanted to show you a render of the Genesis Cuban shoes from the Genesis Classics bundle, which I’ve done some mat zones for and which work really well with costumes of this period.  It was all going very well, last night, until my computer crashed at 85% render completion, at which point I’m afraid I swore and just went to bed.  But I might have another go tonight - if only to give another example of how existing items can be made to look historical even if they’re not designed that way.  grin

Leander

Thanks for the info…I have the skirt and the bows. I haven’t seen the bodice before. I’ll have to check it out. I haven’t been buying much V4 stuff but with autofit transferring morphs now, I will probably rethink that.

Sorry to hear about your computer woes…so frustrating when that happens.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

1 of 10