2 of 2
Save a morph once it has been imported back into DAZ
Posted: 08 April 2014 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2008-01-01

Thanks for the link, Pendraia smile

This is not for redistribution, but personal use - so don’t want to be jumping through all sorts of hoops.  I’ve downloaded the documentation for fuller study.

In the old DS 3.5, and i’m sure, the earlier versions of 4, we had a nice trick.  Daz figures are “protected” in Carrara, so you can’t make morphs outside the channels which are already assigned.  The parts of the face which give a figure character - nose, cheeks, eyes, have no channels which can be morphed in Carrara out the box.

So what we learned to do was to use the Hex bridge to make a tiny morph - simply move an inconspicuous vert a very small bit, then save that as a full body morph.  In Carrara we could then access the full body and morph whatever we needed to and still retain all the built-in morphs.

From what I’ve read recently, it seems that we must now make a new cr2 for every character change - I’ll have to check whether the default morphs survive this new character creation.

This method was also handy for fixing poke-through in clothing, Carrara not having a decent autofit and smoothing - V4’s boobs seem to be bigger in Carrara than in Studio!

Seems to me that DS4.6 is like Vegas - whatever happens there, stays there smile

Posted: 08 April 2014 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2005-09-05
Roygee - 08 April 2014 01:33 PM

Thanks for the link, Pendraia smile

This is not for redistribution, but personal use - so don’t want to be jumping through all sorts of hoops.  I’ve downloaded the documentation for fuller study.

In the old DS 3.5, and i’m sure, the earlier versions of 4, we had a nice trick.  Daz figures are “protected” in Carrara, so you can’t make morphs outside the channels which are already assigned.  The parts of the face which give a figure character - nose, cheeks, eyes, have no channels which can be morphed in Carrara out the box.

So what we learned to do was to use the Hex bridge to make a tiny morph - simply move an inconspicuous vert a very small bit, then save that as a full body morph.  In Carrara we could then access the full body and morph whatever we needed to and still retain all the built-in morphs.

From what I’ve read recently, it seems that we must now make a new cr2 for every character change - I’ll have to check whether the default morphs survive this new character creation.

This method was also handy for fixing poke-through in clothing, Carrara not having a decent autofit and smoothing - V4’s boobs seem to be bigger in Carrara than in Studio!

Seems to me that DS4.6 is like Vegas - whatever happens there, stays there smile

happy I could help…I don’t know much about carrara as I’ve never used it. I think it’s more that they don’t expect anyone using DS to be using the legacy figures much so it’s set up more for exporting Genesis type figures.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 08 April 2014 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Yes, obviously Daz would want us all to get - and spend lots of money on the latest.  But there are thousands of products, which Daz also sells, which are not Genesis related - animals, buildings, cars, you name it which are cr2.  Not to mention our own home-made stuff.

From what i understand, folk can’t even save morphs of cr2’s for use in Studio, never mind opening a channel for them in Carrara.

If we are expected to make a new cr2 for every change, may as well use MakeHuman - it is so much simpler to make a custom figure smile

Posted: 08 April 2014 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2005-09-05
Roygee - 08 April 2014 10:24 PM

Yes, obviously Daz would want us all to get - and spend lots of money on the latest.  But there are thousands of products, which Daz also sells, which are not Genesis related - animals, buildings, cars, you name it which are cr2.  Not to mention our own home-made stuff.

From what i understand, folk can’t even save morphs of cr2’s for use in Studio, never mind opening a channel for them in Carrara.

If we are expected to make a new cr2 for every change, may as well use MakeHuman - it is so much simpler to make a custom figure smile

For non weight mapped figures people have two choices. They either export it as a cr2 or they need to use the ExP system.

For props, I’m not sure that you would need to do a cr2. I know I save clothes in duf format with morphs…I would think that should work with most props also. I can’t check as I’m export my user data at the moment. More props are being sold in duf format also.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 09 April 2014 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Yes, there will be a legacy of cr2’s around for many years to come - Daz is seriously limiting usage by breaking the morphing of cr2’s.  I’ll take a good look at the Exp system, see if that will serve my needs.

Did some experiments with a simple model and found that exporting as a new cr2 will only retain one morph, whereas converting to TriAx and saving as duf, I could stack the morphs.

Anyway, this will work for the conversion of a model that I’m helping someone with - he won’t need morphs, just needs to morph it then save a new cr2.

The good news is that I can still use the trick of making a full body morph channel and morphing in Carrara.  I suppose at some stage I’ll be forced into getting the latest Carrara, which does read duf. smile

2 of 2