Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Please can someone explain what benefits Carrara has over Hexagon/Bryce/Ds
Posted: 12 November 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  615
Joined  2007-08-14
dustrider - 09 November 2012 01:58 PM

That being said, there are tools in Carrara that aren’t found in the other three. For instance, Carrara has dynamic hair and DS doesn’t

That may be changing, there are two hair systems in the works for DS: Garibaldi and LAMH

Neither of these will feature hair dynamics in the initial release AFAIK.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 12 November 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Yeah, I saw Garibaldi the other day…

Carrara’s hair is great when it’s non-dynamic. I’m surprised people don’t do more with it.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 12 November 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6361
Joined  2007-12-04

I hear that! I’ve made the perfect hair for my heroine - but the wave and friz shaders (I think they’re to blame since it works great without) make the dynamic animations highly jittery. Best looking hair I’ve ever had on her, though. Bummer for the jitters.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 12 November 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6361
Joined  2007-12-04

Another thing to consider, however, is this: What do you really want to do?
As much a I Love Carrara for all of my rendering needs, the ability to get Daz Studio Pro for free is really something.
Even without the purchase of additional plugins, DS is an outstanding piece of software! I don’t really use it - except rarely for its bridge to Hexagon - and sometimes to use aniMate 2 to make my own aniBlocks and such. This latest version of DS has an impressive array of capabilities and, like most software offerings of this type, takes a quite a bit of getting used to in order to bring out your full potential for what you want it to do. Even though I rarely use it - that is exactly the software I would be using if I didn’t already purchase Carrara Pro.

Just another thing to consider, is all smile

Good luck on all of your endeavors, Mate!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 12 November 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2003-10-09

There are probably a lot of things I could try to do when I find the time.  I know most people here and the other sites use V4 and other common figures, but I never really got into buying content.  It’s expensive, generally usage restricted, and most of it just doesn’t fit with the other stuff I make.  I felt like Daz was appealing to Poser users with that particular release, and interpreted “content” to mean any item in my Poser runtime.  I know people have had success moving Daz figures between the three applications, I didn’t expect to have so many problems (and no luck fixing them) and probably just washed my hands of it too quickly.

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

I had issues early on with V4 and so I abandoned her, not Carrara. Something with how she was designed to dynamically update her morphs (was also a Mac issue), it just never worked out for me…. I found some older figures were simpler and lighter on polygons.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 13 November 2012 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI

The usage for Daz and Poser models is roughly the same,.(with a few exceptions) you’re free to make and sell any rendered images, whether that’s still or animated.

Plus,.. Joining the Platinum club gives you free weekly content and hundreds of items at $1.99 .. with big discount on other (non P.C.) items.

for many, the advantage in using a pre-made model is self explanatory, ...it’s a big time saver.

I know there are some issues with Generation 4 figures and the “powerloader” injections / initialisation routine of morph packs which can throw Carrara into a confused heap,. but ,.. if you open DS and load the main figure like V4 . M4 etc,.. and use those Power-loaders to inject all the morph packs,. It set’s up all the morphs and injections,. and after that the main figures should work fine in Carrara.

It sound’s like you’re making your own figures from scratch in a modelling program, then Rigging them in Poser, and loading them into carrara, ......and that’s when it all goes wrong,..

It’s important to remember that although Carrara supports using Poser and Daz3D content,  ..that the different owners of Poser, have made changes in different versions, which, in turn, makes it difficult for Carrara, to support ALL poser version figures, ....and still remain Carrara.

quite often you can get around the limitations by importing an older poser figure as a Poser scene file, then saving the figure to Carrara’s browser

Right now,.. P9 and PP2012 have a different weight mapping system to previous poser versions, and any figure built in there, may not work well in anything other than Poser, depending on how you weight map it.
the same applies to Genesis and DS 4.5. where genesis has a different weight mapping, and rigging to previous Daz3D figures.

Not all applications are the same,. and technology advances, so it can become tricky to support ALL possible variations.

But if you want to create and animate your own models, then you can do that in carrara, ..and rigging is easier than in poser (IMO)

smile

2 of 2