Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Move vertices along edges?
Posted: 10 November 2012 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2005-09-15

@ Gedd.

Ah!  Morphs etc clothing etc.  Not my scene so never used.  However I do use the technique when necessary though rarely. 

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 10 November 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16
Pendraia - 09 November 2012 06:09 PM

... but if cleaning up the mesh when it’s distorted is the aim….I’ve used the soften tool under uv and paint to get good results when tidying up an autofitted mesh. You have to be careful with it but applying it sparingly and stroking up and down the edges seems to straighten them up.

Sorry Pen, I misread this for some reason. I was thinking of the D-Former. Yes the soften tool is used at the same time as moving verts around, just for a different purpose. Soften is a great tool for cleaning up distortions.

I’m still learning also, it’s nice to be in a community where we can share ideas and techniques smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 10 November 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2005-08-20

Select the edge, duplicate it, subdivide it a dozen times.
Now go back to your original mesh, select the vertex and move it around while holding SHIFT.

http://youtu.be/zvd6CBkZIBs

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 10 November 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2005-09-05
Gedd - 09 November 2012 11:12 PM

The reason for moving a vert is not about morphing a mesh or moving a lone point. Moving a vert moves the angle of the line of a poly specifically along a given edge. This allows for instance if the mesh *bends* in that area it will bend depending on the angle of said line/layout of polys. This is a big part of what people are referring to when they are commenting on the topology, not the number of polys so much but the direction of lines so that if/when the mesh twists, bends, etc.. during animation or movement it does so cleanly. Hopefully this clears some of this up. Having said that, Roygee gave the best/simplest answer from what I can see. Adding a new line and dissolving the unneeded would do exactly what one wants without a lot of extra steps. A little more then just sliding the vert but not enough to be a bother smile

Thanks for the great explanation! : )

Gedd - 10 November 2012 07:59 AM
Pendraia - 09 November 2012 06:09 PM

... but if cleaning up the mesh when it’s distorted is the aim….I’ve used the soften tool under uv and paint to get good results when tidying up an autofitted mesh. You have to be careful with it but applying it sparingly and stroking up and down the edges seems to straighten them up.

Sorry Pen, I misread this for some reason. I was thinking of the D-Former. Yes the soften tool is used at the same time as moving verts around, just for a different purpose. Soften is a great tool for cleaning up distortions.

I’m still learning also, it’s nice to be in a community where we can share ideas and techniques smile

Yes it is great to have such a fantastic community that is willing to share…no need to apologise. It’s easy to misread at times…; )

A lot of what I’ve learnt has been through trial and error so I like to read these threads and learn more about the logic/theory behind the practice and what works best.

Cheers

Pen

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

2 of 2