Digital Art Zone

Using Daz artwork for book covers?
Posted: 08 November 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  0

I believe one or two posters on these very forums have done this. What should I know? I’m participating in NaNoWriMo and am seriously considering trying to finish the book I’ve started and make it into an e-book. I did a render of the main character and think I could tweak it and turn it into a nice e-book cover but what are the potential issues I should be aware of? Is most purchased content (Daz, Rendorisity, Runtime-DNA) legal to use in this way?

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum

Posted: 08 November 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

Yes perfectly legal to use based on what you said.

Only thing to avoid is freebies that say NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 08 November 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  387
Joined  2012-09-27

From what I understand, renders created with D/S become property of the creator.  I also believe that purchased items are allowed to be used in commercial products, though you’d have to check each product’s readme file to be sure.  The thorny issue is with free items and textures, which usually have the condition of not being sold.

Posted: 08 November 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2003-12-02

All purchased content from DAZ, RDNA, Renderosity and Content Paradise is OK for commercial renders. Redistributing the mesh or textures is never OK (unless you have something like a game developer license for that content). Freebies depend on the creator, if you can’t find a readme file giving permission for commercial use it’s best to assume it’s not OK.

Posted: 08 November 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16733
Joined  2003-10-09

Jerriecan, as Lars says, some freebies can be used for commercial renders, but there are a lot that can’t.

THe readme is where to look on freebies, to check. Even a place like ShareCG, some of the older freebies the usage rights as shown on site, can be misleading as Share have changed the options available a couple of times.  I know that the very early ones I put up there, there was no way I could say OK for commercial renders but not for redistirbution, but now I can specify just that with the new options for usage rights they have added. However most of my readme’s contain a phrase which says they can be used for anything but not re-distributed in any form.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 08 November 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Over-Cyprus-Armageddon-ebook/dp/B008858YNY

I did the cover for this ebook

I think the key is too one, look for the key scene or key theme of the book, and go from there.  A commercially available character that matches or approximates your own is probably the best bet if you’re going that route… but you could also do something a little more abstract that’s attention grabbing.  That would be my approach.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  0

That’s pretty cool wancow! Thank you for the advice everyone. I believe everything for the render in question is commercial though I’ll doublecheck. I actually used the render to help me decide on a look for the character for the novel.

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum