Can purchased content be resold?
Posted: 09 November 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27
Ledhead - 09 November 2012 06:31 PM
TheWheelMan - 09 November 2012 06:20 PM

I think it’s unethical to “sell” your purchased digital content because it’s far too easy to sell it to 2 people, or ten, or a thousand. All it would take is a few a-holes doing such a thing to force content creators to lock their files down so that it was either too complicated or too expensive for most of us to continue.

This is where it being illegal to do so. If I wanted to I could sell what I have purchased and no one would be any the wiser, but it would be illegal, so I am not going to do that.

If I had the right to sell the items one time and then was required to delete the items, then that is what I would do.

The point I am making is there are people who are going to sell things illegally anyway, so what difference does it make.

There are people who are going to commit murder anyway, so what difference does that make?

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  554
Joined  2011-04-12
RawArt - 09 November 2012 06:21 PM
ruekaka - 09 November 2012 06:13 PM

How is the opposite true? Truth = everyone agrees to not redistribute

Sorry, what I meant was that you can agree to an EULA, but if an item of the EULA is against the law in your country you must not follow it (at least if you are a private person, not a company).

The EULA is a contract between you and the company you purchase from.
If you violate the contract then you are liable.
It is that simple.

No, it’s not that simple.  If the contract terms themselves are against the law, you are not liable.  This is especially true in cases where there was no opportunity for negotiation, and one party was in a ‘take it or leave it’ position.

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1584
Joined  2012-01-04
TheWheelMan - 09 November 2012 06:38 PM
Ledhead - 09 November 2012 06:31 PM
TheWheelMan - 09 November 2012 06:20 PM

I think it’s unethical to “sell” your purchased digital content because it’s far too easy to sell it to 2 people, or ten, or a thousand. All it would take is a few a-holes doing such a thing to force content creators to lock their files down so that it was either too complicated or too expensive for most of us to continue.

This is where it being illegal to do so. If I wanted to I could sell what I have purchased and no one would be any the wiser, but it would be illegal, so I am not going to do that.

If I had the right to sell the items one time and then was required to delete the items, then that is what I would do.

The point I am making is there are people who are going to sell things illegally anyway, so what difference does it make.

There are people who are going to commit murder anyway, so what difference does that make?

I don’t see there was anyone reason for that comment. I made a valid point that certain people do not care about something being legal or not, but most people are honest and those honest people are going to do what is right. If those honest people are not able to sell the content then they won’t, but if they were allowed to sell it one time only, then that is what they will do.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04

It goes the other way also. I could get music and movies all day long for free, but I don’t, I have purchased all of my music (I have no idea how much music I have, but it’s a lot) and every movie I own (900 DVD’s and Blu-Rays). I just wouldn’t feel right doing it any other way.

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  845
Joined  2008-11-01
Murgatroyd - 09 November 2012 06:50 PM
RawArt - 09 November 2012 06:21 PM
ruekaka - 09 November 2012 06:13 PM

How is the opposite true? Truth = everyone agrees to not redistribute

Sorry, what I meant was that you can agree to an EULA, but if an item of the EULA is against the law in your country you must not follow it (at least if you are a private person, not a company).

The EULA is a contract between you and the company you purchase from.
If you violate the contract then you are liable.
It is that simple.

No, it’s not that simple.  If the contract terms themselves are against the law, you are not liable.  This is especially true in cases where there was no opportunity for negotiation, and one party was in a ‘take it or leave it’ position.

Agreeing to not distribute is not against the law in anyone’s country. RawArt is correct… it is a voluntary contract between you and another party.

edit: It would be really sad to me if DAZ 3D could no longer sell products to certain countries….

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3143
Joined  2004-04-25

Can we leave murder out of this?

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1806
Joined  2012-04-14
JasmineSkunk - 09 November 2012 07:01 PM

Agreeing to not distribute is not against the law in anyone’s country. RawArt is correct… it is a voluntary contract between you and another party.

edit: It would be really sad to me if DAZ 3D could no longer sell products to certain countries….

How do you know that? Are you familiar with the law in every single country in the world?

A voluntary contract is still void if the terms are against the law in a particular country.

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2012-02-21

It would be really sad to me if DAZ 3D could no longer sell products to certain countries

Why should that be a consequence of that? Normally I purchase my stuff to use it and not to sell it to someone. It’s not the case that a sowtware company could not exists in europe just because the european people are allowed to sell/buy used software.

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27
icprncss - 09 November 2012 07:05 PM

My point is that you could make the aforementioned comment about any and every law every created. Either they all “matter” or none them do. Whether or not people can get away with it, or who will and won’t follow the law, is irrelevant. It just is what it is. Such a statement as “it doesn’t matter” adds nothing to the conversation, and in my view, is also wrong. With murder, it matters, regardless of whether or not someone will do it anyway. Therefore it also matters in this case.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
TheWheelMan - 09 November 2012 07:14 PM
icprncss - 09 November 2012 07:05 PM

My point is that you could make the aforementioned comment about any and every law every created. Either they all “matter” or none them do. Whether or not people can get away with it, or who will and won’t follow the law, is irrelevant. It just is what it is. Such a statement as “it doesn’t matter” adds nothing to the conversation, and in my view, is also wrong. With murder, it matters, regardless of whether or not someone will do it anyway. Therefore it also matters in this case.

I did not say it doesn’t matter, I said what difference does it make in which I was referring to certain people or going to ignore distribution of digital content anyway and others will do what is right, so if a person sells more than one then they would just as well sell the item whether they were allowed to or not. If that was understandable or not.

Sorry if there was any confusion or if I created more confusion.

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  845
Joined  2008-11-01
ruekaka - 09 November 2012 07:14 PM

It would be really sad to me if DAZ 3D could no longer sell products to certain countries

Why should that be a consequence of that? Normally I purchase my stuff to use it and not to sell it to someone. It’s not the case that a sowtware company could not exists in europe just because the european people are allowed to sell/buy used software.

Perhaps not…but there are plenty of things I can not order from various places because of differing laws.

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1827
Joined  2008-05-31
JasmineSkunk - 09 November 2012 07:01 PM

But the EU ruling clearly states that you are allowed to resell regardless of what the EULA says.

Parts of Microsoft’s software EULA is not binding in my country either, despite you agree to it by clicking “Next”, because they are not legal according to our local laws.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 09 November 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1827
Joined  2008-05-31
ruekaka - 09 November 2012 07:14 PM

I don’t think I’d sell much of my stuff either. As for 3D content probably just a few items which I’ve accidently bought twice, and some of the Rendo stuff which cannot be returned even if you don’t like it.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 09 November 2012 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1389
Joined  2006-01-16

No, sorry.

natrix natrix - 08 November 2012 12:34 PM

Over the last 10 years I have purchased software and content for thousands of dollars both here at DAZ and at other stores. Now I have completely lost interest in rendering, and was wondering if I am allowed to sell all this stuff, for example on Ebay. Or easier still, can I simply sell my store accounts complete with saved downloads?

Posted: 09 November 2012 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-04
DAZ_Kevin - 09 November 2012 09:32 PM

No, sorry.

natrix natrix - 08 November 2012 12:34 PM

Over the last 10 years I have purchased software and content for thousands of dollars both here at DAZ and at other stores. Now I have completely lost interest in rendering, and was wondering if I am allowed to sell all this stuff, for example on Ebay. Or easier still, can I simply sell my store accounts complete with saved downloads?

Is that all we get is a “No Sorry”?

Why no sorry?

Can there be an explanation as to why other than because that’s just the way it is and other than because the EULA says so?

Signature 

3 of 4