Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Can purchased content be resold?
Posted: 08 November 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2003-10-09

Over the last 10 years I have purchased software and content for thousands of dollars both here at DAZ and at other stores. Now I have completely lost interest in rendering, and was wondering if I am allowed to sell all this stuff, for example on Ebay. Or easier still, can I simply sell my store accounts complete with saved downloads?

Signature 

Software choice: Poser Pro 2012

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3142
Joined  2004-04-25

You would have to contact DAZ regarding the transfer of licenses for the software.  Last time I asked about a transfer of license was back in the days of Curious Labs and they made it very plain that my bosses could transfer aka give me the license for P4 but they could not sell it to me. 

As for content, no, I don’t think so.  I think that falls under the heading of redistribution and perhaps even copyright infringement.  Most EULA’s specify that you are purchasing the right to use the product.  You don’t actually own the product.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3032
Joined  2004-04-14

No.  DAZ and other stores do not allow the resell of content or program liceneces

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3142
Joined  2004-04-25

If you don’t have any interest at the moment, why not just give yourself some time off?

I’ve never heard of anyone selling their account.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 08 November 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Thank you for your replies!
Just too bad, all that money wasted. With an “analog” hobby, I could at least have made some of it back smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1827
Joined  2008-05-31
natrix natrix - 08 November 2012 12:34 PM

Over the last 10 years I have purchased software and content for thousands of dollars both here at DAZ and at other stores. Now I have completely lost interest in rendering, and was wondering if I am allowed to sell all this stuff, for example on Ebay. Or easier still, can I simply sell my store accounts complete with saved downloads?

In Europe it has recently become legal to resell digital content regardless what the EULA says, so if you’re located there it shouldn’t be a problem.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 08 November 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3032
Joined  2004-04-14
Taozen - 08 November 2012 04:52 PM

In Europe it has recently become legal to resell digital content regardless what the EULA says, so if you’re located there it shouldn’t be a problem.

That is only true for a software licence.  3D content is not a computer program, it is a user file.  The law in Europe refers only to computer software.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 09 November 2012 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

I actually do live in Europe. That’s interesting! Does anyone have a link?

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2012 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2005-08-25
Mattymanx - 08 November 2012 05:22 PM
Taozen - 08 November 2012 04:52 PM

That is only true for a software licence.  3D content is not a computer program, it is a user file.  The law in Europe refers only to computer software.

no no, it’s for every digital file.
you can resell everything here if you have proof of owner ship and bills….
it’s great of use smile
if you would stop your hobby… for something else.
i don’t think ebay is the right place to sell this.

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 09 November 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-09-19
Mattymanx - 08 November 2012 05:22 PM

3D content is not a computer program

Take a look inside any Poser or Studio format file, that’s clearly a computer programme. Poser and Studio are simply the interpreter through which they execute.

Posted: 09 November 2012 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-19
natrix natrix - 09 November 2012 12:36 AM

I actually do live in Europe. That’s interesting! Does anyone have a link?

It’s a ruling of the European Court: http://www.dw.de/oracle-loses-court-fight-over-software-resale-rules/a-16069323

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15659
Joined  2003-10-09

Which means that we are likely to see increasing pressure to switch to subscription-based licenses. Definitely a Pyrrhic victory, assuming it holds up.

It may well require another case to establish whether the judgement applies to content as to applications but in the meantime, the DAZ position remains that content cannot be resold.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2005-08-25
Richard Haseltine - 09 November 2012 06:18 AM

pressure to switch to subscription-based licenses.

do you mean, monthly based subscribtion licenses to use 3d content?

no thx
that means the end for me.

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2007-01-04

UsedSoft’s business model hinges completely on reselling used packages or legally obtained license keys for them.

This whole thing hangs on the part in the quote I’ve highlighted, this ruling only counts for software with a license key, AKA serial number, it doesn’t count for software your “leasing” from a company. So while you could resell DS and any plugins you might have bought, it stops you from selling any content you’ve bought as without a license key you don’t actually own it, DAZ/Rendo etc and the vender’s are the owners, you just have an indefinite lease allowing you to use it.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 09 November 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-19
Bejaymac - 09 November 2012 06:43 AM

UsedSoft’s business model hinges completely on reselling used packages or legally obtained license keys for them.

This whole thing hangs on the part in the quote I’ve highlighted, this ruling only counts for software with a license key, AKA serial number, it doesn’t count for software your “leasing” from a company. So while you could resell DS and any plugins you might have bought, it stops you from selling any content you’ve bought as without a license key you don’t actually own it, DAZ/Rendo etc and the vender’s are the owners, you just have an indefinite lease allowing you to use it.

The whole point of the EC judgement is you can sell the lease, license keys are just another form of lease/contract.

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2011-09-13

According to UK solicitors Goodwin Proctor:
“For Directive 2009/24 to apply, the first sale must occur within the European Union and the exhaustion right only applies within the European Union” (my emphasis). I don’t think a purchase from DAZ counts as a sale occurring within the EU (for customers from the EU it is an import—we do not pay VAT on it, for one thing).

This ruling does specifically apply to computer programs. I think it’s debatable as to whether the 3D assets such as those sold by DAZ are computer programs and I think this is something a court will have to decide, so I would not be attempting to sell 3D content (if, say, I had bought it in the EU) just yet.

Another UK law firm, Charles Russell, gives the opinion that “[t]he principles involved may well extend to other products which can be sold digitally, such as films, music and books” (my emphasis) so I think we will be looking at more court cases before the legality of re-selling downloaded content other than computer programs is established.

1 of 4