Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Render Farm
Posted: 08 November 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2012-04-10

I would like to start building a render farm to speed up some animation renders, what is the best way or easiest way to do that in daz studio?

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

DS does not have network rendering capabilities…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2012-04-10

Ok, just curious, what is the RIB export for when rendering using the default 3delight engine? I’ve noticed that you can network renders using RIB using third party engines, i think

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Yes.  But there are big drawbacks when trying to do animations, that way

One of the biggest…the free 3Delight stand alone is also not network capable…and converting a DS RIB to another Rman renderer isn’t easy (too many shader conversions to make it easy).  So the best you can do is a second machine…not really a ‘farm’.

If you want to pay for the standalone 3Delight, then I suppose it would be practical.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 08 November 2012 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2007-01-08

In the render settings select “Render to”: “Image Series” and assign different start and end frames to the various computers. Then rebuild the video in one of the several available programs (VirtualDub, Windows movie Player, etc.) One could conceivably keyframe the renders on a plane and then render that to video inside DS. tongue laugh It would be slower than doing it the other way, though.

Posted: 09 November 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1263
Joined  2003-12-16

the ability to export .RIB’s was very useful and still is for older systems or systems with limited RAM because it allowed you to render in an session that Daz Studio did not need to be running in and this freed up a considerable amount of RAM. If you had a 2 core system it was overall faster to render (by a few seconds anyway) but Daz3d does not own or partner with 3Delight, the 2 core limit is their decision and they don’t appear show any sign of changing that anytime soon. Standalone 3Delight for network and use with more than 2 cores will cost $2,500 US for the license.

If you have Studio 3.1 you can use either Reality ($49-$69 US) or LuxRenderDS (free) to export to LuxRender (free) which will allow you to map a render farm to your host system provided all the nodes are running LuxConsole (free and bundled with LuxRender)

If you have Studio 4 you can use Reality, but not LuxRenderDS

I have used all three solutions, personally I prefer the Reality to LuxRender farm one over the other two, possibly because it was far simpler than the 3Delight solution and I got better results. Reality has a great support system, and my dealings with the developer have all been very positive and professional.

Here’s an old post on the .RIB to external process, ancient stuff but it still applies for the most part.
http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=109277&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 09 November 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17
mjc1016 - 08 November 2012 12:26 PM

One of the biggest…the free 3Delight stand alone is also not network capable…and converting a DS RIB to another Rman renderer isn’t easy (too many shader conversions to make it easy).  So the best you can do is a second machine…not really a ‘farm’.

If you want to pay for the standalone 3Delight, then I suppose it would be practical.

re:blue—This is not quite right.  As long as the shaders are RiSpec, they’ll be compatible across Renderman Renderers.  That is what RiSpec is about.  When one exits into the non-RiSpec areas is when things get hairy.

Animations are doable.  One just has to plan for them.  I just completed a 120+ frame RIB’d animation containing Optitex Dynamics and other “interesting” items.

The commercial version of 3Delight has built-in network rendering (up to the number of licenses that have been purchased)

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 09 November 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Kendall Sears - 09 November 2012 08:31 AM

re:blue—This is not quite right.  As long as the shaders are RiSpec, they’ll be compatible across Renderman Renderers.  That is what RiSpec is about.  When one exits into the non-RiSpec areas is when things get hairy.

Aqsis doesn’t do ‘auto recompile’...so all the DS defaults, Omni and others that are in sdl only form aren’t usable, without the source.  Pixie hasn’t been updated in a long time, so it’s feature set is limited and many of the more advanced/recent shaders won’t work, because the features aren’t available in Pixie. Prman may…but that is definitely a more expensive option.  As to others…mileage may vary.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 09 November 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
mjc1016 - 09 November 2012 10:21 AM
Kendall Sears - 09 November 2012 08:31 AM

Aqsis doesn’t do ‘auto recompile’...so all the DS defaults, Omni and others that are in sdl only form aren’t usable, without the source.  Pixie hasn’t been updated in a long time, so it’s feature set is limited and many of the more advanced/recent shaders won’t work, because the features aren’t available in Pixie. Prman may…but that is definitely a more expensive option.  As to others…mileage may vary.

Compilation is non-RiSpec.  Each vendor is open to compile to whatever form they wish.  Just as the C++ standard is for the source only.  Micro$oft’s compilation is not the same as the compilation from g++ .  However, both are C++.  Renderman is the same, only the Source code is RiSpec.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 09 November 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Right…and the ones that don’t ship with source code, can’t be compiled.  Which pretty much means the DS defaults and the Omni (if they are supposed to have source, now, I can’t find it).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 09 November 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
mjc1016 - 09 November 2012 11:59 AM

Right…and the ones that don’t ship with source code, can’t be compiled.  Which pretty much means the DS defaults and the Omni (if they are supposed to have source, now, I can’t find it).

This is an issue with the shader vendors, not Renderman, RiSpec, or RIB.  The point is that there ARE shaders out there that don’t ship compiled or encrypted and those will (mostly) work without problems.  Which is why I said “not quite right.”  There are those instances where a commercial concern has limited the access.

My point was that porting the RIB is not a problem.  The specific shaders used may be.  The solution is to not use shaders that are restricted, or to use shaders with analogues in the target environment.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-03-08

Porting the RIB and even dealing with the shaders are not the biggest problems. The biggest one is to make DS to export multiple frames to RIB in a batch. When I select “render to image sequence” or “render to movie” and then “render to RIB”, it puts the first frame to the RIB, then clears it and starts with writing another frame from a scratch, ending with just the final frame in the RIB!

The RIB contains only WorldBegin, no FrameBegin section, so it’s made like separate RIB per frame but written into the same filename. I don’t know how to overcome this bug - I’d be happy with either one big RIB with each frame in separate FrameBegin - FrameEnd, or with separate RIB files per frame, but I can’t accept exporting every single frame manually! Please help!

Signature 

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/TJWizard1976
My music - http://tj.krakow.pl/music/

Posted: 28 January 2013 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Basically, what you are looking for is either the RIB to be written ‘correctly’ with FrameBegin/FrameEnd or the file name to be incremented after each RIB is written…

With the way DS is set up, it would probably be easier to come up with incremented RIBs…

Casual has a script for doing just that with images…I’m not sure if it can be adapted to render incremented RIBs, but…

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjlistrender-for-ds-1-2-3-4

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-08-28

reality 2 will allow you to create a render farm on a network or over the internet. I am using it with Daz 4.5 and luxrender.

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2012-03-11

I know it’s a bit old thread but I wish to share my method of doing render farm on DAZ Studio.

You can split # of frames across to computers with DAZ Studio installed (you’ll need to share your My Library folder for other computers to access).  Set up a ratio of # of frames based on their benchmark.  That way all computers can complete the entire renders at the same time.  If a computer is twice the fast, give twice the amount of frames to it.

In my case, my three computers are based on the same benchmark so I just give each equal # of frames..  I was able to complete the animation render in 1/3 of time.

Any thought? :o)

Posted: 08 March 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2012-03-11
KibbyCabbit - 08 March 2013 06:47 PM

(you’ll need to share your My Library folder for other computers to access)

Or check your EULA to see if you can install the contents to rest of your computers for speedy loading & rendering.

1 of 3