Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
My first Prop - The Forgotten Chapel - WIP [Commercial]
Posted: 08 November 2012 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2006-07-24
Hi there,

this is going to be my first prop for DAZ and Poser. I have been working as a 2D freelance illustrator for 8 years and was digging into 3D over the last months as well. My 2D portfolio is at www.drakken.de, in case you want to take a look.

So attached is the beginning of my first set. It is not finished yet and i already did things over and over again, because i have no process to stick to at the moment. I also do not know small things like where to add bevels etc and am testing around a lot. Many promo images (models, untextured) from well known vendors do not show edge bevels at all.

What needs to be done:

Add details, debris, plants, etc.

Think about textures.

Think about an environment arount the Chapel (perhaps a cemetary?)

And i am a no native english speaker, just in case you wonder smile

Thanks for watching.

[ Edited: 11 November 2012 06:20 AM by drakken3d ]
Image Attachments
ForgChapelWIP04.JPG
 Signature 

drakken 3D - illustration & design

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 08 November 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4632
Joined  2004-07-01
very nice work - smile

Posted: 08 November 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2009-08-05
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the textured version.
 Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 November 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
Thanks a lot smile

Playing around with base textures and colors etc. right now. No bump / displ maps or dirt layers so far, just basic stuff.
Image Attachments
ForgChapelWIP06.JPG
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 11 November 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
Still just basic texturs... really time consuming smile

Image Attachments
ForgChapelWIP08.JPG
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 11 November 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-02-13
any chance of a peek at the wireframes to get an idea of how many polys there are?

regards,
waningmoon

Posted: 11 November 2012 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
No prob smile

According to the statistics panel there are about 8260 polys right now.

Image Attachments
ForgChapelWIP09.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 11 November 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-13
nice. i see a fair amount of triangles. if i recall daz or poser can have problems with triangles. i do remember it being said that quads are preferred. other than that, i would ask around for modelling input techniques for making items for daz.

regards,
waningmoon

Posted: 11 November 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2009-02-04
Quads are prefered as they can be easily subdivided and they smooth better too, So in this case he should be ok.
Triangles are not really a problem in poser and DS espicially if they are on flatish surfaces of a ridgid objects, (like this chaple).
Ive even bought some clothing items on the Daz store that were ALL in triangles, and they render just fine.
Its N-gons you really have to watch out for as they wont render correctly in either program and are considered bad topology in general.

Very good model, the only thing I can see that is any real cause for concern is where you have cut a hole for that round window, it looks like you made a boolean cut, becareful with those - as they leave quite a mess behind, but since the cutting surface is flat you might get away with it on this particular occasion smile
Normally I would cut an approx hole manually, it doesnt have to be as circular as the actual window either, it could be little more than an octogan, since that curved window frame/border (where you used a tube primative) will cover up the 'approximate' hole nicley. Doing it this way you aren't left with a bunch of irregular topology, which may or may not render well on the exported mesh.

One other thing to bear in mind, Poser and DS will discard any smoothing group information in an .OBJ (exported format), for this reason, you might find you will need to break the verts that make up all your sharp edges and corners or preferabley, bevel/chamfer them, otherwise DS/poser might try to smooth over them (not a good look) you will want to retain those nice clean well defined edges.
i would do a quick test export/import to poser now to check out how it renders in its current state.

Those areas where you have chamfered edges should be just fine though smile
Thats the golden rule for a mesh intended for DS/Poser, if you want a good clean edge, you must either; chamfer, bevel or break verts.
breaking verts should really be avoided if you intend to use a displacment map though, or else you end up with broken seams, (gaps)

You texture work is looking really nice smile If you dont end up needing to break verts on edges I would definately suggest you add a displacment map for the masonry and it will look amazing.
If you have only been doing 3d for a few months, you are doing very well indeed. Nice work.
[ Edited: 11 November 2012 03:29 PM by Dogz ]
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

Posted: 12 November 2012 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
@waningmoon

Thanks. I researched quite a bit up front and triangles should be ok. N-Gons are a no-go.

@DogZ

Thanks a lot for your input smile

Very good model, the only thing I can see that is any real cause for concern is where you have cut a hole for that round window

Yes it was a boolean. And i had to connect a few edges manually afterwards. Also deleted some floating points, so theoretically, there should be no issue.

One other thing to bear in mind, Poser and DS will discard any smoothing group information in an .OBJ (exported format), for this reason, you might find you will need to break the verts that make up all your sharp edges and corners or preferabley, bevel/chamfer them, otherwise DS/poser might try to smooth over them (not a good look) you will want to retain those nice clean well defined edges.
i would do a quick test export/import to poser now to check out how it renders in its current state.

Interesting. I found a few tutorials where people stated, that one should apply smoothing angles to every part of the model to prevent poser from smoothing too much. A rule of thumb was, that an angle of 34 degrees is a good value for a lot of cases. Some said, that there might be edges that one has to detach from one another to get a good result, but principally, one should avoud breaking everything apart. Well, i think i will have to try that out. I imported a small part already into Daz Studion without any problems.

Jack Tomalin wrote a good tutorial about preparing models for poser a few years ago. The pdf should be downloadable somewhere at his website.

Displacements: I might have to redo a few of the pillars etc, because i forgot that displacements need enough underlying geometry to work properly, and some areas need more. Well, it is my first prop anyway. When i get that done i should know most of the hurdles concerning creating props.

Thanks again.
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 12 November 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-13
will be watching out for a release when you are either happy with it or sick of seeing it. :p

regards,
waningmoon

Posted: 12 November 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
@waningmoon

Lucky me that i am kind of a pitbull concerning problems - i just need to solve them smile

For all of you who are interested or start out as i do right now:

I attached a quick testrender done in poser. Please forgive me the low quality, but i am not familiar with the render engine in poser right now.

The model on the left side has a bit more geometry to it, its edges bevelled and the bases detached from it, the model on the right has no bevelled edges, less geometry and its bases still attached to it.

My conclusion: unfortunately i have to re-do a few parts of the chapel but for the future i will definetly go with edge bevels whereever possible.

Image Attachments
PoserTest.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
Beveling the edges there made a world of difference. It's coming along nicely smile
 Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 13 November 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
Thanks Gedd! smile

I will finish the center part (see attached image) of the set first and give it away as a freebie.

Would be cool if i could get some feedback. As this is my first set i want to make sure, that the final thing works smile

I ordered an older Poser Version (7) today for backwarts compatability. So it might take me one or to days two set things up.

Image Attachments
Freebie.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 15 November 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24
Here is the center part nearly finished. It needs some more tweaking etc. but it's coming along quite okay, i think.

Image Attachments
ForgChapelWIP11.JPG
 Signature 

My DAZ PA Store

Posted: 15 November 2012 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-18
Very nice work.

Are you unwrapping in Modo, or are you utilizing ZBrush at all in your workflow? I ask because I'm modeling my assets for my comic in LightWave 11, and using GoZ quite a bit to handle both UV work and polypainting / map creation.

Regardless, love the look of the crypt. Well done.
 Signature 

Tony Bruno
“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
—William Arthur War

http://discardedlives.com
http://tonybruno3d.com

1 of 5