Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Creased Edges
Posted: 02 June 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2010-09-22

The canopy area and the fuselage are at this time one object! ONCE near done I plan to disassociate them from the fuselage

Posted: 02 June 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1537
Joined  2008-01-01

I know Carrara’s VM well - which is why I don’t use it!

The thing is, creased edges are a rendering effect - Hex is not a renderer, so doesn’t have anything like that - the closest to making creased edges without adding geometry, which also shows up in C as creased, is the break tool.

Believe me, it is far less hassle just to crease the edges in C, where you can nominate what angle you want it show up as creased.

Posted: 02 June 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2005-09-05
RichardChaos - 02 June 2012 06:51 AM

I am not sure many of you have worked in Carrara and specially the vertex modeler, if you did you would understand what a CREASED line is in it and what I am trying to do in HEX. I know you can add geometry and edges to get a harder CREASE/edge.

I know I haven’t used Carrara more than once…

So if creased means something other than a sharp edge, you are right I’m not getting what you are trying to do. Do you have a close-up of the effect you are after? That would perhaps help us to help you better….

Pen

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 02 June 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-08-23

Roygee, explained it better than I could have. Also it illustrates why I said you sometimes get artifacts in different programs, they don’t all read the crease value the same.

Posted: 02 June 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

That’s it exactly - by way of illustration

In the Hex example, one cube has the break tool applied and the other not - both smoothed to level 2 - same in the Carrara example - see the yellow lines?  Those show creasing applied.

It can be seen as “resistance to smoothing” - the difference being that in Hex you select the level of smoothing to be “resisted” and in Carrara (and other rendering apps) you select the angle of creasing - result exactly the same.

Image Attachments
Hexbreak.jpg
carcreased.jpg

Posted: 03 June 2012 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2005-09-05
Roygee - 02 June 2012 10:27 PM

That’s it exactly - by way of illustration

In the Hex example, one cube has the break tool applied and the other not - both smoothed to level 2 - same in the Carrara example - see the yellow lines?  Those show creasing applied.

It can be seen as “resistance to smoothing” - the difference being that in Hex you select the level of smoothing to be “resisted” and in Carrara (and other rendering apps) you select the angle of creasing - result exactly the same.

Thanks for the explanation…

Basically a tool that allows you to keep the edges firm and sharp without adding extra lines…

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 03 June 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

Thanks for all the advise! I will give alt that a try if my main machine stops being sick!

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

I do wish that both HEX and carrara had a creased edge thing which you could assign the amount of creased… Sometimes carrara creased edges are way too sharp! I do have Shaders Plus from DCG to softened them up though but carrara and hex should have something to that effect.

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2003-10-09
RichardChaos - 04 June 2012 09:14 AM

I do wish that both HEX and carrara had a creased edge thing which you could assign the amount of creased… Sometimes carrara creased edges are way too sharp! I do have Shaders Plus from DCG to softened them up though but carrara and hex should have something to that effect.

Well Hex has it. It’s called the Chamfer tool. You can get as round or sharp edge as you want with it.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

...and in Carrara it’s called “Fillet” - in wooodworking terms this would be “chamfer” or “bevel” -but it does mean adding geometry, which brings us round the full cycle.

2 of 2