Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
S.E. Asian Shields (‘Smart+’ Props for Poser and DAZ Studio) [DS Shader Uploaded]
Posted: 13 December 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  0

These are gorgeous! Thank you!

Signature 

“It is small and broken, but still good. Still good.”
—Lilo & Stitch—

My Content Paradise Store
My Freebies

Posted: 14 December 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2003-10-09
Seliah - 13 December 2012 09:33 AM

These are gorgeous! Thank you!

I agree!  Happy holidays!

Posted: 25 December 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2007-09-01

Thanks for the comments - and a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to one and all!

Completed version of the Poser Triple Material Shader freebie now available from ShareCG or Renderosity Freestuff.

You’ll probably need to play around on the Advanced tab of the material room to get things looking how you want. The shader network should be pretty intuitive, but there’s some hints in the readme. I can add more info on this thread if anybody wants?

N.B. These shaders are for POSER ONLY!
Tested in Poser 6, 8, and 9 on a Windows 7 PC.

(DAZ Studio version will follow, not sure how soon…)

P.S. The reflection map image in this package is from www.horo.ch, used with permission. Thanks Horo!

Image Attachments
ShieldTMSPromo.jpg
 Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 02 January 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

...and finally, got the DAZ Studio version of the shader completed (sort of) and uploaded. It’s not quite how I wanted it, but it’s good enough for the time being. No real known issues - just didn’t get some of the nice features I wanted into it.

Available as a freebie at ShareCG and Renderosity Freestuff.

Tested on a Windows 7 PC in both DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4.5

(Darn it! just compared the image below with the one above from the Poser shader above, and I seem to have lost the reflections!? No time to sort that now, but I’ll get back to it and see what’s going on…)

P.S. The reflection map image in this package is from www.horo.ch, used with permission. Thanks Horo!

Image Attachments
Promo1.jpg
 Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 02 January 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
3dcheapskate - 02 January 2013 08:06 AM

...and finally, got the DAZ Studio version of the shader completed (sort of) and uploaded. It’s not quite how I wanted it, but it’s good enough for the time being. No real known issues - just didn’t get some of the nice features I wanted into it.

Available as a freebie at ShareCG and soon on Renderosity Freestuff with luck.

Tested on a Windows 7 PC in both DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4.5

(Darn it! just compared the image below with the one above from the Poser shader above, and I seem to have lost the reflections!? No time to sort that now, but I’ll get back to it and see what’s going on…)

Yes, but the bump/displacement/normalmap (or whatever) seems to provide a ‘cleaner’ or ‘crisper’ mesh deformation…looks more like it’s actually part of the mesh and not something ‘painted’ on.

I’ll give it a spin and see if I can see what happened to the reflections.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 02 January 2013 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Well, the reflection is working correctly - it just doesn’t show up very well with the default settings.

The attached image shows renders after a series of cumulative changes on the surfaces tab:

1. Loaded the rectangular shield prop into DS4.5, X-rotated it 180° so it’s face-up, selected top view and zoomed a bit. No lights in the scene, so DS default lighting. Applied the ShieldTMS(Full).duf. Rendered it. No sign of reflection.
2. Set ‘Wear Mask’ to ‘None’on the surfaces tab (SEAShieldRectangular > Shield > Masks) and re-rendered. You can just make out the reflection if you look very carefully.
3. Set specular strength to 0% (was 50% by default) and reflection strength to 100% (was 50% by default) for the Mid Texture (SEAShieldRectangular > Shield >  Mid Texture > Specular/Reflection) and re-rendered. The reflections a little bit easier to spot.
4. Set the diffuse color to mid-grey, 128,128,128, (was 32,32,32 by default) for the Mid Texture (SEAShieldRectangular > Shield >  Mid Texture > Diffuse) and re-rendered. The reflection is very clearly there now

Image Attachments
ReflTest.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 03 January 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01
mjc1016 - 02 January 2013 03:22 PM

Yes, but the bump/displacement/normalmap (or whatever) seems to provide a ‘cleaner’ or ‘crisper’ mesh deformation…looks more like it’s actually part of the mesh and not something ‘painted’ on.

I’ll give it a spin and see if I can see what happened to the reflections.

Thanks, it’s just bump. No normals in this shader (still haven’t got the maths sorted!). Per-layer displacement is in the shader, but default settings are zero. It’s only per-layer bump that’s non-zero for the render (negative for the base (wood) layer, positive for the upper (gold design) layer.

Worked out why the reflection isn’t showing, but don’t really understand the deeper why behind it? Reflections worked fine with a dark mid (paint) layer in the Poser shader, so maybe I’m missing an important difference between DAZ Studio and Poser?

Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

2 of 2