Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
S.E. Asian Shields (‘Smart+’ Props for Poser and DAZ Studio) [DS Shader Uploaded]
Posted: 07 November 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  461
Joined  2007-09-01

Available for download from ShareCG and Renderosity Freestuff. Don’t forget the additional textures and shaders also available at ShareCG and Renderosity (see later posts in this thread for details)

Three ‘Smart+’ shield props for Poser and DAZ Studio, based on photographs of historical S.E.Asian punch-grip shields from various Thai palaces, temples, museums, and private collections.

There’s a single texture for each shield in both ‘new’ (as in the main promo) and ‘worn’ versions.

Why ‘Smart+’? Well, it’s like a smartprop, but it works with 28 figures…
- DAZ Gen 3: Aiko 3, David, Hiro 3, Laura 3, Luke 3, Michael 3, Stephanie Petite 3, The FREAK, The Girl, Victoria 3.
- DAZ Gen 4: Michael 4, Victoria 4 (should work with all variants, e.g. Aiko 4, etc)
- DAZ Gen 5: Genesis (base figure),
- Poser 5: P5 Don, P5 Judy.
- Poser 6: P6 James, P6 Jessi, Miki 2.
- Poser 7: G2 James, G2 Jessi.
- Sixus 1:  Behemoth, PH Female, PH Male.
- Others: Antonia, Apollo, F202 Dollie, Kirwyn’s K, MayaDoll.
...and automatically applies a hand pose to grip the shield!

Tested in DAZ Studio 3 and 4, and Poser 6, 8, and 9 on a windows PC.

(compatible with the ‘PropGoto+’ DAZ Studio/Poser scripts from my S.E. Asian Duel)

Image Attachments
SEAShieldsPromo1(400x400).jpg
 Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 07 November 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Using The ‘Smart+’ Shield Props In Poser
1) Within the scene select the figure you want to hold the shield (select any body part).
2) Double-click the Poser version of the Smart+ Shield Prop. A dialogue box will appear.
3) Click through the sequence of dialogue boxes that appear, checking that the options are what you want.
4) The shield should now be held firmly in the selected figure’s hand.

Using The ‘Smart+’ Shield Props In DAZ Studio
1) Within the scene select the figure you want to hold the shield (you must select the root node of the figure, and no other nodes must be selected).
2) Double-click the DAZ Studio version of the Smart+ Shield Prop. The shield prop will appear face down at the origin and a dialogue box will appear.
3) Check that the options in the dialogue box are what you want and then click ‘Accept’.
4) The shield should now be held firmly in the selected figure’s hand.

Image Attachments
smart+.png
 Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 07 November 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Here’s what the ‘worn’ textures look like (Poser 6 render)

Image Attachments
worn.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 07 November 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Nice work…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 07 November 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Thanks mjc1016!

By the way, the textures at present are basic diffuse and specular only. I’m still working on a DAZ Studio ‘Simple Dual Material Shader’ specifically for this shield, and I’ll be releasing it soon, along with a Poser equivalent - fingers crossed!

I’m also working on several additional designs for the faces of the shields, all based on historical examples - I’ll be releasing them soon as well

Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 07 November 2012 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

I was wondering that’s what the shader was for…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

New Poser/DAZ Studio shaders (very basic versions to start with, allowing you to easily change the paint colour and overlay design) going well, along with one additional design for each shield. Upload before the weekend if all goes well. More info plus larger versions of the attached images via the ‘Art’ and ‘Blog’ links in my signature.

Image Attachments
Untitled.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 16 November 2012 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

First texture add-on for these shields uploaded to ShareCG and Renderosity

One new design for each shield (both ‘new’ and ‘worn’ versions, with Poser and DAZ Studio materials), plus a simple shader (Poser and DAZ Studio versions) that lets you easily change the colours,design, and wear pattern.

(Next step - a more flexible shader based on my ‘Simple Dual Material Shader’ experiments. Plus more shield designs of course!)

Image Attachments
Promo1-500x500.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 17 November 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2266
Joined  2005-09-05
3dcheapskate - 16 November 2012 11:56 PM

First texture add-on for these shields uploaded to ShareCG and Renderosity

One new design for each shield (both ‘new’ and ‘worn’ versions, with Poser and DAZ Studio materials), plus a simple shader (Poser and DAZ Studio versions) that lets you easily change the colours,design, and wear pattern.

(Next step - a more flexible shader based on my ‘Simple Dual Material Shader’ experiments. Plus more shield designs of course!)

Very nice work! Thanks for this…

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 21 November 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Thanks Pen - by the way, one of the main goals of that Shader Mixer stuff you helped me get started on was to do a shader for these shields. The shader I’ve released so far is a very simple version, but I should have a far more flexible one ready for release in the not-too-distant future.

Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

...but in the meantime I’ve uploaded another Six Textures For The South East Asian Shields to ShareCG

There are two new designs for each of the three shields, and there’s a ‘new’ and ‘worn’ version of each as usual. They’re the same gold-on-black-on-wood as all the previous designs. But with the ‘ShieldTMS(Basic)’ shader (DAZ Studio and Poser versions) it’s easy to adjust the colours of the three layers (or to use texture images). It’s also really easy to use your own design for the shield pattern.

Image Attachments
MainPromo500.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2266
Joined  2005-09-05
3dcheapskate - 21 November 2012 12:57 AM

Thanks Pen - by the way, one of the main goals of that Shader Mixer stuff you helped me get started on was to do a shader for these shields. The shader I’ve released so far is a very simple version, but I should have a far more flexible one ready for release in the not-too-distant future.

Glad if I was able to help in any way…: )

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 21 November 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2008-10-05

These are really nice props.  Thank you for all your hard work and generosity.

Signature 

Have an opinion—even if it’s wrong!

Old Forum Posts = 348

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

I should probably include an example of what you can do with the simple shader I’ve included, so say hello to “Five Guys Called James”...

Each shield in this image is the same model with different overlay masks (i.e. shield designs), different diffuse/specular colours for all three layers, and the same wear pattern mask.

I’m quite pleased with how this is going - once I get the reflection and bump added to the shaders I think I’ll have reached my goal for this little project.

(I’ve already released a prototype of the DAZ Studio version of the full shader as the ‘SDMS Shader (beta)’ freebie, and I’ve got a more-or-less working Poser version too - some question threads about this will be appearing soon)

Image Attachments
FiveGuysCalledJames.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01
Teri 2 - 21 November 2012 07:48 AM

These are really nice props.  Thank you for all your hard work and generosity.

I don’t consider this hard work - it’s my idea of ‘fun’! cheese And thanks for the all the feedback, here and elsewhere!

P.S. there are a few more ongoing shield designs, but I’ve got a couple of related projects that I’m working on and I’m not sure which will be ready next…

Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 11 December 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Final batch of textures for these shields available at ShareCG and Renderosity Freestuff - one more texture for each of the three shields (‘new’ and ‘worn’ versions as usual, plus the usual masks for use with the shield shader).

The majority of my source photos have been used now. I’ve got a few more photos, mainly of round shields, but they’re mostly very small images (as mentioned at the bottom of this blog post) so that’s it for now on S.E. Asian shield patterns.

I’ve got the final version of my Poser shield shader more-or-less ready, so that should be released soon-ish. The DAZ Studio version should follow that.

Image Attachments
Promo.jpg
 Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

1 of 2