Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Characters in period costumes
Posted: 01 June 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-03-20

I am working on my seriously complex historic recreations.
Just wondering if Daz can help with period clothing from the
19th Century.
I need everything from vest to bonnets, and top hats to boots.
I am not familiar enough with Daz to understand if this program
can help.

Posted: 01 June 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17027
Joined  2003-10-09

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet, but if yougo to my site, {click on the link for Chohole’s Space in my signature bar)  You will find that on page 14 there are shown quite a few outfits, which are mostly available in the shop here.  Also on Page 5 there are some fancier ones, which we have classified as “Crinolines”   Page 1  has some free female items from Jan 19, which I have textures available for.

You will also find outfits on page 8 which work, and also some textures on the MFD page, page 7 and the PoTS page, page 2, which turn these dresses into historical outfits.

Most of the outfits shown do tell you where they are available

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-03-20

Hi, not sure where this reply will appear
This site looks great - I will bookmark it.
I am not familiar with Daz - only AutoCAD and a bit of 3ds.
What is involved in
1 - getting model with costume
2 - creating new models and costumes?

I am looking to doing period stuff 1850 - 1935.

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

OK, some one else will have to come along and get you started with Daz Studio, as I actually don’t use it. 

But the main workflow, whether using DS4 or Poser would be

Bring a human figure into your work screen

Add the clothing, conforming or fitting it to the figure

Adding textures to the clothing

Also of course you will need to add hair to the figures.

So you do need to download some clothing models and some hair models, as well as possibly some more charcter sets for whichever human figure model you choose.

There is a list of free hair related stuff here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/447/

It’s always better to start experimenting with freebies, much cheaper than purchasing stuff, until such time as you have mastered the app.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-03-20

Thank you.
What program do YOU use?
I am involved in recreating entire townships in CAD, and the thought of learning yet another program wearies me. I would prefer to buy these costumed figures, rather than start on another learning curve.

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I use Poser.  The workflow is similar to DS.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-03-20

Not sure if this question went through…
how much would it cost me for someone to do the whole model - character and costume -  so that I can import it straight into 3ds?

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

No can do, not with Daz Figures. That would be totally against the EULA

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-03-20

Wots EULA ?????

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The End User License Agreement that you click to agree to when you purchase any of Daz3D software or content. and install it.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-03-20

Wha… does this mean that no-one on DS can help with this problem?

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Basically yes.  THe Eula can be found here

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123940    This one is for the gaming community, but includes all the relevant information.  THe important part is this

4. RESTRICTIONS ON COPYING. The 3-D Model(s) is provided for User’s
exclusive use. User does not have the right to provide the 3-D Model(s) to
others in any form or on any media except as set forth in this License
Agreement. The 3-D Model(s) may be copied in whole
or in part for User’s exclusive use. Specifically, you (the User) may copy the
3-D Model(s) onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers;
provided that all such computers are physically located at your business or,
if you are an individual, your place of residence located at a single specific
street address (or its equivalent). Unauthorized copying of the 3-D Model(s)
is expressly forbidden. User expressly agrees to include DAZ’s (and any third
party’s, if any) copyright notice(s) and proprietary interest(s) on all copies of
the 3-D Model(s), in whole or in part, in any form, including data form, made
by User in accordance with this Agreement.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-03-20

Sigh… I am going to bed, it’s 1.30 am
So if I have complex engineering and architectural scenes derived through other programs, how can I get photorealistic models and costumes into my 3ds scenery?

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi kerrychivers

It’s less of a question of How much it would cost , rather than,.. is there someone with 3D-Max, Daz Studio, or Poser, and the clothing who also has the free time to do this for you.

The next part is a legal issue of the “licence to use the products”,
Unless you buy the Models (clothing is also a model) then you don’t have a Licence to use them. in any software, and so, someone else can’t put it together and send it to you.

Poser Pro (if I remember correctly) Has a Link to 3D Max, which means that you can create a scene in poser pro with the 3D human model, and it’s clothing ,.. then send it to 3D Max to render.
Poser also comes with a Bunch on models and clothing,. and 99% of the Daz3d models and clothing sold in the store here will load into poser.

Daz Studio comes with the new Genesis figure,  which is different from previous figures, like Victoria 4 and Michael 4. (which will both work in Poser.
Victoria 4 and Michael 4, are also supplied is OBJ format which can be loaded into 3D Max, although, you would then need to load in and adjust all of the texture maps for the figures to make them look better in 3D Max.
You’d also need to rig that 3D model with a Max “Biped” and skin it to work correctly,.. 

One main advantage of Daz Studio that you’d loose by importing and re-rigging the figure in 3D-Max, is the ability to have the clothing automatically conform (Fit to) the figure, and move along with it.

Daz Studio allows you to load the Model , Add the clothing (fit it to the figure), add hair, easily change the skin textures, clothing textures, or hair textures, and then animate it using simple to use tools, or pre-built (customisable) Motion capture animations.

A lot of the work you need to do, depends on what you actually want to do,. if it’s a still render, then that could be done in Daz Studio.
If it’s an animation you can also do that, and render it out with a transparent background, then composite that into a 3D Max Background.

My advice is to download the Daz Studio 4 software, while it’s still available for free,.
then play with it,. see what it does, and see if it’s possible to do what you want to do without having to jump through a load of Hoops to get it into 3D Max.

There’s also Daz Carrara, which is similar in many ways to 3D Max, It’s a Full 3D modelling texturing animation and rendering program, but it can use Daz3D and Poser Models in the same way as Daz Studio or Poser do. you may want to have a look at that too.
there’s a 30 day (Full PRO version) available on www.Download.com

Hope it helps.

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

So if I have complex engineering and architectural scenes derived through other programs, how can I get photorealistic models and costumes into my 3ds scenery?

Normally you would render or film the footage you need, and composite the 3D elements together in a Video editor.

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Please note in addition to What 3DAGE said here

Unless you buy the Models (clothing is also a model) then you don’t have a Licence to use them. in any software, and so, someone else can’t put it together and send it to you.

That even if you do own the requisite models, it is still not permissable for someone else to put a figure together and send it to you. as stated here

Specifically, you (the User) may copy the 3-D Model(s) onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers; provided that all such computers are physically located at your business or, if you are an individual, your place of residence located at a single specific street address (or its equivalent)

Signature 

1 of 4