Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Oh Stars, the downloads!
Posted: 05 November 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2005-04-28

My goodness..  I have a real love/hate relationship with Daz3D’s sales and bundles.  I love all the cool things I can get at a great price, but, oh stars, the downloads.  Today I bought the Hiro5 Bundle, DSON, and a bunch of the SciFi Bundle for Platinum members.  104 files to download and install..  *blink*blink*  104!

Now admittedly, some things can’t be helped.  Seperate installers for seperate programs makes sense.  But, maybe Daz could find a way for DazStuido to import data from files rather than run a bunch of installers to get all the data inside of DazStudio?  I would love it if I could just put all the DazStudio files into a folder, point DazStudio at it and it would take all the content and meta data and install it.  And if there are duplicates it could ask me what I want to do with them.

For that matter, it could load all the file names into a panel with default settings and let me modify them on an individual basis if I wanted to do something funny with them…

I know that they can’t do that with Poser, but they could do it with Daz Studio, Carrara, and Bryce.

So I have now downloaded the 104 install files for the things I bought today, and I am now starting the install process…  *sigh*  I’ll be back in a few hours.
                                                                  Boojum the brown bunny

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17134
Joined  2003-10-09

Some time in the hopefully not too distant future DAZ 3D will be releasing their download manager, which is supposed to be a help wiith installing. We understand that it will be free, and will only need to be downloaded once, and from then on is on your computer ready for use.

It is optional, so DIY people can still do things their preferred way.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

That’s pretty bad, I want to reset my full Itemized Downloads History so I can create a new folder and burn nothing but fully updated files to DVD’s for safe keeping. I have over 200 old files hanging out in my downloads at this time and they will not clear for three months from the date of purchase. I have no idea how many files will be involved because like you I buy many bundles as well.

I’m not looking forward to this or the time involved. I do think in the long run it might benefit me as I move fully to DS4.5.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-04-28

Oh gosh that sounds wonderful!  Thanks for telling me, Chohole!  A download manager would be perfect.  *blush*  I have to admit I’m a bit of a DazAholic.  Most of my buys are from Daz3d so not having to individually download installers would be really nice!

Boojum the brown bunny

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  994
Joined  2012-01-29
Jaderail - 05 November 2012 01:36 PM

That’s pretty bad, I want to reset my full Itemized Downloads History so I can create a new folder and burn nothing but fully updated files to DVD’s for safe keeping. I have over 200 old files hanging out in my downloads at this time and they will not clear for three months from the date of purchase. I have no idea how many files will be involved because like you I buy many bundles as well.

I’m not looking forward to this or the time involved. I do think in the long run it might benefit me as I move fully to DS4.5.

I think I read somewhere in the forum that someone wanted to have his “My Downloads” section cleared (sooner than the files would disappear on their own) for a similar reason, so s/he? contacted Support and they did this for him/her.

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-29
boojumbunn - 05 November 2012 01:38 PM

Oh gosh that sounds wonderful!  Thanks for telling me, Chohole!  A download manager would be perfect.  *blush*  I have to admit I’m a bit of a DazAholic.  Most of my buys are from Daz3d so not having to individually download installers would be really nice!

Boojum the brown bunny

Don´t be so enthusiastic. We are waiting for this download manager for MANY months already and it does not look like it will be out anytime soon. Maybe DAZ Soon - and we all know what that means. hmmm

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1584
Joined  2012-01-04

I was told it wouldn’t be ready until all the bugs are worked out of the store, so it could be a decade or so down the road.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  737
Joined  2008-02-24

If we could at least have the files as zip-files instead of installers, then that would save us a lot of hours. All this clicking trough every installer is really time consuming, instead of just select the whole bunch, right click and send them to a target directory, and then perhaps sorting and managing them there, before finally copying them to the DAZ directory.

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2007-10-08

We are currently testing the early version while the web team wraps up their side of the install manager. So it may be coming in the next month or so…Not exactly sure when it is scheduled, but they are working on and testing the early version of this.

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-29
DAZ_bfurner - 05 November 2012 02:54 PM

We are currently testing the early version while the web team wraps up their side of the install manager. So it may be coming in the next month or so…Not exactly sure when it is scheduled, but they are working on and testing the early version of this.

Wow - that is a pleasant surprise!!! Just let them test it properly, no hurry. We want a working install manager, not another Magento-something.

Posted: 05 November 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

One of my frustrations is the total lack of naming conventions that make any sense on the files, combined with somewhat arbitrary methods in bundling given files in packages makes trying to even know if one has all the parts necessary without a lot of unnecessary items near impossible. It would be nice if files had clear english names (not some truncated version someone thought up that makes sense to no one other than the originator*) as to what they are, with version numbers and some standardized way of defining software compatibility (poser, DS3, DS4, DS4.5….)

(*was going to say ‘while smoking crack’ but I’ll be nice ;p)

Hopefully, these issues will get addressed at the same time as the installer.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 06 November 2012 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29

Not to mention in the Downloads, I would LOVE, I say LOVE to have a filter allows you to only see PC or Mac files or only Poser or Daz Studio Files and one for DS 4.5 or later only files. This would make buying and downloading things for me a LOT easier.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-04-28

Yeah, they used to have a filter allowing me to select only PC files, but that vanished with the new setup.  I’m sure they are going to add it back in, however, because it seems like something a lot of people will want.
    You know, I tend to be very eclectic in my tastes, but there are certain products that I am always interested in.  Anything by Howie and Stonemason, for example.  I think it would be totally cool to have a tab that showed products (newest to oldest) filtered by maker.  Something like a “Watched Artists” tab.  Under account settings you would select artists you are particularly interested in and their objects would show up under the Watched Artists tab.  Maybe an option to email you when a particular artists products go on sale. 
                                                                Boojum the brown bunny

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2007-10-08
boojumbunn - 06 November 2012 10:11 AM

Yeah, they used to have a filter allowing me to select only PC files, but that vanished with the new setup.  I’m sure they are going to add it back in, however, because it seems like something a lot of people will want.
    You know, I tend to be very eclectic in my tastes, but there are certain products that I am always interested in.  Anything by Howie and Stonemason, for example.  I think it would be totally cool to have a tab that showed products (newest to oldest) filtered by maker.  Something like a “Watched Artists” tab.  Under account settings you would select artists you are particularly interested in and their objects would show up under the Watched Artists tab.  Maybe an option to email you when a particular artists products go on sale. 
                                                                Boojum the brown bunny

Is this the filter you are looking for PC Only items:  http://www.daz3d.com/shop/platinum-club-items

Shop by Vendor filter:  http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shop-by-vendor

We don’t have the watched artist in place.

I hope this is helpful.

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17134
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah, they used to have a filter allowing me to select only PC files, but that vanished with the new setup.

No,  DAZ 3D is in the process of changing to Zip files, which will not be OS specific.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Proxima Shining - 05 November 2012 01:43 PM
Jaderail - 05 November 2012 01:36 PM

I think I read somewhere in the forum that someone wanted to have his “My Downloads” section cleared (sooner than the files would disappear on their own) for a similar reason, so s/he? contacted Support and they did this for him/her.

Thank you For the tip. I’ll ask a few Mods which department I should contact.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

1 of 2