2 of 6
Better Renderer?
Posted: 05 November 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
KaribousBoutique - 05 November 2012 01:56 PM

Poser - Pros: Firefly is much faster than Daz’s 3Delight, includes native IDL, more documentation for advanced material settings (node-based) including SSS and AO. Includes native support for volumetric atmosheres (haze).

That isn’t to say that DS (3Delight) DOESN’T support those features…because it does.  The problem is, without 3rd party ‘add ons’, exposing them in the ‘native’ shader setup means delving deeply into ShaderMixer/Shader Builder.  In other words…Poser has them ‘exposed’ while DS has them hidden.  The support is there…the UI isn’t.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18
mjc1016 - 05 November 2012 02:56 PM

Poser - Pros: Firefly is much faster than Daz’s 3Delight, includes native IDL, more documentation for advanced material settings (node-based) including SSS and AO. Includes native support for volumetric atmosheres (haze).

That isn’t to say that DS (3Delight) DOESN’T support those features…because it does.  The problem is, without 3rd party ‘add ons’, exposing them in the ‘native’ shader setup means delving deeply into ShaderMixer/Shader Builder.  In other words…Poser has them ‘exposed’ while DS has them hidden.  The support is there…the UI isn’t.

Can’t you get AO or SSS with PWSurface or Ubersurface? And ubersurface comes with DS 4 right?

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 05 November 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-04-10

Can’t you get AO or SSS with PWSurface or Ubersurface? And ubersurface comes with DS 4 right?

Im running DS 4 and I don’t have ubersurface

Posted: 05 November 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2004-04-07

After selecting your object or group of surfaces, you’ll find HumanSurface and UberSurface under the Surfaces Tab, select presets, then shaders.

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 05 November 2012 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3036
Joined  2004-04-14
2getit - 05 November 2012 03:18 PM

pwSurface2 HAS both AO and SSS.

Ubersurface has SSS and what is labeled as Occlusion but it is not labled as AO.

Uber shaders are found in your DS Content folder in the Content Tab.  By default in DS45, the folder they are in is called Shader Presets.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 05 November 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2012-04-10

ah found it, although I have no idea how to use it lol

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
larsmidnatt - 05 November 2012 02:58 PM

The ‘problem’...UberSurface, UberEnvironment and pwSurface are ‘3rd party’ and not ‘native’ Studio items like the Poser controls for those features are.  So, while, yes, the US and UE included in DS3.x and above ‘enable’ those features it still doesn’t mean they are ‘native’. Although I suppose the example ShaderMixer presets that have been included just as long do qualify as native, just how many people actually know about those, let alone use them?

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15717
Joined  2003-10-09
mjc1016 - 05 November 2012 04:00 PM

The ‘problem’...UberSurface, UberEnvironment and pwSurface are ‘3rd party’ and not ‘native’ Studio items like the Poser controls for those features are.  So, while, yes, the US and UE included in DS3.x and above ‘enable’ those features it still doesn’t mean they are ‘native’. Although I suppose the example ShaderMixer presets that have been included just as long do qualify as native, just how many people actually know about those, let alone use them?

I’m not sure what you mean by native here - those are shaders, included with DS. So are the non-uber lights and the Default DAZ Shader, so I would have said they were equally native - they are now DAZ-owned, as far as I know, so it isn’t as if they can be whisked out by the creators.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Richard Haseltine - 05 November 2012 04:10 PM

I’m not sure what you mean by native here - those are shaders, included with DS. So are the non-uber lights and the Default DAZ Shader, so I would have said they were equally native - they are now DAZ-owned, as far as I know, so it isn’t as if they can be whisked out by the creators.

The Uber stuff is now DAZ owned?  I thought just the pw stuff was…

But, it was that the features, while exposed in things generated in ShaderMixer could be called ‘native’, just like the Poser controls for those options, Uber items were 3rd party and don’t quite qualify…yeah, it’s just semantics, but trying to convince the ‘other side’ that DS has had these features, natively, for a long time is like beating one’s head against a block wall.  They weren’t surrounded by flashing lights and arrows saying “I’m a SSS shader!!!!”, so the assumption was, the feature wasn’t there in DS.  3Delight has had SSS, AO and all the rest for a very long time…so technically has DS.

But back to the OP’s original question…

As far as renderer’s go…just how many major motion pictures (or minor, independent ones, for that matter) use Firefly?  How many use 3Delight (out of the two most common Renderman implementations, 3Delight and Prman, it’s a toss up as to which one is used more in production work)?  How many use others?

Each and every one has its strong points and its weaknesses…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 05 November 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-24

. mistake .  Someone left herself logged in.  Repeated under *my* login.

Posted: 05 November 2012 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

EDIT:  Sorry about the previous post… someone used my terminal and forgot to log herself out….

mjc1016 - 05 November 2012 04:49 PM
Richard Haseltine - 05 November 2012 04:10 PM

The Uber stuff is now DAZ owned?  I thought just the pw stuff was…

Wow, I take a day off to help a friend and look what I miss…

It doesn’t matter who owns what.  If it ships with the product, by definition it is native.  Since UberSurface and UberEnvironment have both been included since DS3A’s release, they are no more 3rd party than the Shader Mixer or any other piece.

But, it was that the features, while exposed in things generated in ShaderMixer could be called ‘native’, just like the Poser controls for those options, Uber items were 3rd party and don’t quite qualify…yeah, it’s just semantics, but trying to convince the ‘other side’ that DS has had these features, natively, for a long time is like beating one’s head against a block wall.  They weren’t surrounded by flashing lights and arrows saying “I’m a SSS shader!!!!”, so the assumption was, the feature wasn’t there in DS.  3Delight has had SSS, AO and all the rest for a very long time…so technically has DS.

Yes, DS has had a lot of capabilities through 3Delight for a very long time.  DAZ overestimates the abilities, and motivation, of the user base.

But back to the OP’s original question…

As far as renderer’s go…just how many major motion pictures (or minor, independent ones, for that matter) use Firefly?  How many use 3Delight (out of the two most common Renderman implementations, 3Delight and Prman, it’s a toss up as to which one is used more in production work)?  How many use others?

As firefly doesn’t exist outside of Poser anymore, there’s NO PROFESSIONAL ANYTHING being done with firefly.  It’s just the nature of the beast.  With that being said 3Delight != DazStudio, although it could be argued that DS is just the UI for 3DL.  Most of the 3DL work being done comes from Maya, SoftImage, or other high end software capable of working in standard RIB.  I’d love to hear of instances where DS work was directly used in the industry.

I do know of instances where DAZ content was used, but I cannot verify the use of DS.  I’ve heard rumors of Carrara being used for prototyping but, again, I’ve not been able to verify that.

EDIT:  On the “others”:  there are many boutique pieces of software being used in the in the industry, more than most realize.  It is true that Renderman (represented primarily by PRRenderman and 3Delight) is still the most dominant rendering engine, but this is mostly due to the amount of experience that can be leveraged.

Each and every one has its strong points and its weaknesses…

This is true of all software.  Use the tools for the job and let the work speak for itself.  The ultimate test of a 3D software’s prowess is when it can add SFX into live action scenes and one cannot tell that it has been done.  In other words, your best work is the work that no one notices.  grin

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  709
Joined  2008-05-05

Also, it’s very possible to get AO on surfaces in DS using Shader Mixer. I stole a bit from some forum posts and wrote a tutorial on it.  The tutorial was done in DS3A, but shader mixer is pretty much the same in DS4/4.5, so it would still work.
Tutorial Here.  I think Shader Mixer has a LOT of potential… if only there were DOCUMENTATION.  Ack.

Kendall Sears - 05 November 2012 07:11 PM

It doesn’t matter who owns what.  If it ships with the product, by definition it is native.  Since UberSurface and UberEnvironment have both been included since DS3A’s release, they are no more 3rd party than the Shader Mixer or any other piece.

Agreed.  I think it’s more a historical reflection.  If I implied otherwise, it’s because I don’t keep much track of what ships with the product!

mjc1016 - 05 November 2012 04:49 PM

Tsk, Tsk.  For some of us, there is no other side.  And, I agree with everything you’ve said… but it kind of sounds like you’re implying that the flashing lights and arrows were… a bad thing?  Because they only point out in Poser what DS already had? Seems to me that Smith Micro was just better at marketing these things.  And why shouldn’t it?  I feel like Poser is the more solid software platform—few service packs, full documentation, MANY fewer bugs—but DS has the interface and content integration and access (Genesis) nailed.  Which is why Smith Micro screams, “SSS!  AO!!” and DAZ screams, “GENESIS!”  They market what they’re best at.  And if you’re willing to fork over the money for Poser, you can have both, so the “which one is better?” question always seemed dumb to me.  Like, when I go to the store and try to decide which pair of shoes I want to buy… if I can buy both, that seems like the best plan! 

Kendall Sears - 05 November 2012 07:11 PM

As firefly doesn’t exist outside of Poser anymore, there’s NO PROFESSIONAL ANYTHING being done with firefly.  It’s just the nature of the beast.  With that being said 3Delight != DazStudio, although it could be argued that DS is just the UI for 3DL.  Most of the 3DL work being done comes from Maya, SoftImage, or other high end software capable of working in standard RIB.  I’d love to hear of instances where DS work was directly used in the industry.

I agree with Kendall. Is using a professional render engine really the point?  And, okay maybe I’m wrong, but are there really many of us (DS/Poser users) who are, um, rendering professionals?  I know there are many people who earn good money making CONTENT, but most of the people in this forum are not likely to be using any of the programs listed for serious, professional images/animation. The low cost and ease of use (little training required to get started) is the reason so many hobbyists and dabblers begin with these platforms.  I’m not a snob about my software.  I use what fits the bill.  I try to keep the learning curves to a minimum. And I honestly don’t expect to turn out Pixar-quality work.  The high-end render engines are cool, but as larsmidnatt pointed out, sometimes realism isn’t what you’re after.

And, yes, back to the OP’s question… Which one’s better? 

Both! 

But maybe I just think so because I’m a mom of twins. :D

Signature 

One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism. One is mine.

My deviantArt Gallery: http://karibous-boutique.deviantart.com/
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27

Poser - Pros: Firefly is much faster than Daz’s 3Delight, includes native IDL, more documentation for advanced material settings (node-based) including SSS and AO. Includes native support for volumetric atmosheres (haze). Cons: Interface is… challenging, at least at first. Some components are fairly useless—Face room, hair room, etc.  Poser “people” (Alyson, etc.) lack the support and quality of DAZ figures.

And I find DAZ’s interface more challenging. That’s why no one can actually answer the question, because both can do stunning things. It’s just a matter of personal preference.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 05 November 2012 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29

And, unfortunately, the documentation isn’t either. It is so sad to me that one of the biggest cons regarding DAZ (i.e. lack of documentation) seems like the easiest fix of all.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 05 November 2012 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
RKane_1 - 05 November 2012 11:41 PM

And, unfortunately, the documentation isn’t either. It is so sad to me that one of the biggest cons regarding DAZ (i.e. lack of documentation) seems like the easiest fix of all.

RenderMan (RiSpec), as used in 3Delight, is very well documented.  Some very good documentation can even be had for free.  Some other docs are not so free.

As was said previously, it is all marketing.  SM TRUMPETED that they *now* had SSS in Poser, and the Poser masses swooned.  Many of the uninformed even went on to claim that Poser was now even further ahead of DS because DS didn’t have SSS.  Why did they have that misconception?

Because DAZ didn’t market that DS had those features.  But think about it.  DS has spent the majority of it’s existence as a free program.  There was no direct monetary gain to be made by spending resources to trumpet features of a free program.

There’s nothing stopping the community from getting together to crowd-source a set of documentation.  DAZ has even facilitated this with the Wiki.  Yet folks would rather complain about lack of documentation than to try to write up some text to help move that goal along.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

2 of 6