Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Faeryls Questions About Daz ?????
Posted: 05 November 2012 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  615
Joined  2006-05-18

I am in the middle of making an outfit for Genesis and undecided exactly how to do the bones.  There are several products both pay and free one’s that I like a lot and want to take a look at how the bones were used in them.  Is there a way to view the bone structure of a piece of clothing in the new Daz?  I am hoping by seeing how bones are done in these other clothes that I will have a better idea of how I should do mine.

Signature 

I Am Not An Expert Because I Never Stop Being A Student And Continue To Learn.

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2007-01-04

Two ways to see the bones, one is with the Joint Editor, the other is in the Parameters tab (see pic).

Couple of pointers, when it comes to the rig you can use either Genesis or one of the autofit Projection Templates, and using Transfer Utility you can copy the rig and WM directly into your mesh, then all you need to do is a little tidy up of the WM, yep it really is that easy to rig items for Genesis.
Always model around the default Genesis shape, and use an ungrouped welded mesh (AKA single skin mesh). When it comes to morphs don’t rely on the auto generated ones DS puts in your clothing, they are fine for skin tight outfits, but totally useless as is for anything else, however they can be used as a base to help you make your own.

Image Attachments
Bones2.jpg
 Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-18

Thank you, all that was very helpful.  I will study the bones of other clothes to get idea’s of how best to apply bones to my clothes.  I really like the clothes made by AerySoul/AlfaSeed and thought they would be a good study as well as other artists whose clothes I like.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15684
Joined  2003-10-09

In general you don’t have any choice about how you apply bones - the only ones that are optional are those that don’t occur in the wearer, such as skirt handles. As Bejaymac said, the Transfer utility will do the setup for you - and for the bones you’d be asking for trouble not to use it as a conformer needs the joint centres to match the base figure. You may want to add some additional boner later, and to adjust the weight maps, however - for that you really need to be looking at Genesis clothing since the older Poser figures used a different system, and the Poser weight-mapping is also a different system (assuming you have Poser to inspect it, since it won’t open in DS).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5334
Joined  2008-03-06

Let’s see, where’s that old skirt tutorial in the archive?  Aha.  Here it is.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-18

Thank you Richard…it’s a shame really because Aery Soul/AlfaSeed have made such beautiful stuff and they are so easy to work with, however I don’t think they have yet created anything for Genesis.  I will be using the base bone set up in Daz as you and others have suggested to start with, though I do plan on adding extra bones to give the item more movement.  It really bugs me how limited some clothes are due to there only being a limited number of bones.  I will be buying some Genesis Daz clothes soon and can check those out as you suggested.  Once my outfit is made, I will have to figure out how to make it available to the poser community as well…but one step at a time…lol…I have a bad habit of getting ahead of myself.

Sickle thank you for the link and will be going over those tutorials in the next day or two to get myself started on boning my items.  If you don’t mind, I would like to take the information and images and put them in a pdf I can use on my computer.  I am waiting for my brother to send me my computer and monitor and then use the old P4 to view video’s and such while working on the dual core. It’s too hard on my eyes otherwise…I really should be wearing my glasses…lol

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

It’s always a good idea to save out forum tutorials to PDF if they’re useful to you.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 06 November 2012 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-18

Now that I have changed the title to suit my many questions…lol

Sickle…I always save pages and video’s and what not on the off chance I lose the net, that way I always have access to the tutorials, and I save them to disk.  By and by it’s always nice to ask the person who’s information you want to save.

I have two new questions.

#1 I bought a rather large mega pack of poses from Renderosity a few years ago and thought how nice it would be if they worked on Genesis.  I know there is a product here I can buy that fixes that whole Gen4 to Genesis problem for poses, but I can’t afford that right now.  Is it legal to recreate those poses for Genesis?  I would not be applying the pose and then tweaking, I would have an image and simply load Genesis and try to pose it the same way and save it.

#2 I am trying to find a post or something that explains all the file paths for the latest Daz 4.5 I am asking due to having to uninstall and reinstall Daz because the folder system went haywire.  I have most the files cleared out and using a program from microsoft that will hunt down anything that remains, including what’s in the registry.  The other reason is a morph I downloaded from ShareCG and the artist did not give file paths in the readme, as well as not having the folders set up properly that I usually follow to install manually.  I want to make sure when I reinstall the program that everything goes where it’s suppose to and that when I manually install content, I put them in the right place.  I have been getting confused about where to put stuff from what I have read so far.  I keep reading about how there is a difference in placement between Daz and Poser and how they can’t share the same folder (despite both being in My Library) that some goes in content and some in runtime (even though both content and runtime are in content), as well as the difference between old and new Daz content and then old and new Poser content.  It’s a safe bet I am utterly confused at the moment (might be cause I am taking in too much information…lol)..

Any help with these two questions would be good.  I can still work in my clothes in Hex but need Daz to check it out and make sure everything works alright.

OOOOPs…forgot something.  When I was searching the files to see what format they contained, I came across one that had DSON files in it.  Now since I like to keep things neat and clean and those files are for Poser users, can I delete them?

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3420
Joined  2007-06-22

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/oxygen

Poses made for other figures do work on genesis but need to be tweaked to look right.
The gen3 poses actually seem to work a bit better than the gen4 poses.

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Here’s what I use.  http://www.sharecg.com/v/60135/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-V4-pose-adjust-script

I’ve got a custom action for it to ctrl+q because I use it so much (I love Structure’s free poses from Rendo, you see).  It’s not perfect but it really helps a lot.

EDIT for additional info: Yes, if you don’t have PP2012 or P9 you can delete the DSON files.  You can install everything to your DS4 My Library, because that will contain a Runtime folder.  If you map to that folder in Poser your Poser content shows up just fine.  I have around four runtimes, not the most efficient way, but both PP2012 and DS4 can find them all.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 06 November 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3055
Joined  2004-10-25
SickleYield - 05 November 2012 06:05 PM

Let’s see, where’s that old skirt tutorial in the archive?  Aha.  Here it is.

Bookmarked, as I too use Blender.  wink

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 06 November 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-18

I am reinstalling Daz since the folder placements were messed up. Didn’t install correctly for some reason and now I think I know why.

When it comes to installing the Essentials and I read you are to install the default method, the file path is not to my library.  Check image to see what I mean.  Should I use the custom install instead and make sure it goes to Documents….My Library so everything installs there?

Image Attachments
Installation_Path.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

They should go where your DAZ install is.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 06 November 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-18

What do you mean by where Daz is installed?  In the last couple of years, with each upgrade, I find files all over my computer, makes it bloody mess to clean out when I uninstall.  When I installed this time I let it install to the same place as always…it installs to Programs (86) and the My Library is under Documents.  The two images below will explain what I mean and what I need to know is..do I let the Essentials install to the default settings which gives the path in the image above or do I use custom install and direct it to My Library?

Image Attachments
Documents_Installation.jpgC_Drive_Files.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-18

I should explain that the only thing in the my library folder right now is the script folder you see listed.  There is no runtime folder or content folder or such anywhere in those two places.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

You need to install it to My Library.  Never, ever assume the default location in the installer is the correct one.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

1 of 2