2 of 3
Daz Studio, Poser, Genesis…
Posted: 06 November 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  863
Joined  2005-11-06
Slide3D - 05 November 2012 09:01 AM

I certainly support the aspirations Daz make a better product
but in the aspirations they have missed the other side of the user requirements for ease of use of the program and obtain pleasing results

I disagree, just seems so many shrug off one app or the other based on pure speculation or from what they read from others without ever trying and learning.. I used to be poser only and now I mainly use DS4,5 with genesis, simply because it works for my workflow and saves me time, hassle and having to use other plugins or apps outside the program like I did with poser and ww or morphing clothes. Having serious time with both apps, each has their pros and cons. DAZ did the right thing with genesis tech, if you are upset it doesn’t work like you want it to in poser, then get out of your comfort zone and learn something new, it ‘s not rocket science.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 06 November 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

G is usable in Poser-for the most part. I agree with Satira on the clothing. I only discovered through experimentation that it is best to add all clothing that will need fitting-BEFORE transferring active morphs. Like she said- when you select transfer active morphs- it goes through all characters and clothing, can take a few minutes-and sometimes messes up previous clothing items.
I do prefer V4-WM to Genesis female-I just think it looks better.

FSMCDesigns - 06 November 2012 08:48 AM
Slide3D - 05 November 2012 09:01 AM

I certainly support the aspirations Daz make a better product
but in the aspirations they have missed the other side of the user requirements for ease of use of the program and obtain pleasing results

I disagree, just seems so many shrug off one app or the other based on pure speculation or from what they read from others without ever trying and learning.. I used to be poser only and now I mainly use DS4,5 with genesis, simply because it works for my workflow and saves me time, hassle and having to use other plugins or apps outside the program like I did with poser and ww or morphing clothes. Having serious time with both apps, each has their pros and cons. DAZ did the right thing with genesis tech, if you are upset it doesn’t work like you want it to in poser, then get out of your comfort zone and learn something new, it ‘s not rocket science.

Posted: 06 November 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
Eric Walters - 06 November 2012 07:52 PM

I hated Genesis Female and went back to OLD SCHOOL V4. But then I upgraded to Genesis ++ and I think she looks best. What is Gensis ++ you say? Pretty much anything past the basics really. Genesis Female is limited, but after you add your preferred morphs she is a real hottie.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4910
Joined  2009-02-26

Are you talking about evolution?

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Spyro - 06 November 2012 09:01 PM

Are you talking about evolution?

Me in particular? Well I got the pro bundle so all those morphs came together, so V5 and Evolution are all a blur as to what comes with what. And I got a bunch of free morphs around same time too so hard to tell.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2745
Joined  2004-04-25
larsmidnatt - 06 November 2012 08:27 PM

I hated Genesis Female and went back to OLD SCHOOL V4. But then I upgraded to Genesis ++ and I think she looks best. What is Gensis ++ you say? Pretty much anything past the basics really. Genesis Female is limited, but after you add your preferred morphs she is a real hottie.

Genesis ++?  You’ve lost me.  Or do you mean V5?

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2003-10-09
Zaarin - 05 November 2012 01:09 PM

I think you way overestimate Poser’s dependence on DAZ, as Anastasia, Tyler, Miki, Antonia, My Michelle, etc. show, any one of which is just as good or better than Genesis, IMO.

Anastasia and Tyler are character morphs of existing Poser figures, not stand alone figures.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 06 November 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
icprncss - 06 November 2012 10:18 PM
larsmidnatt - 06 November 2012 08:27 PM

Genesis ++?  You’ve lost me.  Or do you mean V5?

I was joking not meaning to confuse at all. But V5 is optional, I barely used her for a long time. I mostly used other morphs I had. Frankly V5’s shapes do nothing for me, but she does come with some useful morphs.

All in all I was saying basic Genesis Female is weak, just like V4 was. V4 with morphs ++ and/or elite shapes was awesome. Genesis with the body resource kit, some free morphs like Dietryings and/or V5/S5 make for a great figure.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4910
Joined  2009-02-26

Man those Body resource kits are freakin awesome! Die Tryings is another must have… I also love Genesis evolution packs (All of them) My only grudge with evolution morphs is that most clothing for genesis doesn’t support Masculinity… which causes issues with clothing fits.  Evolution morphs are pretty much M4 and V4 Morphs++ (Though, unfortunately it was selective, and not all the morphs in Morphs++ were included in Evolution)

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 07 November 2012 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1786
Joined  2005-12-31

most of the members are formed on the Poser interface

That has not been true for a long time now. The Studio/Poser market was near a 50/50 split several years ago and DAZ has been far more aggressive about getting totally new users to Studio than Poser has in the years since.

Posted: 07 November 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19

The “was DAZ right to launch Genesis as Studio only” question ignores a major issue: at the point of launch, Poser was incapable of supporting Genesis, while Studio 4 was designed to do just that. It wasn’t until Poser got its app interface a few months back that it became possible to develop the DSON plugin.

The Studio userbase on its own was clearly capable of supporting Genesis - the PAs wouldn’t be throwing out Genesis figures and outfits if it wasn’t, so commercially the decision was clearly viable, and that’s really all that matters.

Posted: 07 November 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14272
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 06 November 2012 05:47 AM

Not another round of App Wars please.

Since it was lost at the foot of the last page.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 07 November 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2004-08-04

Cool. I see two of my favorite artists talking in this one. Slide and Midnight. I use your products for professional projects. Thank you for supporting M4/V4.

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11175
Joined  2007-11-06

..as many know I was very skeptical about Studio4.x and Genesis.  For one I work on an older system which barely meets the the minimal requirements for 4.x. This is the first time I have experienced crashes of the app when I wasn’t rendering (due to OpenGL issues). 

I ended up getting PP2010 as it seemed to be a bit “gentler” on my old system.  It also allowed me to render in background (using the queue manager) which saved precious memory and processor resources.

However didn’t have weight mapping and was still dealing with the joint issues.

Then I decided to give 4.5 pro a try.  Seems a few of the OpenGL issues were taken care of as it wasn’t as sluggish as 4.0.  Also the new version of 3Delight is really fast (as long as one doesn’t use IBL with a lot of raytracing).  Renders using the standard Daz lights and mapped shadows often completed within a minute thirty or less (which in 3Advanced took anywhere from fifteen to twenty). I’ve also had fewer render crashes even when using IBL and raytracing (just that it is slow as molasses in a Siberian winter).

It also appears that the memory management issues that plagued 3Advanced and the early releases of 4.x have been dealt with.

What sold me on Genesis is the GenerationX plugin and the ability to mix various body shapes including toon characters.  With the Gen4 and Gen3 body shapes I could use all the morph sets and characters already in my runtime with the benefit of improved joint bending offered by weight mapping.  I even successfully created a weight mapped version of Steph4 (though not sure what to do with her as she apparently doesn’t like most texture maps other than the basic V4/S4 ones, or character morph sets due to the geometry change).

The Transfer Utility is a marked improvement over the original Autofit. Along with Collision Detection and Smoothing, it makes clothing fits so much easier to deal with.

While I still need to be careful to not make large adjustments in the morph sliders or quick changes in camera position (which usually results in the viewport blanking out due to the OpenGL support issue) and am not able to do a really “loaded” scene, I am still admittedly impressed with 4.5. 

It would be nice if there was a Queue Manager/Render in Background option like Poser Pro has, as well as a the ability to pause/resume rendering (like Reality/Lux has).  As long as Daz Studio does not have these additional render choices and user defined dynamics, Poser/PoserPro will still have an important place in the toolbox.

It still is more of a case that both have their advantages and disadvantages and in a sense, still complement each other.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 08 November 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2004-01-19

well ... let’s leave the software wars
and talk exclusively about Genesis
I have long intended to do something for him (if my products interested Daz3D market Management) )
what is missing in the existing product range?
for example what could interest those who have not decided to move from Gen4 to using Genesis

Signature 

Slide3D VAULT RUSTLER in Daz Store
Slide3D FRANCESCA Character
MY DAZ3D STORE
MY RENDO STORE
My DA page

2 of 3