Digital Art Zone

4 of 20
Official MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update May 19th 2013: GSO shader additional bugfix! [Commercial]
Posted: 07 November 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  795
Joined  2004-05-14
BishounenTaurus - 07 November 2012 02:53 PM

Good news everyone, you can now download freebie lights and render settings from the first post of this topic! Freebie Pack 1 contains 5 Light presets, and 4 Render Settings presets (and 1 Studio Default preset). The Render Settings include Low Quality, Medium Quality, Superior Quality, and Ultimate Quality.

Be sure to check out the first post to download them!

Great. Thanks for make them available.

Posted: 07 November 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  678
Joined  2004-11-12

I’m happy to see the first ever product review for Manga Style! I wish I could link to the website, but there is adult content on there (including an advert for M5xM5 Deep Love poses), so you’re going to have to Google “いろは雑記” instead. ^^”

It makes me happy to see user reviews, especially those that aim to make it more accessible to more users (in this case Japanese users). :D

Posted: 07 November 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2005-01-31

Hi, I am loving these shaders, are really easy to use and awesome results. But I have a question, is there some way to make a clean render? I mean that the screentoned shadows become a plain colour, it would be cool to achive a clean manga style , more stylized. So far I tried a lot of things but I couldnt achieve, i even tried to make a new texture for the patterns of the screentones, creating plain colours, but the results were awful, like washed pictures.

Just to make an idea, I would like to achieve a result like this: http://www.spraygraphic.com/storage2/member_files/8259/picture/600_725f7941a4ca84a4face6e6c201990a1.jpg

It’s just a random image from internet.

But anyways so far i am enjoying a lot the shaders. Also a trick that I think u achieve the best results is by settings no lights at all.
Here is an example I achievied in just 5 min. and rendered in 30 seconds:

Image Attachments
mangatest.jpg

Posted: 07 November 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-12

Hello Xdye. The main point behind Manga Style is to recreate the screentoned look of printed black and white manga. If you would prefer flat grey tones, you would be better off using a normal toon shader like pwToon or Visual Style and simply using shades of grey* rather than colours.

*I recommend about 50 of them.

Btw, that is a lovely render.

EDIT: Thinking about it though, you could use the Colour paramaters (under the screentone parameters). They change the colour of the actual screentone effect (nessecary for pop art renders). If you set all the shadows to black, then used grey shades in the Colour parameters, you might be able to get something close to what you’re looking for.

Posted: 07 November 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2005-01-31

Woa fast answer, I don’t think I can acihve the same results with that shaders, They always seems to lose lot of detail. This manga style shader is just perfect, but it would be nice a preset to achieve plain colors, it would feel still like draw with a pencil, the same exact picture bit without the dots. Is just impossible?

Posted: 07 November 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-12
Xdye - 07 November 2012 07:44 PM

Woa fast answer, I don’t think I can acihve the same results with that shaders, They always seems to lose lot of detail. This manga style shader is just perfect, but it would be nice a preset to achieve plain colors, it would feel still like draw with a pencil, the same exact picture bit without the dots. Is just impossible?

I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking for now. The example picture you showed didn’t look like it was drawn in pencil.

You could try using the 300 size preset. That will make the dots incredibly small, which might make it look more like paper grain than screentone.

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2007-10-01
BishounenTaurus - 06 November 2012 12:29 PM

Anyways, like I said, the first step-by-step guide is finished, but it requires the first Manga Style bug-fix update that hasn’t made it past QA yet. Once the update is out, i’ll then release the step-by-step guide, does that sound good? :D

Yes, it does, I just purchased these for a graphic novel I am working on and after playing with it some, I think I fall into the category of needing a step by step guide.

Thanks!

Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-12

Well, hopefully the update will be released soon, at which point I can release the step-by-step guide.

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-05-14

While I wait for the how to guides, I have rendered Hiro5 with Manga Style Shaders.

Image Attachments
Hiro5mix01sc02pic01g1.jpg

Posted: 08 November 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-12

Nice, an interesting combination of both the Manga and Golden Age presets. :D

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-05-14

Thanks. Below is a close up render of Hiro 5.
What material will be the best for the teeth, when using Manga Style shaders on Genesis?

Image Attachments
Hiro5mix01sc03pic04.jpg

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-12

There’s one of two things you can do. You could either use one of the Basic Manga presets, or you could not apply Manga Style to them at all and instead use a white Ambient at 100%.

I tend to do the latter, as anime teeth rarely have shading on them.

Oh, and another thing. Both Hiro 5 and Hitomi come with Teeth Smoothing morphs, so if you do decide to use the Basic Manga preset, those morphs should help make the teeth appear a tad more subtle.

Posted: 08 November 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  464
Joined  2007-10-01

Yes!

These are the cartoon shaders I have been hoping for, for a long time. My slow brain seems to understand these much better than some of the others I have tried. The thing is that I don’t have to fight for the consistent results as much.

Here’s my latest try:

Image Attachments
Cyborg_Model_4_-_Cartoon.jpg
 Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 08 November 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-12

Brilliant render. Did you make the grey presets yourself? I only ask because I don’t recall including any flat grey tones…

Posted: 08 November 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-05-14
BishounenTaurus - 08 November 2012 12:33 PM

There’s one of two things you can do. You could either use one of the Basic Manga presets, or you could not apply Manga Style to them at all and instead use a white Ambient at 100%.

I tend to do the latter, as anime teeth rarely have shading on them.

Oh, and another thing. Both Hiro 5 and Hitomi come with Teeth Smoothing morphs, so if you do decide to use the Basic Manga preset, those morphs should help make the teeth appear a tad more subtle.

Thanks for the nice tips. I will try them myself.

4 of 20