WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, November, 2012
Posted: 18 November 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24
HI Bluemoon smile

that's looking nice.

If you're using Carrara 8, there should be some example shaders included in the "Native content" installer, which are good examples of shader settings.
You can start with one of those and adjust it to whatever you need, and then save it back into your own shader library.

For the Metal shaders, there's a special "lighting model" in the Top level of the shader,. called "Anisotropic" which is for metals, and gives it that streaked highlight. (see pic)

For Chrome,. set the diffuse colour to black, or none,.. and set the reflection to a "value (0-100)" and set that to 100.

For reflections,. you can use a Map (any image), or an HDRI (High Dynamic Range Image) in the " Scene / Background " to provide either just a reflection, or scene lighting and reflections.
In the Renderer options, if you enable Skylight, then the HDRI can be used to illuminate your scene, and provide a source for reflections on objects.

If you don't want the BackGround to show in your final render, and you only want the reflections,. you can use an image in the Scene / BackDrop, which will fit into the camera view, and render out in your image, but won't provide any reflections or shadows.
or you can render to an image format which supports Alpha channel, like PSD or PNG.

If you need more info, advice or answers, jump into the carrara forum,
....I don't want to clutter this thread with examples of shader settings smile
Image Attachments
chrome_metal.jpg

Posted: 18 November 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2012-03-27
bluemoon - 18 November 2012 03:01 AM
Having a bit of trouble getting the metal and glass looking how I want but overall happy with the progress.

Nice job blue. The background is beautiful.

Changes made( don't know if they are visible ) Played with the lights and the surface tab mostly reflection and ambient for starters.

New version below the previous.
[ Edited: 19 November 2012 03:32 PM by Ilena52 ]
Image Attachments
valjda_valja.pngpozadina_nova.png
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 19 November 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1317
Joined  2010-03-01
Ilena52 - 18 November 2012 11:04 AM
Having a bit of trouble getting the metal and glass looking how I want but overall happy with the progress.

Changes made( don't know if they are visible ) Played with the lights and the surface tab mostly reflection and ambient for starters.

That is much better. I like the horse being added. Kind of sets the tone of a more rural nature.

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2003-10-09
Ilena52, i think you still need a tad more light on the dancer, looking good though

Posted: 20 November 2012 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Ilena52 - 18 November 2012 11:04 AM

Thanks Ilena, I am having troubles with my character now and will take 3DAGEs advice and ask about them in the Carrara Forum.
Image Attachments
Doc1.png

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2011-02-17
Taking a break in the park to enjoy the changing colors of autumn leaves. Thinking about the days when Santas weren’t in the stores before Halloween day. Back when the whole month of November meant Thanksgiving. The days when we made pictures of turkeys by tracing our hands.

This is the idea I’m working on. The woman on the park bench is reminiscing about the happiest memories related to Thanksgiving. The girl drawing behind the coffee table is what’s on her mind, her childhood. The picture in her mind will be lightened to become a faint image in post work. It’ll also be enlarged so you will be able to see her as a child drawing turkeys.

Image Attachments
z04.jpg
 Signature 

Daz Gallery

Posted: 22 November 2012 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-07
Have made lots of changes and with the help of 3DAGE have learned a lot about Carrara. Still lots of things to fix, hope I finish it in time.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my progress and and things you feel need a bit of a fix.
Image Attachments
Doc1.jpg

Posted: 22 November 2012 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15583
Joined  2003-10-09
I am totally impressed.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 22 November 2012 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-07
chohole - 22 November 2012 06:19 AM
I am totally impressed.

Thank you chohole

Posted: 22 November 2012 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14
Love the old dirty look...so much more real than a shiney new car.

My only suggestion is to do with the composition. Moving the camera toward the right more so that the wheel is not cut short will put the main subject in the right place but I am being picky. smile
Image Attachments
Doc1.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 22 November 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-07
Szark - 22 November 2012 06:39 AM
Love the old dirty look...so much more real than a shiney new car.

My only suggestion is to do with the composition. Moving the camera toward the right more so that the wheel is not cut short will put the main subject in the right place but I am being picky. smile

No, you're not being picky. I forget exactly why I put the camera there for this render, think it was to hide something that needs fixing.red face

Will have another look tomorrow, need some sleep now and thanks for the feedback.

Posted: 22 November 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2012-03-06
llena52 - Progressing nicely.

Bluemoon - Love the camera angle and background.

Mr Leong - Your render of a kid drawing reminded me that kids usually draw people either in a full front view or in a full side view. But seeing both the front and side view at the same time adds dimension. This is accomplished when people are viewed diagonally.

If you’re trying to accomplish what I think you are based on your description, then a good way to show people thinking and what they are thinking about is with a low camera pointing upward (worm view) at the face.

Focusing on the face will also be consistent with what LycanthropeX wrote in post #29 about the tendency of incorrectly doing very wide shots for images.
Image Attachments
4_Faces.JPG
 Signature 

The Cashew Gallery (PG-13)

Posted: 22 November 2012 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-07
I think this might be finished and I am really happy how it has turned out. Thanks to everyone for the advice and a big thanks to 3DAGE 'cause halfway through I was ready to hide it at the bottom of my too hard basket.

I did some postwork in Photoshop so here are the before and after versions.
Image Attachments
AutumnScene1.jpgAutumnScene2.jpg

Posted: 23 November 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17
Stunning!
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 23 November 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14
bluemoon amazing.... Yes you did all the work but you listened to the advice given by 3Dage etc and you used that info extrememly well, you should be very proud of this image...I would be if it was mine. I really like the postworked version better.
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

5 of 10