Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Modo 601 or C4D R14 to render Daz and Poser models?
Posted: 12 February 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-06-09

dustrider, I really love Carrara. I have been experimenting with skin shaders for a week and am getting there.
My aim is to produce realistic looking characters with beautiful backgrounds/scenes.
I just bought the new quad-core i5 27” iMac to speed up my renders.
I use Carrara everyday for my work and it rocks but for modelling props and stuff / UV mapping I thinking its difficult in Carrara as the toolset is limited.

Posted: 12 February 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-05-22
londonmarlo - 12 February 2013 10:00 PM

dustrider, I really love Carrara. I have been experimenting with skin shaders for a week and am getting there.
My aim is to produce realistic looking characters with beautiful backgrounds/scenes.
I use Carrara everyday for my work and it rocks but for modelling props and stuff / UV mapping I thinking its difficult in Carrara as the toolset is limited.

londonmario, whichever tool you use ( Modo 601 or C4D R14 ) the quality of your renders depends a lot about the lighting!  I got some Carrara 8.5 and even DAZ Studio 4.5 renders that look like they were done in Maya or 3D Studio Max and without the $4000 price tag.  Basically it is all about the lighting!  Either I got lucky with the placement of the lighting or just took the time to get it right!  Just my 2 cents! If the rendering it taking too long, for the $4000 you can but a few more machines and use the additional rendernodes to increase the speed.  wink

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

Curved Design, I totally agree with you about lighting being a vital aspect of creating a good render.
Being a Professional Photographer, I experiment with lighting setups in the real world.
But I think creating good Textures and shaders is also vital to achieving realism look.
I know LuxRender is a physically based and unbiased rendering engine reflecting real world physics of lighting.
How do you think Carrara’s render engine compares?
Do you have a website or galley where I can view your work?

Posted: 13 February 2013 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2008-05-23
londonmarlo - 02 November 2012 01:19 PM

Is anyone using either of the programs for rendering daz and poser content?
Which is better to use regarding easy importing and re-texturing the models.
I have looked at both but am undecided. I love Modo’s UI and tools.
I also love the new features of Cinema 4D R14’s camera and composition aids.
I am learning After Effects for compositing and visual effects and C4D seems to play well with it.
But theres something about Modo that is very appealing.
Would anyone with experience like to share their opinions?

I’m fairly new to Modo, lots of great tools, but not so easy to get Daz or Poser items If you google “Modo Poser Conten”, you should get a link to a video (http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=36&t=16248)

Not sure if I embeded the link correctly here it is in plain text

http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=36&t=16248

That said, I love Carrara.  I very seldom open Studio or Poser anymore, if I do it is to get something into Carrara.  For example, a full scene preload that uses a python scrip, I open it in poser, save as a scene and open that in Carrara.  Even an older render engine can give great results once you learn the lighting and tweeking of the shader.

ncamp

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2004-10-05

hello! I use professionally the 3 soft; modo 601, C8pro, and , but with some limitations,cine 4d14… effectively, modo has a fine render, but mostly in global illumionation… I mean, I use C8 as soon as I need a directional, movie-style lighting… cine 4d has a more “smooth”, too smooth often, render…
    modo is complicated with import export, and the fur engine is a nightmare… Cine 4d is ok with the import export, and has really good features, but once again the Advanced render don’t do often what I want, unlike C8…
when it become obvious that daz don’t do anything on Carrara, I wanted to move to another soft… But I must admit that I do, to day, half of my assignments in C8 pro, 40% in modo (packaging renders), and 10 % in cine 4d..
Modo is very problematic with heavy meshes, so be sure to do a retopology, if you modify the poser meshes in zbrush… if not, modo will crash very often… Cine 4d is solid, no problems…
of course, it’s just my practice…
    just if you want an example, here is thge same scene, rendered in modo and cine 4d.. I didn’t do a Carrara 8 version…

Image Attachments
barbecine4d.jpgbarbemodo.jpg

Posted: 13 February 2013 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

ncamp, celmar, Thank You very much for your input.
The Modo render seems to be more sharp and defined. Looks like C4d render has depth of field enabled.
I’m eagerly waiting for Carrara 9.

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2004-11-12
Curved Design - 12 February 2013 10:58 PM
londonmarlo - 12 February 2013 10:00 PM

londonmario, whichever tool you use ( Modo 601 or C4D R14 ) the quality of your renders depends a lot about the lighting!  I got some Carrara 8.5 and even DAZ Studio 4.5 renders that look like they were done in Maya or 3D Studio Max and without the $4000 price tag.  Basically it is all about the lighting!  Either I got lucky with the placement of the lighting or just took the time to get it right!  Just my 2 cents! If the rendering it taking too long, for the $4000 you can but a few more machines and use the additional rendernodes to increase the speed.  wink

I haven’t really tried C4D or any of the other more expensive options in quite a while, mainly because I really prefer Carrara, and can’t justify those high end price tags. Lighting and materials in Carrara have always been easier for me than in other software.

Lately I’ve been using DS more than I used to, and working on figuring out lights and materials in it. I’ve also started playing around a bit with Reality/Lux. Right now, I still prefer the results I’m getting in Carrara and DS over Lux, but that is more of a stupid user issue than anything else. Lighting in Lux is just about as easy as in Carrara, but the render times are really slow compared to Carrara.

I’ve been slowly working on getting better skin results with SSS in Carrara, DS and Lux, I’m getting better, but still not quite where I want to be. I’m working in all three at the same time mainly because I’m working on a character set that I want to include Carrara, DS, Reality/Lux, and Poser shaders for (I haven’t started with Poser yet). Even if I never get to the point that I feel comfortable releasing the character set to the masses, I’m really learning a lot!

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 13 February 2013 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

dustrider, I’ve been looking at how the skin shaders for M4 Elite Sol and V4 Elite Lana are put together. They both have Carrara specific shaders that use SSS.
This is a good starting point to further tweak them according to your preference.

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2004-11-12
londonmarlo - 13 February 2013 04:02 PM

dustrider, I’ve been looking at how the skin shaders for M4 Elite Sol and V4 Elite Lana are put together. They both have Carrara specific shaders that use SSS.
This is a good starting point to further tweak them according to your preference.

I’m far from being an expert, with that in mind, Lana would be a good starting point to to begin with, I’ve had good results with Maya Elite too, but any of the elite sets with Carrara shaders will work well as a starting point (you’ll want to use the GI version). I don’t have any of the M4 Elites, but Sol should also be a good starting point. I’ve been working in DS and Reality/Lux lately, so I don’t remember a lot of the specifics off of the top of my head to help out with additional settings, but typically the settings that give you the best results can vary quite a bit depending on the lighting used. You should also have a light set that came with the textures which are a good resource to aid in understanding the light settings used with the Carrara promos.

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

The thing I’ve been doing for the past few days is writing down every single setting from the different shading domains such as SkinHip, SkinTorso etc and cataloging it as reference ( M4 Hi Res, V4.2 Hi Res, M4 Elite Sol and V4 Elite Lana).  Its quite time consuming but gives you a very deep insight as to how the shaders vary and how it renders using the same light setup. For me getting the SSS setting correct is important and its by changing the settings, doing renders and analysing them that I can understand what a particular setting does. The eyes are the hardest to make look realistic but I think i will cheat a little by painting over them in Photoshop.

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2007-12-04

One of the best explanations of all time is included in a Free Product: Indigone’s V4 Skin Shader Kit and Lights, which includes an amazing tutorial, beautiful generic skin shaders that work for any figure period… not just V4 or even Daz Figures, for that matter. Anything. And then she includes a light rig that she spent a long time to perfect for deep shadows. Really worth getting an account at ShareCG if you haven’t got one yet. If you follow my lead and get that kit (which I suggest to everyone who owns Carrara), you should also pick up her Endless Eyes Kit Again, she says it’s for V4 - but there aren’t any figure-specific maps in either pack.

Cripeman has a great tutorial SSS vs Glow

You should also check out Cripeman’s Global Illumination Introduction, You’re guaranteed to love it!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

Dartanbeck, Thank you. Will definitely check it out.
This is a screen shot of how I catalogue all the shader settings.

Image Attachments
SkinHip.png

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2007-12-04
londonmarlo - 14 February 2013 11:26 AM

Dartanbeck, Thank you. Will definitely check it out.
This is a screen shot of how I catalogue all the shader settings.

That’s cool. What do you do that in? Nice flow chart

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-09

First I started using OmniOutliner and spent days writing settings down but it was difficult to read. Then I came across a fantastic software called “Tree”.

http://www.topoftree.jp/en/tree/

It was just what I had been looking for.
I love this software because it took 20 minutes to learn and its so useful and functional.

Tree, Horizontally expanding outliner.
Tree is an outliner featuring a horizontally expandable tree view.

Tree assists you in organizing your information, sketching plans and brainstorming new ideas. Tree allows you to store your ideas and keywords in segments that you can sort, re-arrange and constantly refine. Tree is designed to be a lightweight application that lets you concentrate on your ideas.

Posted: 14 February 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2009-07-05

Hello everybody.
I have poser pro 2012, and this import collada
C4D exports collada.
then this would be one solution to bring rigg of c4d models for poser without the immense work of remaking everything?
and then you import that model into poser I can animate it using animation tool poser?

Signature 

Casemod AKASA Eclipse 62 / intel i7 2600 / Asrock Z77 Pro3 / GTX titan /  Ram: 4x 8GB, Corsair XMS3 DDR3 = (32Gb) / 120GB Sandisk SSD / HDD 7200rpm 1T / CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900 LED blue / Power suply Corsair CX 750w (80 plus bronze)

2 of 3