Digital Art Zone

3 of 6
Question - M4 to M5 texture converting (Re-used for Shader&Surfaceing; Questions)
Posted: 01 November 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4955
Joined  2009-02-26

Do it one at a time, and it works like a charm! I’m ecstatic! lol

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Okay… I’ll back track just a little, there is still a bit of issue with fragments and occasional warping… The face concerted perfectly! but the back of the head… Not so good.. I will need to review the tutorial some more, there must be something I’ve done wrong.

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8142
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah Zev0 mentioned that some seams may need adjusting manually.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

I see now… that’s what it is. I just loaded it in photoshop with a cut out texture and It’s not as bad as I thought. Minor tweaking on the seams and it’ll be fine! smile

Cheers smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Good to hear Spyro.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 01 November 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3462
Joined  2009-08-05

Either way it beats warping in photoshop..you loose texture quality that way.. Glad It works for you:). It is a real time saver..

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 01 November 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Definitely! Thanks for your help! cheese

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3462
Joined  2009-08-05

anytime…:)

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 01 November 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4449
Joined  2011-11-25
Spyro - 01 November 2012 10:46 AM

@Serene

Both HSS an US2 are the best shaders to use on your characters! I have not turned back ever since I first gave them a go! And you can use them on ANYTHING!

I admit total ignorance, as I haven’t used these successfully yet. But if you like them Spyro, then I’m sure I will too… I will see if I can find a tutorial somewhere. Thanks for the rec.

Posted: 01 November 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1265
Joined  2009-01-09
SereneNight - 01 November 2012 02:18 PM

@Serene

Both HSS an US2 are the best shaders to use on your characters! I have not turned back ever since I first gave them a go! And you can use them on ANYTHING!

I admit total ignorance, as I haven’t used these successfully yet. But if you like them Spyro, then I’m sure I will too… I will see if I can find a tutorial somewhere. Thanks for the rec.

SereneNight, I found this tutorial by RawArt helpful in understanding what it is that HSS/Ubersurface2 actually do, at least in regard to humanoid textures. Pay attention as well to the comment thread, there’s a lot of useful discussion in there. (HSS/Elite HSS is a subset of Ubersurface, by the by.) The tutorial specifically addresses subsurface scattering, but the comments thread helps broaden that into a discussion of other aspects that the shader works with.

It’s also helpful, after you’ve looked at that, to look at a texture that uses HSS/Ubersurface to see exactly what’s happening. You can even save those settings as Shader Presets (once you remove the textures from a surface section) to use on similar textures as a starting point.

Also, Alanscape was looking at some aspects of Ubersurface in his Art Studio thread here in the forum.

(With regard to hair and other surfaces, I tend to use HSS/Ubersurface primarily to make those surfaces invisible to UberEnvironment, so that my renders don’t take forever. That’s not their only, or even primary, intended use for those surfaces, however.)

Hope this is useful information.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 01 November 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Good HSS or UberSurfaces tutorails are hard to come by well ones with correct info that is.

I have been meaning to do one myself but haven’t managed to find the time.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 01 November 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4449
Joined  2011-11-25
vwrangler - 01 November 2012 02:56 PM
SereneNight - 01 November 2012 02:18 PM

@Serene

SereneNight, I found this tutorial by RawArt helpful in understanding what it is that HSS/Ubersurface2 actually do, at least in regard to humanoid textures. Pay attention as well to the comment thread, there’s a lot of useful discussion in there. (HSS/Elite HSS is a subset of Ubersurface, by the by.) The tutorial specifically addresses subsurface scattering, but the comments thread helps broaden that into a discussion of other aspects that the shader works with.

It’s also helpful, after you’ve looked at that, to look at a texture that uses HSS/Ubersurface to see exactly what’s happening. You can even save those settings as Shader Presets (once you remove the textures from a surface section) to use on similar textures as a starting point.

Also, Alanscape was looking at some aspects of Ubersurface in his Art Studio thread here in the forum.

(With regard to hair and other surfaces, I tend to use HSS/Ubersurface primarily to make those surfaces invisible to UberEnvironment, so that my renders don’t take forever. That’s not their only, or even primary, intended use for those surfaces, however.)

Hope this is useful information.

Thanks for your help. I’m going to check these out. So much to learn how to do….. =-)

Posted: 02 November 2012 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

These are great! Thanks Vwrangler! And thanks Serene for raising the question! This is very helpful! And it would be good to learn how to make my shader settings a preset too! I’ve just been copying and pasting between characters lol

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Spyro - 02 November 2012 02:52 AM

These are great! Thanks Vwrangler! And thanks Serene for raising the question! This is very helpful! And it would be good to learn how to make my shader settings a preset too! I’ve just been copying and pasting between characters lol

All I do is Save As a material preset and bob’s your uncle. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Szark - 02 November 2012 04:25 AM
Spyro - 02 November 2012 02:52 AM

All I do is Save As a material preset and bob’s your uncle. smile

And I have to remove all textures for the material preset to be generic, Is that correct?

Signature 

3 of 6