Digital Art Zone

16 of 20
Welcome to the November 2012 Freebie Challenge!
Posted: 27 November 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2010-11-30
ZamuelNow - 27 November 2012 08:15 PM

You’re welcome, Lord Ganthor.  Outside of some entirely separate headaches I’ve been having with crashes and such, this contest wound up being somewhat difficult since my brain went into full tilt Serious Business mode which caused a bit of an artist’s block.  Figured that in the end, most inaccuracies could be noted as understandable given the resources.

With my entry, I made a bit of an update.  Changed the layout slightly, fixed clipping in a few places, and made small adjustments.  The watch was added to help with the “preparations” concept in that she’s not finished getting ready or perhaps this is a rehearsal.

Watch—Watch—http://www.inlitestudio.com/3D/3d_watch.html

Oh, I didn’t have those watches… Link checks out, entry still accepted.

ZamuelNow, could you update your earlier post (#211), please? That will prevent some judges looking at the older version of your entry and other judges looking at the newer version.

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge, or the RRRR, or one of the other contests. I think Jaderail would have wanted that.

Posted: 27 November 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  465
Joined  2003-11-30
Alexa Sears - 27 November 2012 07:17 PM

First of all: thank you for the compliment. smile  Secondly, this isn’t the render I wanted to do… I wanted to do the “Kennedy”-esque salute, but someone else beat me to it. Then, I wanted to do a render representing a piece from each of the American conflicts… But couldn’t find a Kentucky long rifle. So… I substituted a Baker hoping that no one would be able to tell the difference. Just pretend that it was a weapon taken from a British soldier during the War of 1812, and used heroically in battle. wink
Alexa :D

Well, your heart was in the right place! However…and I do this in all good sense of fun…the Baker rifle never made it over to the states! All of the British troops during the War of 1812 were still armed with Brown Bess muskets, just like they used during the Revolution. The reason I know this is because I wanted one for *my* 1812 impression and was promptly “shot down” with that information! I had to very sheepishly withdraw my request. However, for your future reference, try this: Mock’s Colonial Rifle

I used it for one of my June renders and it’s pretty accurate. It’s more of a Bess than a long rifle, but it suits the purpose.  Just in case you ever get the urge again. Still, over all, it doesn’t detract one bit from the render. Don’t pay any attention to this old historical nit-picker…

Posted: 27 November 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-11-30
robkelk - 27 November 2012 08:51 PM
ZamuelNow - 27 November 2012 08:15 PM

You’re welcome, Lord Ganthor.  Outside of some entirely separate headaches I’ve been having with crashes and such, this contest wound up being somewhat difficult since my brain went into full tilt Serious Business mode which caused a bit of an artist’s block.  Figured that in the end, most inaccuracies could be noted as understandable given the resources.

With my entry, I made a bit of an update.  Changed the layout slightly, fixed clipping in a few places, and made small adjustments.  The watch was added to help with the “preparations” concept in that she’s not finished getting ready or perhaps this is a rehearsal.

Watch—Watch—http://www.inlitestudio.com/3D/3d_watch.html

Oh, I didn’t have those watches… Link checks out, entry still accepted.

ZamuelNow, could you update your earlier post (#211), please? That will prevent some judges looking at the older version of your entry and other judges looking at the newer version.

Those are pretty cool watches! Thanks for the link. I’ve seen reenactors who should know better do that sort of thing. That and modern eyeglasses, fingernail polish, cell phones…the list is endless.

Posted: 27 November 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2010-11-30
Lord Ganthor - 27 November 2012 08:52 PM
Alexa Sears - 27 November 2012 07:17 PM

First of all: thank you for the compliment. smile  Secondly, this isn’t the render I wanted to do… I wanted to do the “Kennedy”-esque salute, but someone else beat me to it. Then, I wanted to do a render representing a piece from each of the American conflicts… But couldn’t find a Kentucky long rifle. So… I substituted a Baker hoping that no one would be able to tell the difference. Just pretend that it was a weapon taken from a British soldier during the War of 1812, and used heroically in battle. wink
Alexa :D

Well, your heart was in the right place! However…and I do this in all good sense of fun…the Baker rifle never made it over to the states! All of the British troops during the War of 1812 were still armed with Brown Bess muskets, just like they used during the Revolution. The reason I know this is because I wanted one for *my* 1812 impression and was promptly “shot down” with that information! I had to very sheepishly withdraw my request. However, for your future reference, try this: Mock’s Colonial Rifle

I used it for one of my June renders and it’s pretty accurate. It’s more of a Bess than a long rifle, but it suits the purpose.  Just in case you ever get the urge again. Still, over all, it doesn’t detract one bit from the render. Don’t pay any attention to this old historical nit-picker…

Well, Wikipedia claims there were Baker rifles used at the Battle of New Orleans and the Battle of the Alamo… but we all know how accurate Wikipedia is. Especially when (as in this case) there aren’t any inline citations.

(I have an early-morning meeting tomorrow and the forecast is for snow, so I’m logging off and hitting the sack. See you tomorrow evening…)

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge, or the RRRR, or one of the other contests. I think Jaderail would have wanted that.

Posted: 27 November 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1311
Joined  2010-03-01
robkelk - 27 November 2012 09:06 PM

(I have an early-morning meeting tomorrow and the forecast is for snow, so I’m logging off and hitting the sack. See you tomorrow evening…)

Snow ohh

Our low is suppose to be around 10 C and our high is 26 C. Dang! I am running around in shorts and a tee-shirt putting up Christmas lights.

Posted: 27 November 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5207
Joined  2005-04-16
Alexa Sears - 27 November 2012 06:35 PM

TITLE:  Deus Ex Memoriam

Alexa

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=35129_DjABb90m9xj7QSE5IIye&thumb=1&board_id=1

Very nice work!

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 28 November 2012 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-10-11

Interestingly, CBC Radio just aired a two-part radio special on the Spanish Civil War (concentrating on the Canadian volunteers). It’s still available on their website: http://www.cbc.ca/livingoutloud/episode/2012/11/09/the-spanish-crucible-with-interactive-timeline/

Nice link ! Thanks.

Well, I’ve tried to use ray-traced shadows and the result is a bit better but still the shadows do not show on the ground, I do not understand why…

Image Attachments
guadalajara1.png

Posted: 28 November 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-11-30

Well, Wikipedia claims there were Baker rifles used at the Battle of New Orleans and the Battle of the Alamo… but we all know how accurate Wikipedia is. Especially when (as in this case) there aren’t any inline citations.

Not to go horribly off topic here…oops! Too late! The Alamo? Hadn’t heard that one before. Bit of a hoot, there…okay…maybe. About a 2% chance as the Spanish were arming the Mexican army with surplus Brown Besses, but not likely. American forces with Bakers? Not likely again (though the idea of American militia with Bakers is an intriguing thought). And at New Orleans? Even more unlikely. The British forces in America were line troops. Baker rifles were usually (but not always) reserved for special units, like sharpshooters. Most of them were back home fighting ol’ Nappy. Wikipedia’s information is spotty at best and until I see some first account documentation I’ll continue to be a skeptic on the matter.

Snow? No thanks. I’d just as soon hold off on that as soon as possible. We’re prone to ice storms in this part of the country, so I’d rather have snow if given a choice.

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
Lord Ganthor - 28 November 2012 03:59 AM

Not to go horribly off topic here…oops! Too late! The Alamo? Hadn’t heard that one before. Bit of a hoot, there…okay…maybe. About a 2% chance as the Spanish were arming the Mexican army with surplus Brown Besses, but not likely. American forces with Bakers? Not likely again (though the idea of American militia with Bakers is an intriguing thought). And at New Orleans? Even more unlikely. The British forces in America were line troops. Baker rifles were usually (but not always) reserved for special units, like sharpshooters. Most of them were back home fighting ol’ Nappy. Wikipedia’s information is spotty at best and until I see some first account documentation I’ll continue to be a skeptic on the matter.

Snow? No thanks. I’d just as soon hold off on that as soon as possible. We’re prone to ice storms in this part of the country, so I’d rather have snow if given a choice.

Hmmm, tickled the little “I seem to remember…” itch:

from: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bbl17  the 3rd paragraph:

Both the Baker rifle and Brown Bess musket were British weapons sold to the Mexican army. The Baker, with a 30.5-inch barrel and a .615 to .625 caliber bore was issued to the cazadores (light infantry) and granaderos (grenadiers). In 1836 the San Luis Potosí, Matamoros, and Jiménez battalions had rifle companies and grenadiers, while the Aldama and Toluca battalions had only grenadiers. The cavalry carried Baker carbines with twenty-inch barrels. Excavators also picked up a lock plate and a hammer fragment for a pistol or small rifle, a pistol butt cap, trigger-guard fragments from the Brown Bess musket and Baker rifle, and two Brown Bess ramrod pipes.

from http://england.prm.ox.ac.uk/englishness-baker-rifle.html 7th paragrah from the bottom:

Baker Rifles were used by the 3 rd Battalion of the 95 th in the War of 1812 as well as at the Battle of New Orleans. Again by the 95 th who stood their ground at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  2003-11-24

So Alexa, as you can see who is debating which war the rifle was used in, it’s a guy thing, pay no attention to what they say, they can’t help themselves about it, my husband is the same way. Us lady’s don’t care about such details but guys do. Notice how none of us women give a hoot about which rifle you used. Take note for future date on that one.  LOL

Signature 

old post count 2826   ETO and all around crazy person

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15264
Joined  2003-10-09

Hey, I do too care.  Like Ganthor I used to do re-enactment, and we were very careful with details like that.  And I even hhad a story to back up the reason why I, as a female, could authentically dress as a Johnny Reb soldier, carrying an authentic replica gun.

I had a Remington revolving rifle, black powder, cap and ball. A fully working replica, proofed for live fire, although I admit I never did live fire it, only used blanks. But a friend did try his out live, and It put a whole through both sides of one of the sign boards in the Holiday camp we were “performing” at.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  2003-11-24

sorry cho, we women do tend to be passionate about guns too, just not quite as finicky as the guys are sometimes.

Signature 

old post count 2826   ETO and all around crazy person

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1311
Joined  2010-03-01
chohole - 28 November 2012 08:47 AM

Hey, I do too care.  Like Ganthor I used to do re-enactment, and we were very careful with details like that.  And I even hhad a story to back up the reason why I, as a female, could authentically dress as a Johnny Reb soldier, carrying an authentic replica gun.

I had a Remington revolving rifle, black powder, cap and ball. A fully working replica, proofed for live fire, although I admit I never did live fire it, only used blanks. But a friend did try his out live, and It put a whole through both sides of one of the sign boards in the Holiday camp we were “performing” at.

so do we have a “Belle” in our midst?

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15264
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes indeed, even If I am a brit, ACW reenactment was quite big over here for a long time.  I was mainly a soldier boy when we were doing battles, but if we did some of our indoor sketches, then I would be a Belle, and I did have some really beautiful “crinoline” dresses, even though say it myself. Mine had to be better than most, as at the time I was making money by making and selling them.

I do have a few photo’s somewhere, but unfortunately my scanner will not work with this new PC, so I need to get a new scanner before I can scan any in.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17
vivayo - 28 November 2012 02:33 AM

Interestingly, CBC Radio just aired a two-part radio special on the Spanish Civil War (concentrating on the Canadian volunteers). It’s still available on their website: http://www.cbc.ca/livingoutloud/episode/2012/11/09/the-spanish-crucible-with-interactive-timeline/

Nice link ! Thanks.

Well, I’ve tried to use ray-traced shadows and the result is a bit better but still the shadows do not show on the ground, I do not understand why…

Something’s borked with distant lights &skydomes;.  You can set the skydome to not cast shadows; but it’s still blocking the distant light from casting them on the scene.  one workaround is to do a multipass render (one with the skydome & one without).

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

16 of 20