Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
new daz 3d site
Posted: 31 May 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2010-03-11

why was the site modified? i like the old way much better.

Posted: 31 May 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

Eric

Join the club. I liked the old way better too.

The short answer is the site was difficult (supposedly) to maintain. The staff seemed to keep it running fairly well from what I can tell.

The decision was made to move from the custom made solution to a potentially more easy to manage “off the shelf” solution.

The Daz crew is working Non-stop to make this new site viable. Hopefully, they will succeed.

Best of luck!

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 31 May 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15925
Joined  2003-10-09

THe old site was falling to pieces, it was literally held together with string, bits of wire and lashings of duct tape. It was taking the web guys all their time to jkeep it functioning.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-05-09
chohole - 31 May 2012 02:46 PM

THe old site was falling to pieces, it was literally held together with string, bits of wire and lashings of duct tape. It was taking the web guys all their time to jkeep it functioning.

Another words,  they replaced a rusty, worn-out junky clunker with a shiny, brand new car.  That’s very nice, except they left out the lights, brakes, seats, and put the steering wheel in the trunk.

Signature 

An example is worth ten thousand words.

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  998
Joined  2012-01-29

As far as I can tell, strings, wire and duct tape seem to be a more powerful tool than brand new shiny Magento software… With them, store and forum was working, with Magento it does not. And what other job have web guys than to keep the site functioning? I thought that was what they are supposed to, it is their job description, no? What else would DAZ need them for?

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17
max v nimos - 31 May 2012 03:03 PM

Another words,  they replaced a rusty, worn-out junky clunker with a shiny, brand new car.  That’s very nice, except they left out the lights, brakes, seats, and put the steering wheel in the trunk.

No, they ordered a new car and when it was delivered some of the parts weren’t installed as promised.  The clunker’s engine blew up in the dealer’s parking lot and they had to take the new car as is and install the missing parts themselves.  However, overtime was mandated at work and they have to install the parts in the morning before showering for work and after midnight before going to bed.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8668
Joined  2007-11-06

Spending their full time holding it together (and at one point it took weeks to get some pending orders working) means they can’t ever spend time adding new features.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2003-10-09
Kendall Sears - 31 May 2012 03:09 PM
max v nimos - 31 May 2012 03:03 PM

No, they ordered a new car and when it was delivered some of the parts weren’t installed as promised.  The clunker’s engine blew up in the dealer’s parking lot and they had to take the new car as is and install the missing parts themselves.  However, overtime was mandated at work and they have to install the parts in the morning before showering for work and after midnight before going to bed.

Kendall

Ever hear of testing things before you implementing them???

Beta testing even?

I suspected that it was commercial package which is why a whole bunch of features which were great are no longer available.

It’s all backwards, computers and software are supposed to help us work easier, not force us to be slaves to some idiots who have no idea how the package is really meant to work for customers.

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7681
Joined  2006-03-19

Everything was tested. When it went live something went wrong, which does happen when dealing with store. I have personal experience with this, which is why we test live also.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-09-02

What the old website had that I really miss

You used to buy something and really liked it and out of my data base I can link back to the original products page…so I wonder what else this vendor-artist has and click on their name and get their other products which you might want to buy (no longer available)

As part of the buying decision is what other accessories or addons does this product have (no longer available)

You used to know how long a sale lasted or the fact you had to buy it by X date if you wanted the discount (no longer available))

You could set the page to show all the bloody details on one page, and not have to click on several tabs like you do now.

The design and functionality is a step backwards in my opinion
——
Why does it show somebody elses name after I log in, on the store page and show some crazy number that is not even close to what I have in my wishlist? When I click on the “not so and so” link it takes me to another page that shows me. Little bit scary when you have stored credit card data held by Daz and on certain pages it reports correctly and on others it doesn’t as to the identity of the person viewing the page.

Posted: 31 May 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  998
Joined  2012-01-29
Frank0314 - 31 May 2012 03:26 PM

Everything was tested. When it went live something went wrong, which does happen when dealing with store. I have personal experience with this, which is why we test live also.

Do you, by chance, know how long will DAZ be testing this site? It would be polite to e-mail customers and tell them something like: “we are testing now, come back in two weeks, everything will be running smoothly then.”

Right now I am just plain angry. Store isn´t working again (wasn´t tomorrow either), we are all guinea pigs and no word about the whole mess from DAZ representatives (except a handfull of poor moderators who try to help but are powerless just as we are).

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12
Proxima Shining - 31 May 2012 03:08 PM

As far as I can tell, strings, wire and duct tape seem to be a more powerful tool than brand new shiny Magento software… With them, store and forum was working, with Magento it does not. And what other job have web guys than to keep the site functioning? I thought that was what they are supposed to, it is their job description, no? What else would DAZ need them for?

I agree.

I once worked with an Engineer (at a television station) who used to say that the old transmitter and equipment provided him with job security. Things broke down all the time and he fixed them. Management never bothered him about anything.

We really don’t need NEW features. We just need the old features to work right, which they were.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2003-10-09
Frank0314 - 31 May 2012 03:26 PM

I hate to say this but as we all know at this point, the tests were inadequate.

Often, the problem with the testing is not having a very large number of users. Software that works fine with a smaller sample of 200 or even 1000, suddenly blows up when it needs to scale up by a factor or 10, or 100, or 1000.  So you have to run some tests with the big numbers.

Do you think this is the most likely source of the problem?

Did you guys search for current and past users of the commercial software (not just the names of references they supplied) to see how well the software worked for prior customers, prior to going with it ? To see what kind of support they provided? Etc.

Did you consider all of the compromises you were making by going with software that could not implement (or easily and immediately) implement features that customers were using in the old patched up software? How much weight did that carry?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2006-04-19

I agree, the new site is awful, sorry to tell that but i really think it. The old one was really better!!!!
This new version is very very very long to load, i must relog myself eachtime i’m on, and it takes usually 5 min to works!! we loose time.
I don’t like the new configuration of the store and th forum and i’m happy not to be the only one.
Oh, and where are the fast grab????

this site was the one i spent the most time on it, now i don’t think i’ll always do the same! i’m very disappointed.

Posted: 31 May 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2011-01-22
fixmypcmike - 31 May 2012 03:15 PM

Spending their full time holding it together (and at one point it took weeks to get some pending orders working) means they can’t ever spend time adding new features.

But are they spending time adding new features right now?  Maybe in the far off distant future, but I would imagine they’re bogged down more than ever now… Not just getting the site up and running, but bringing back the old features that were lost in the process. :(

Posted: 31 May 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8668
Joined  2007-11-06
Cagnazzo82 - 31 May 2012 05:44 PM
fixmypcmike - 31 May 2012 03:15 PM

But are they spending time adding new features right now?  Maybe in the far off distant future, but I would imagine they’re bogged down more than ever now… Not just getting the site up and running, but bringing back the old features that were lost in the process. :(

And while it’s certainly taking longer than they thought to get the basic features working, it’s still only been two weeks since the switch.  I hope they made the right decision this time and won’t be spending all their time firefighting six months from now, as they were last time.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

1 of 2