2 of 4
Zip files for the PC
Posted: 24 May 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1275
Joined  2008-03-30
Jaderail - 23 May 2012 07:52 PM

You understand that when all files are ZIP it will not matter what PC you are on, right? Zip is zip PC, Mac ect… so one file for all means no need to sort by PC type. Just give it some time.

Its going to be so great, I have DS on a mac and a PC so downloading both versions is a right royal PITA (can i say that?) although i’m researching a network solution and a shared runtime, so i don’t accidentely overwrite my mac runtime grin

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 24 May 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  521
Joined  2006-07-28

With installers broken, I’d prefer DAZ NOT wait for the download manager. 

Rather annoying when you can’t install a product you purchase or when it takes a half hour to get an installer to run.

Khory - 23 May 2012 12:42 PM

I really hope that they don’t put out the zips before the download manager because I am so not looking forward to dealing with zips.

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 25 May 2012 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7102
Joined  2009-07-13

well until they switch to zips for pc OR I get a landline (OR MAC!!!) I will have to pretty much accept resetting my downloads and retrying on my 3G mobile broadband at different times of the day
used up all my goes and resets just trying to download the Supersuit main file, forget all the rest of the pro package!!
still no suit
downloading never was good, usually 6 am Sunday morning is my best time, will retry then
BUT
the zip file downloads fine on my Android, unfortunately Mac only!!!!
I find zips excellent for that reason.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 26 May 2012 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

I’d like zip files for PC as I don’t always want to install everything in a set.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 26 May 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2003-10-09

My question is will the zip files be set up so they will unzip nicely into our runtime or will we have to manually place them in the correct folders? After someone from Daz sent me a zip file of an item that had an old installer that wouldnt work..the zip file put the files into a content folder rather than in my runtime so I had to manually place all the files. I was just wondering how they were planning to set it up?

Posted: 26 May 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2007-11-06

The zips should have the same file structure as the installers, so unless the installer was wrong (which I know is the case for some items, particularly older ones which can have path errors), they should be easy.  The Install Manager will probably protect against things like “My Library” being “Content” in DS3.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 26 May 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2003-10-09
fixmypcmike - 26 May 2012 10:40 AM

The zips should have the same file structure as the installers, so unless the installer was wrong (which I know is the case for some items, particularly older ones which can have path errors), they should be easy.  The Install Manager will probably protect against things like “My Library” being “Content” in DS3.

Wonderful news! Thanks! wink

Posted: 26 May 2012 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  572
Joined  2008-07-18
fixmypcmike - 26 May 2012 10:40 AM

Excellent. This will be such a time-saver.

Signature 

My Free Stuff | My Big Store at CP | My Smaller Store at Renderosity | Prayer | Me on Twitter | Me on DA

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2003-10-09

So will all products be updated to zips?  If so, I’ll have a lot of downloading to do as I’d like to archive them in zips.  Hope DAZ brings back the burn to DVD offer.  I’d be willing to pay for them burning all my orders and postage but I have a sneaking suspicion that won’t happen.

Posted: 28 May 2012 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-09-04

As I’m currently just wishing for wishing sakes…

it would be awesome if DAZ Studio would just take the zips (or rar or another archive format) as is, like you have a Archive content folder and then the Program (DAZ Studio/Poser) just works with it without unarchiving! I would make things simpler for both file management and disk defragmentation (anyone try copying their content library to another drive? It take an awful long time vs copying a few dvd size file, those small file just take forever).

Updating products would be simpler cause you just add the new archive and replace the old, or even have the Program version it for you using the updated/changed files within.

This of course would be a huge changing of the current process, but like I stated earlier… just wishing…..

-jack

Posted: 28 May 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2004-12-14

It is going to be a few weeks (at least) before the zips start showing up on the servers.  The reply I got from DAZ was they were about halfway done converting them.  I suspect that fixing the store is going to be a priority for a while. 

Patience folks

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2009-07-22

File Sizes no longer Given.  They should be listed right up front with price!!!

Just for the record. I no longer see file sizes posted. For a number of items, such as Hair styles, and clothes, file sizes are important to me because this is one of the considerations that goes into my render times for an image.

If I am looking for something to complete an image I am working on I will often buy/not buy based on the file size.  For Items that are V4 and Gn, I have been assuming that what I will use is about 50% of the file size listed.

Posted: 30 May 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7480
Joined  2006-03-19
Consumer573 - 30 May 2012 08:25 AM

File Sizes no longer Given.  They should be listed right up front with price!!!

Just for the record. I no longer see file sizes posted. For a number of items, such as Hair styles, and clothes, file sizes are important to me because this is one of the considerations that goes into my render times for an image.

If I am looking for something to complete an image I am working on I will often buy/not buy based on the file size.  For Items that are V4 and Gn, I have been assuming that what I will use is about 50% of the file size listed.

This is a know issue and DAZ is aware of it.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 30 May 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2004-09-18

Well we’ve lost out substantially in the ITEMIZED ORDERS.  It’s only 8 years waiting for ZIP files instead of executable installers.  It’s About Time!  smile

Signature 

McG.

I am NOT a newbie!

Posted: 30 May 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7480
Joined  2006-03-19

The install manager should be out shortly.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

2 of 4