Digital Art Zone

How do you fit a texture?
Posted: 28 October 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-04-28

I created a image that is in shape of a circle, I want to place it on top of a flat cylinder primitive I created in Daz3d. However when I do this, the texture is overly large and not centered. What I want to do is shrink the image size and put it in the center so the circle image fits perfectly with the cylinder primitive.

I have no idea how to achieve this, I tried using the layered image editor to do this but its rather hard, since I can’t view my changes in real time. So I figured that there has to be a easier way to do this.

I would appreciate help! Thanks!

Posted: 28 October 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2003-10-09

Do you have GIMP or an image editor?  In DS, select the primitive and change your view to “UV view.”  That will show you the model projected flat on a surface - the texture template, like a texture map.  I don’t think you can save this view to a file but you can screen capture it - in windows 7, use the “snipping tool” and carefully select the area inside the black border.  Paste that into a new image in GIMP and paint your texture over it, save the result as a JPG, and then load it as the diffuse color.

(There are more accurate ways to get a UV template but that’s the quickest and doesn’t require another app)

If the flat UV looks weird or totally squashed, your primitive doesn’t have a good UV layout by default and needs to be remapped, which is a little more advanced.

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 28 October 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-04-28

Thanks, I’ll try this and get back with you. Really I do appreciate the help!

Posted: 28 October 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2003-10-09

If it doesn’t work or is too hard, grab a screen cap of your cylinder and I’ll map a similar one for you. smile

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 28 October 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-04-28

Your advice works perfectly, thanks a bunch!