Digital Art Zone

28 of 99
Star Trek Builders Unite 2 “Renderings on the Edge of Forever” 
Posted: 18 November 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 406 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2003-10-09

Hey. no hurry, Thalek - your priorities are certainly more important than this wink. If you think there’s anything else I need to do to prep the mesh or CR2 beforehand, let me know — I grouped it according to the material zones, incl. segmenting the internal ‘tubes’ so they won’t poke through wink. I can probably rig them the normal way (7 joints ea.) with no problem - it’s just getting the ERC set up so the user can bend the entire antenna that I’m not familiar with. Rigging them is just the only way I know to make it practical to add jewelry that will move with them as they’re bent. smile

Thanks for anything you want to do to them smile

Posted: 18 November 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 407 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  2012-04-07

As some of the readers to this thread were interested in image editors for comics, this might be of interest.
Free for a short time, fully functional Xara Xtreme 5

May need to reboot the computer to finish installation, need to be online to register it.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 408 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-01-01

Something else I’ve had in my hard drive, my version of a Starfleet Marine duty uniform. I’ve seen some other versions of the Starfleet Marine insignia and, while I always felt it should be inspired by the USMC insignia, I always thought they were too close to the USMC insignia. I tried to do something a little different while retaining the anchor and globe.

One problem I have with Starfleet Marines, however, is that there’s no canon proof they exist (aside from Enterprise). No mention, forget appearances, in TOS, TNG, DS9, or Voyager. And as I’ve been watching DS9 and the whole Dominion War storyline, there were plenty of opportunities to see Marines, from the planetary fronts of the Klingons attempt to conquer the Cardassians (a prelude to the Dominion War itself) to armed personnel patrol the streets of Earth. In every case, they were Starfleet personnel. No mention of Marines.

So, no HOO-YAH in the 24th century?

Image Attachments
StarfleetMarineLt01.jpg
 Signature 

“Time is a fire in which we all burn.” -Dr. Tolian Soren

Posted: 18 November 2012 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 409 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Looks good! Only question I have is: why does it have the UFP symbol on it? I realize that Starfleet is essentially the ‘military’ arm of the Federation, but since none of the other divisions have it, it seems excessive here. I like the anchor; what about simply putting the Starfleet chevron over a round backing, similar to what you have (maybe it could include a top-down view of a spiral galaxy) and have the anchor through that, instead of through a UFP symbol? What you have is nicely done - it just seems a little too much of a good thing wink.

Uniform looks great, though cool smile.

Posted: 18 November 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 410 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Now I know why I hate rigging - it seems more of an art than a science, most of the time. After 2 hours, I finally got Draconian‘s antennae rigged - it only took about 6 tries! For some reason, that seems typical to/for me - at least 3 or 4 tries end up with bones that don’t connect to the OBJ, or it doesn’t pick up the OBJ once it’s saved and then reloaded to a new document, or any one of a dozen other scenarios shut eye.

What counts is that they work now ...

Thalek, I may save you some time; you know, these things only have 7 segments in each antenna - if we (meaning “I,” too !) need Easy-Pose, we’re (meaning “I’m” smile) just too damn lazy raspberry. BTW, the ones you rigged were Redfern‘s TOS antennae wink (according to the ReadMe).

The existing download package has been updated to include the new CR2. I’ve disabled the translation and scaling controls for most of the segments, although I kept the scaling controls for the 6th segment of each antenna; scaling that segment actually controls the scaling of the cone, and you can make them large enough to look similar to the ones in TOS. I also retained the X-trans control for the first segment, which allows you to adjust the spacing between the antennae (moving them in the Y- or Z-plane seemed redundant).

Of course, the package includes the UV-mapped geometry, as well, and a template to make your own materials.

And because I’m a little odd ...

Image Attachments
Verena_Hybrid_Antennae001.jpg

Posted: 18 November 2012 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 411 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  387
Joined  2003-10-09

There is a Colonel (which is not a Navy rank) West in The Undiscovered Country but Colonel of what isn’t mentioned
Note that his uniform was the uniform of a Starfleet vice admiral

Signature 

Old Posts: 2913
The person who makes no mistakes usually doesn’t make anything—-Edward J. Phelps

Posted: 18 November 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 412 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2003-10-13

DOWNLOAD HERE:  http://www.sharecg.com/v/65817/view/11/Poser/STO-Admiral-Uniform-Textures-for-V4-Courageous

Admiral uniform textures from the Star Trek Online game for DAZ’s V4 Courageous costume.  There is a texture with a bump map available in the Materials folder.

Image Attachments
STOAdmiralTexturesAd.jpg
 Signature 

Share and enjoy Trek artwork at http://startrekartistsunite.deviantart.com/

Posted: 18 November 2012 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 413 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  2012-04-07

nm - my humour not thine.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 414 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2009-12-07

Wow, very well done, Mylochka.

They really turned out nice. Thank you very much for doing them.

Your friend
Oracle

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 415 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  618
Joined  2004-12-14

Another converted pose set for SM Characters - Ryan Landing Party Poses - Phaser.

All critiques appreciated.

Next up:
M3/V3 Communications Officer Poses for Sydney
M3/V3 Engineering Officer Poses for Sydney
Captain On The Bridge for Simon

http://ssgbryan.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5lka4v

Image Attachments
Ryan_Landing_Party_Poses_-_Phaser_DAZ.png
 Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 416 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  304
Joined  2006-11-22
Ptrope - 18 November 2012 03:49 PM

Hey. no hurry, Thalek - your priorities are certainly more important than this wink. If you think there’s anything else I need to do to prep the mesh or CR2 beforehand, let me know — I grouped it according to the material zones, incl. segmenting the internal ‘tubes’ so they won’t poke through wink. I can probably rig them the normal way (7 joints ea.) with no problem - it’s just getting the ERC set up so the user can bend the entire antenna that I’m not familiar with. Rigging them is just the only way I know to make it practical to add jewelry that will move with them as they’re bent. smile

Thanks for anything you want to do to them smile

Well, if you can turn it into a posable .cr2 with joints, it’s the matter of maybe two minutes to change it to an EP figure.  And most of that is starting the program and trying to remember what the parameters are.  For me, changing a prop into a posable figure is the hard part.  Ask poor Bill how often we went back and forth on the Martian War Machine before I finally got it right.  The MARS viewers were pretty tedious, too.  Hell, if you had the EZ Pose program, you wouldn’t need me at all; it’s that easy to do.

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 417 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  456
Joined  2003-10-09
TimG - 16 November 2012 09:06 PM
GRFK DSGN Unlimited - 16 November 2012 04:02 PM

I’m a little urked right now. Earlier this week I tried to join a group on DeviantArt to try and get some more exposure for my webcomic blog. I was bascially told by one of the moderators that 3d art is not illustration and that moving Poser figures around is not illustration and that I should quit arguing with her. Just burns my a$$!

David

I don’t think you need to need to participate in a close-minded. prejudiced group like that. Daz models are used by professional illustrators.

Thanks for the support guys. It just burns me when I encounter someone so narrow minded and close minded to the point that they are not willing to hear anyone’s opinion but their own.

David

Posted: 19 November 2012 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 418 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  618
Joined  2004-12-14
blubeetle3 - 18 November 2012 09:14 PM

Something else I’ve had in my hard drive, my version of a Starfleet Marine duty uniform. I’ve seen some other versions of the Starfleet Marine insignia and, while I always felt it should be inspired by the USMC insignia, I always thought they were too close to the USMC insignia. I tried to do something a little different while retaining the anchor and globe.

One problem I have with Starfleet Marines, however, is that there’s no canon proof they exist (aside from Enterprise). No mention, forget appearances, in TOS, TNG, DS9, or Voyager. And as I’ve been watching DS9 and the whole Dominion War storyline, there were plenty of opportunities to see Marines, from the planetary fronts of the Klingons attempt to conquer the Cardassians (a prelude to the Dominion War itself) to armed personnel patrol the streets of Earth. In every case, they were Starfleet personnel. No mention of Marines.

So, no HOO-YAH in the 24th century?

No real need to have Marines - there is nothing a Marine Corps can do that can’t be done by UFP Ground Forces - and with less self-promotion.

In my graphic novel, there are no marines on ships, just SP’s.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 19 November 2012 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 419 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2009-01-14

United Fed Postal have ground troops ? raspberry

and since it is starfleet and United federation of planet and not USA
it makes sense that Marines aren’t there, since why not Vulcan Logic Troops or Andoran Storm Troops or hey maybe Telleran Star Troops

Signature 

my art: http://mototsume.deviantart.com/
or http://mototsume.webege.com/
freebies:  http://mototsume.webege.com/downloads.htm

Old Post Count: 1773

Posted: 19 November 2012 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 420 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2006-10-07
bluto - 18 November 2012 01:27 PM

wow , with so many of you interested in my raptors , it might be a little easier to upload them to share c g or excalipro
i will finnish up the modeling on the enterprise era raptor and packade up all 3 to be uploaded to either share c g or excalipro
when that is done i will post a link

thanks for your input guys

Bluto if you are interested I would be willing to host it at DA as well in our new Mirror Trek group.

Signature 

“When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality.”  “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”  “Most bad government has grown out of too much government.” —Thomas Jefferson.

28 of 99