Star Trek Builders Unite 2 “Renderings on the Edge of Forever” 
Posted: 06 November 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 181 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1342
Joined  2004-07-16
ssgbryan - 05 November 2012 11:55 PM

Another WIP.

I pulled Ptrope’s 23rd Century bridge into Hexagon and stripped out the lift.  After saving the lift as a prop, I dropped it in where the science station goes.  I also replaced the Helm/Nav station with the one from the XcalPro bridge.  The accent color is called “Mouthwash” (Really, that is what it is called.)

I still have a couple of things I am not for sure about:

1.  I have no idea why the arms on the Captain’s chair have changed color.
2.  In the full size image, I still have a section of railing that is turning transparent (to right of Captain’s chair.
3.  I really, really want to have a wood-grain accent color.  I haven’t figured out how to do that yet - any suggestions on how to adjust these items in the material room would really, really be appreciated.

All comments, praises, & brickbats greatly appreciated…....

In Poser, you’d just take it into the material room and change the textures. Don’t know about D/S.

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2003-10-09

attempt at a female Tellarite

Image Attachments
FemaleTellarite.jpg

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2004-08-23

Just messing around yesterday:

Image Attachments
Gordie.jpg

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2004-08-23

Worf Start:

Image Attachments
002.jpg

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2004-12-14
mdbruffy - 06 November 2012 04:06 AM

Another WIP.

I pulled Ptrope’s 23rd Century bridge into Hexagon and stripped out the lift.  After saving the lift as a prop, I dropped it in where the science station goes.  I also replaced the Helm/Nav station with the one from the XcalPro bridge.  The accent color is called “Mouthwash” (Really, that is what it is called.)

2.  In the full size image, I still have a section of railing that is turning transparent (to right of Captain’s chair.
3.  I really, really want to have a wood-grain accent color.  I haven’t figured out how to do that yet - any suggestions on how to adjust these items in the material room would really, really be appreciated.

In Poser, you’d just take it into the material room and change the textures. Don’t know about D/S.

Well, I don’t know how to get the texture to tile - just going into the material room and applying a texture map doesn’t do it.

In this example, I applied one of the Dreamland textures to the lift door and the railing - the railing & edging change color, but don’t show the grain, and the lift door grain is much too large.

I know I am doing something wrong, but I don’t know what.

Image Attachments
Kilkis_Bridge-WIP_-_Take_2_sm.png
 Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 06 November 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2003-10-09

ssgbryan - I’ve never had success applying a texture map to the railing in that set. You may need re-map the mesh, unfortunately I don’t know how to do that.

Posted: 06 November 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 187 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-14
TimG - 06 November 2012 11:00 AM

ssgbryan - I’ve never had success applying a texture map to the railing in that set. You may need re-map the mesh, unfortunately I don’t know how to do that.

Neither do I - right now, it is a victory just to break off each part of the base (lift, railings, stairs, screen, etc) to use a separate parts.  Somewhere, there is a post that shows what one need to change as far as scaling in hexagon to make the items match, but I lost it.

What is frustrating is that Ptrope did it when he did his Steampunk version of the bridge - he never showed us how he did it though.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 188 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-14

In one of my stories, I need a Klingon dilithium cracking plant -Stonemason to the rescue!

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/planet-lava

How did he know?

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 189 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2004-10-05
blubeetle3 - 05 November 2012 08:26 PM

COOL! More Klingons!

Here’s an update on Bob the Klingon.

ok . i have been curious ever since you first started posting pics of bob, so now i have to ask .

what are you using for the battle tunic ? wilt the adition of a good bump mag that could look like it came off the show .

i shall try to model some of the klingon transport and com badges as soon as i get a little more time

Posted: 06 November 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 190 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2004-10-05

i always thought this looked a little klingon too

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/uniforms-costumes/noctem

Posted: 06 November 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 191 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1342
Joined  2004-07-16
ssgbryan - 06 November 2012 10:53 AM

Another WIP.

Well, I don’t know how to get the texture to tile - just going into the material room and applying a texture map doesn’t do it.

In this example, I applied one of the Dreamland textures to the lift door and the railing - the railing & edging change color, but don’t show the grain, and the lift door grain is much too large.

Okay, just checked my copy of this bridge and I see what the problem is. There has never been an actual texture map for those parts of the bridge. You’ll have to export objs and map them so you’ll have templates to create the maps from.

Posted: 06 November 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 192 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-14
mdbruffy - 06 November 2012 02:22 PM

Another WIP.

Okay, just checked my copy of this bridge and I see what the problem is. There has never been an actual texture map for those parts of the bridge. You’ll have to export objs and map them so you’ll have templates to create the maps from.

OK, 1 more thing I need to learn how to do.

You know, it was easier when all I needed was Vicky, a temple, and a sword….......

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 193 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2003-10-09

Another WIP.

Firstly, the railings aren’t UV-mapped - there didn’t seem to be any reason to, since they were a solid color. You might, however, be able to get something like woodgrain using a procedural color rather than a texture map. Applying a texture map to an unmapped surface will only give you the average color of the image over the entire surface. The only good way to UV-map the railings would be to do each section individually, so the grain flows believably - you wouldn’t do the railings as all one piece, unless you just do a planar map from the y-axis, and then make a specific texture map that would essentially be a ‘snapshot’ of the top of the railings.

The doors are UV-mapped, so they could be made into Mirror Universe doors with the Empire logo on them. If you want to tile a texture map in Poser, just go into the Advanced tab, and on the panel for the texture map, change the U and V values to something smaller than 1.000000 (which is full size - any smaller number is that percentage of the full size).

Is there an advantage to using XCalPro’s helm/nav? I tried to make the one in my set pretty clean and detailed. I might have to get XCalPro’s and take a look at it wink.

Posted: 06 November 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 194 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-01-01
bluto - 06 November 2012 01:42 PM
blubeetle3 - 05 November 2012 08:26 PM

COOL! More Klingons!

Here’s an update on Bob the Klingon.

ok . i have been curious ever since you first started posting pics of bob, so now i have to ask .

what are you using for the battle tunic ? wilt the adition of a good bump mag that could look like it came off the show .

i shall try to model some of the klingon transport and com badges as soon as i get a little more time

What am I using? Why, that’s our old friend the M4 Valiant tunic. I did texture maps, spectral maps, transpanency maps, bump maps, and displacement maps. The gauntlets and belt buckle I made with primatives in Poser that I modefied in Hexagon. The collar was a M3 Tribal collar that I heavily modefied in Hexagon.

Oh, and the pants and boots are M4 Fairytale Prince retextured by me.

Signature 

“Time is a fire in which we all burn.” -Dr. Tolian Soren

Posted: 06 November 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 195 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-14
Ptrope - 06 November 2012 04:03 PM

Firstly, the railings aren’t UV-mapped - there didn’t seem to be any reason to, since they were a solid color. You might, however, be able to get something like woodgrain using a procedural color rather than a texture map. Applying a texture map to an unmapped surface will only give you the average color of the image over the entire surface. The only good way to UV-map the railings would be to do each section individually, so the grain flows believably - you wouldn’t do the railings as all one piece, unless you just do a planar map from the y-axis, and then make a specific texture map that would essentially be a ‘snapshot’ of the top of the railings.

The doors are UV-mapped, so they could be made into Mirror Universe doors with the Empire logo on them. If you want to tile a texture map in Poser, just go into the Advanced tab, and on the panel for the texture map, change the U and V values to something smaller than 1.000000 (which is full size - any smaller number is that percentage of the full size).

Is there an advantage to using XCalPro’s helm/nav? I tried to make the one in my set pretty clean and detailed. I might have to get XCalPro’s and take a look at it ;).

Thanks for the information on how to do the woodgrain.

The reason I am using the XCalPro helm/nav - it looks slightly different.  I don’t want all of the ships to look exactly the same.  In real life, even ships that are from the exact same class, working from the exact same blueprints will be different from each other.  These ships have been through the wars (literally) and have newer and older equipment through out.  In some of the earliest panels in the story, the accents colors on the workstations are in different colors - showing how these ships are being redone on the fly.  I have 1 bridge that has a different accent color for each workstation.

Besides, I paid the bandwidth charge for that model & by golly, I am going to use it.  Almost all of my Federation ship bridges are yours, but a few ships will have pieces of the other bridge in various places.  The fit and finish for all of these ships are going to be a little off.  The 5th fleet is last in line for everything.

Another example will be some ships have the Mirror Universe chair extension, which will be a point of contention between the captain of the Von der Tann and the captain of the Tiger.

The ships in my stories have been hastily pulled from mothballs & refurbished.  They are also old - In My Trek Universe (IMTU), the 2 ships I mentioned are the Renown class - half-sisters to the Republic class and some of the few survivors from the Federation/Kzinti Hegemony War (40 years prior to my current TOS time-frame).  The ship models I am using are mostly kitbashed from Dave Metlesits’ collection of TOS ships.  The Renown class are kitbashed from his Pilot Constitution Class ship.

2 requests, if I may…..

1.  Could I talk you into doing a Pilot Episode bridge screen could I?  The bridge on Captain Pike’s Enterprise had some subtle differences between it and the one that Captain Kirk had.  (Like a bridge screen with rounded corners.)

2.  Bridge workstations that would fit in a square room?  Looking at the Caracal class ship drawings, they have a square bridge and I would like to have some of your workstations in them.

Thanks again for your help.

Signature 

13 of 99