Digital Art Zone

79 of 99
Star Trek Builders Unite 2 “Renderings on the Edge of Forever” 
Posted: 28 December 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1171 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2003-10-09

Again, it may have picked the file in “Pike_Quarters” before it got to “TOS_Quarters” - I may need to rename the files so that doesn’t happen…

Posted: 28 December 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1172 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1292
Joined  2004-07-16

Ptrope, I hate to keep bothering you, but…
fixed the wall issue. I went into the geomtery files and changed the name of the Pike quarters right wall to “Pike’s wall right”- had no more problems.

Now, however, I do have a problem with the dorm room screen. see pic and the screen cricled in red. Any ideas?

Image Attachments
Something-else--WEB.jpg

Posted: 28 December 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1173 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Hard to tell at this size - do you get that same look if you render it closer? My best guess is it’s an interference pattern - I don’t know if the reflectivity combined with the resolution is causing that or what. I’ll give it a shot at home and see what pops up.

EDIT: Do you get that pattern if you don’t have the other center wall in the scene? Or are you using an IBL that might be casting an image pattern on the screen?

Posted: 28 December 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1174 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16
Ptrope - 28 December 2012 04:57 PM

Hard to tell at this size - do you get that same look if you render it closer? My best guess is it’s an interference pattern - I don’t know if the reflectivity combined with the resolution is causing that or what. I’ll give it a shot at home and see what pops up.

EDIT: Do you get that pattern if you don’t have the other center wall in the scene? Or are you using an IBL that might be casting an image pattern on the screen?

yeah, up close, too.

Edit: With the other center wall turned invisible, it still happens. I’m using a basic five light set up- north,south,east.west and over head.

Image Attachments
Up_Close_too.jpg

Posted: 28 December 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1175 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2003-10-09

Medical readout confirming “He’s dead, Jim.”

Sincerely,

Bill

Image Attachments
TOSl-Readout-J-1.jpg

Posted: 28 December 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1176 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2003-10-09

And the original readout nabbed from the net thanks to the Google search link provided earlier.

Sincerely,

Bill

Image Attachments
TOSl-Readout-J-2.jpg

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1177 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Love the new ‘briefical bay’ shot, Redfern; I agree, this is a much better angle.

==========

On the quarters front, I’ve uploaded the updated zip file to ShareCG with the OBJ names and references updated, and the background image removed. MDBruffy, I’m still experimenting with that reflection - I’m getting a similar artifact, with or without an IBL, and I can’t figure out where it’s coming from at the moment. If it continues and I can’t resolve it, I’ll probably need to create a less-accurate reflective texture, probably with a reflection map instead. I’ve never seen that show up until today - I’m blaming you smile.

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1178 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16
Ptrope - 28 December 2012 06:18 PM

Love the new ‘briefical bay’ shot, Redfern; I agree, this is a much better angle.

==========

On the quarters front, I’ve uploaded the updated zip file to ShareCG with the OBJ names and references updated, and the background image removed. MDBruffy, I’m still experimenting with that reflection - I’m getting a similar artifact, with or without an IBL, and I can’t figure out where it’s coming from at the moment. If it continues and I can’t resolve it, I’ll probably need to create a less-accurate reflective texture, probably with a reflection map instead. I’ve never seen that show up until today - I’m blaming you smile.

Thanks! grin

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1179 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  304
Joined  2006-11-22

Nicely done, Bill!  I like the idea of rigging the arrows so one could animate the readings, but I’ve no idea how to go about it

Ptrope, sorry to hear about the minor issues.  I also have multiple runtimes, so I use D3D’s Poser Organizer to find and “repair” file references.  I use the option to make them explicit paths, as I recall.  If I have to move them for some reason, I can just use Poser Organizer to update the information.  (I also use Senosoft’s P3DO Explorer’s Librarian module to find pathway and thumbnail problems before I even go into Poser.  I don’t have much hair left to tear out; this tends to save what I have.)

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1180 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2268
Joined  2003-12-06
mdbruffy - 28 December 2012 02:20 PM

Ptorpe, When I loaded your dorm Pz3, this is what I got. It’s also asking for a weird file name;

apophysis_noodling_3_by dogsdinner-d4rjawt.jpg

Color me confused.rolleyes

I’m also getting a number of calls to .obz versions of the Poser ground plane and box props, and the double quarters version wants the “Wood Veneer 02.jpg” in the TOS_Pike folder, not the one in the PTrope folder. I’m using D|S, so I don’t have the Poser objects — is anything in the two scenes actually made with them, or are they just turning up in the .pz3 because Poser?

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 28 December 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1181 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2003-10-09
Redfern - 28 December 2012 05:52 PM

Medical readout confirming “He’s dead, Jim.”

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern - 28 December 2012 05:53 PM

And the original readout nabbed from the net thanks to the Google search link provided earlier.

Sincerely,

Bill

Uh-oh, Jim! Gary’s awake! big surprise

Posted: 28 December 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1182 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
SpottedKitty - 28 December 2012 06:43 PM

Ptorpe, When I loaded your dorm Pz3, this is what I got. It’s also asking for a weird file name;

I’m also getting a number of calls to .obz versions of the Poser ground plane and box props, and the double quarters version wants the “Wood Veneer 02.jpg” in the TOS_Pike folder, not the one in the Ptrope folder. I’m using D|S, so I don’t have the Poser objects — is anything in the two scenes actually made with them, or are they just turning up in the .pz3 because Poser?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any control over D|S’s inability to process the lights, cameras, etc. properly - those OBZ references are all to Poser’s internal light, ground and camera objects (no, I have no idea why there are geometries for the lights and cameras wink). I don’t know how D|S handles any other PZ3 - I would think this stuff would already be part of its import structure.

The “Wood Veneer 02.jpg” is the same in both locations; just select the one that’s in the Ptrope folder. In the meantime, I’ll be updating the package again to address that problem. Keep in mind, too, that the dorm set also uses the mattress and pillow from the Pike set, so you should have it installed, as well.

The update will also include a new “Wall_Center-Dorm” PP2, as well as updated PZ3 - after exporting the prop as an OBJ, I found that the screen had a few thousand ‘extra’ polys in the screen where they were doubled, and only on the ‘office’ side of the screen - that appears to be what was causing the artifacts. I’m testing the new prop now.

EDIT: Looks like it may have done the trick - I purposely lit the heck out of it, since it seemed to be more obvious with more light, and nothing appears to have popped up here.

Image Attachments
QuartersTest003.png

Posted: 28 December 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1183 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16
Ptrope - 28 December 2012 08:49 PM
SpottedKitty - 28 December 2012 06:43 PM

I’m also getting a number of calls to .obz versions of the Poser ground plane and box props, and the double quarters version wants the “Wood Veneer 02.jpg” in the TOS_Pike folder, not the one in the Ptrope folder. I’m using D|S, so I don’t have the Poser objects — is anything in the two scenes actually made with them, or are they just turning up in the .pz3 because Poser?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any control over D|S’s inability to process the lights, cameras, etc. properly - those OBZ references are all to Poser’s internal light, ground and camera objects (no, I have no idea why there are geometries for the lights and cameras wink). I don’t know how D|S handles any other PZ3 - I would think this stuff would already be part of its import structure.

The “Wood Veneer 02.jpg” is the same in both locations; just select the one that’s in the Ptrope folder. In the meantime, I’ll be updating the package again to address that problem. Keep in mind, too, that the dorm set also uses the mattress and pillow from the Pike set, so you should have it installed, as well.

The update will also include a new “Wall_Center-Dorm” PP2, as well as updated PZ3 - after exporting the prop as an OBJ, I found that the screen had a few thousand ‘extra’ polys in the screen where they were doubled, and only on the ‘office’ side of the screen - that appears to be what was causing the artifacts. I’m testing the new prop now.

Yea!!! grin

Posted: 28 December 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1184 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2009-01-14

a couple of Kazon Raiders

Image Attachments
kazon_raiders-sml.jpg
 Signature 

my art: http://mototsume.deviantart.com/
or http://mototsume.webege.com/
freebies:  http://mototsume.webege.com/downloads.htm

Old Post Count: 1773

Posted: 28 December 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1185 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16
MotoTsume - 28 December 2012 09:26 PM

a couple of Kazon Raiders

That looks good. Where in the world did you find them?

79 of 99