Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
$12,000 For One Render
Posted: 27 October 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2008-08-09

I posted a thread like this a year or two ago.  Today I went to one of those international art fairs and saw a 3D render with a price tag of $12,000.  It was a limited edition print, one of 20.  20 prints for $12,000 is almost a quarter of a million dollars for one render.  The artist is once again Ray Caesar.  Here’s a link to the image Love Letters by Ray Caesar $12,000

Posted: 27 October 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Basically, when this…“Contact Us For Price!”...is where the price info is, insanity ensues.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Every Artist has the right to ask what they feel their art is worth. If others agree and pay that price then you are worth that price in the eyes of the person buying the art. The WORTH is in the buyers eye.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 28 October 2012 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Jaderail - 27 October 2012 11:48 PM

Every Artist has the right to ask what they feel their art is worth. If others agree and pay that price then you are worth that price in the eyes of the person buying the art. The WORTH is in the buyers eye.

And I have the right to laugh and say he’s ‘nucking futs’...especially when it’s some gallery doing the ‘asking’...to me, galleries are like ‘big music/record labels’.  They exist mostly to serve themselves, at the expense of the artist, as opposed to serving the artist.  Galleries seem to exist to promote the idea ‘if it costs a lot, it must be good’.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 28 October 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2012-07-21

Love his work. He’s one of the big and few lowbrow-artists that are recognised by the so-called “fine arts world”. Most probably don’t realise they’re not paintings but renders.

Most important : this definitely establishes that what we do, can be art ! It’s not in the tools, it’s in the heart and head of the artist.

Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10114
Joined  2005-10-07

sigh would like to render a moneymaker too

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °
DSP4.6.2.118 Valentina Luxus ManualD/L C85P PP12 W3d99.5

Posted: 28 October 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  688
Joined  2003-10-09

(*sigh*) Don’t get me started on the art business.  I don’t blame everybody in the arena but I do have issues with the talentless fobs who get the clueless snobs to throw vast amounts of money their way.  Too many examples of “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.  :-(  Must be nice to be in a business that has no objective measures of quality.  :-Q

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 28 October 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10114
Joined  2005-10-07

i dunno that art can be measured.

i personally wouldn’t consider Picasso art, but everyone else begs to differ smile

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °
DSP4.6.2.118 Valentina Luxus ManualD/L C85P PP12 W3d99.5

Posted: 28 October 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  688
Joined  2003-10-09
Misty Whisky - 28 October 2012 07:40 AM

i personally wouldn’t consider Picasso art, but everyone else begs to differ smile

Not being measurable was my point.  It’s like asking which is better “red” or “green”?  The answer is totally subjective.

Personally I’m looking for a sap that loves green and I’ll sell him a bag of lawn cuttings sprayed onto framed piece of flypaper.

My criteria for liking art are: “does it show talent or persistence?”  If so, then the creator deserves some kudos.  My best example of non-art is Miro’s giant, ragged, hand painted red circle on an otherwise blank canvas that I saw in a big Texas museum.  Laughing all the way to the bank with that one he was.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 28 October 2012 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2008-08-09

There were many many inkjet prints at the art fair - all costing thousands of dollars. 

Posted: 28 October 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  0
Fauvist - 27 October 2012 09:52 PM

I posted a thread like this a year or two ago.  Today I went to one of those international art fairs and saw a 3D render with a price tag of $12,000.  It was a limited edition print, one of 20.  20 prints for $12,000 is almost a quarter of a million dollars for one render.  The artist is once again Ray Caesar.  Here’s a link to the image Love Letters by Ray Caesar $12,000

Just send them my way, I do it for half the price!

Signature 

Peter

Posted: 28 October 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2004-06-24

I’m with Akhbour on this one.

Cheers
GG

Signature 

WHO said Kiwis can’t fly ?????

Posted: 28 October 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2813
Joined  2004-10-25

I think Picasso’s art, but I myself prefer others like Monet.

Fauvist - 28 October 2012 09:37 AM

There were many many inkjet prints at the art fair - all costing thousands of dollars.

It was printed on an inkjet????  Geeze, you’d think they would at least be printed on a commerical laser printer.

I just don’t see that price tag for that render.  That’s not to say I don’t like it, it’s just not worth it to me.  Beauty (be it art or otherwise) is indeed in the eyes of the beholder.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 28 October 2012 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  518
Joined  2005-09-12
LeatherGryphon - 28 October 2012 09:25 AM

Not being measurable was my point.  It’s like asking which is better “red” or “green”?  The answer is totally subjective.

Personally I’m looking for a sap that loves green and I’ll sell him a bag of lawn cuttings sprayed onto framed piece of flypaper.

My criteria for liking art are: “does it show talent or persistence?”  If so, then the creator deserves some kudos.  My best example of non-art is Miro’s giant, ragged, hand painted red circle on an otherwise blank canvas that I saw in a big Texas museum.  Laughing all the way to the bank with that one he was.

Twenty-some years ago I was in the Smithsonian Fine Art museum (or Modern Art museum- I don’t remember what it was called). I ran across a ‘work’ that consisted of two canvases, both about 5 feet square. One was semi-gloss black, the other semi-gloss white; about 9 inches in from the left on each was a lavender stripe not quite two inches wide, running top to bottom. I looked at it (them), and thought “This is art? Someone would pay for this? This looks stupid.” Five times, over the course of the day; I couldn’t stay away, it kept drawing me back.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 28 October 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  618
Joined  2008-07-16

Heh, heh, heh… Ya gotta love the “Art world”...

The real trick is getting into a gallery, or having someone who promotes you… also the artist is not going to be making $12,000 each piece… he’ll probably have to split that 60/40 with the gallery.

It is an Okay looking piece… not my thing by a long shot…  But $12,000 good? 
Eh, if thats what you want to pay… I’d be more impressed if the Artist agreed to (by legal contract) to delete the original scene/file after the initial run.  That makes it more “valuable” and unique in my opinion.
Other than that I don’t really see any special value to something he could just crank out more of. Seems kind of lame to me.
I can only imagine that such a thing will only sell to someone who does not know ANYTHING about CGI and thinks its all just magic from the world of tomorrow.
But, yeah… good luck to him if he can get it… There is far more effort, and talent involved in what he made than what I’ve seen (up close and personal) go into the average pop art piece.
I once had the “privilege” of seeing Julian Schnabel create one of his great works…  a piece painted on an old army tarp with the words Saint Ignatius of Loyola and some deer antlers painted in house paint on it… he spent a couple of hours to write the words and draw the antlers… there may have some other stuff on it…  I forget, it was like 1987 or something like that… but for fuddling around for a few hours, he got $10,000 or $12,000 dollars.  AND people called him (and some still do) a GENIUS for it.

Perhaps he was… he was able to market that thing.

Most people who collect art, do it for a very narrow range of reasons… To make money off of it, to appear smart and cultured and on some very rare occasions, because the art actually appeals to them…. So if this fellow finds someone to pay for his render… good for him.

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 28 October 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2005-06-08
namffuak - 28 October 2012 04:44 PM
LeatherGryphon - 28 October 2012 09:25 AM

Twenty-some years ago I was in the Smithsonian Fine Art museum (or Modern Art museum- I don’t remember what it was called). I ran across a ‘work’ that consisted of two canvases, both about 5 feet square. One was semi-gloss black, the other semi-gloss white; about 9 inches in from the left on each was a lavender stripe not quite two inches wide, running top to bottom. I looked at it (them), and thought “This is art? Someone would pay for this? This looks stupid.” Five times, over the course of the day; I couldn’t stay away, it kept drawing me back.

I’m reluctant to say “this isn’t art”, especially when (however inexplicably) a piece does what art’s supposed to do.  And in this day’n'age it’s not really surprising that art made with high-tech supplies is starting to draw critical acclaim and big money.

I’d say the piece in question (which looks like a lot more work went into it than just load-pose-render), as a high-quality print with a limited run, could easily be worth a few hundred on the open market.  $12,000?!?  Not from me!  But it’s not to my taste.

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

1 of 4