Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2006-02-20

It doesn’t like me!

Bryce_7.1.0.109
DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn’t react at all.

?????????????????????
Help?

Edited to add: I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?
Another edit: the Bridge to Hexagon doesn’t work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...
I have 2.5.1.79 ...

Waaaah!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16386
Joined  2003-10-09

You are doing it the wrong way round, you don’t send it from Daz Studio to Bryce, you imort it into Bryce from Daz Studio.

Close DS   Open up Bryce, and click on the DAZ 3D icon on the top line right hand side.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2006-05-26

Chohole, I could be mistaken but it should work just fine the way Kerya is using it. You should be able to start DS4 first, then use the send to bryce tool and a new instance of Bryce should be opened that is linked to the current ds4 instance, your content should then show up in Bryce as expected.

There is indeed something fishy going on with the Bridge. Here’s how I understand it so far.

When Bryce 7 was released the only DS version available was DS 3.

When DS4 was released Bryce should have been updated but it wasnt. So that has led to a problem with the registry.

In the registry there are keys that tell Bryce 7 to search only for DS 3 and from there it is redirected to DS4 with proper updating. When DS 4 was first released users had to manually update the registry. Perhaps with DS 4.5 pro this is automatic with installation. Not sure. In your case manual will be best.

Just like you I get a dropdown menu that is blank, because Bryce 7 for me still thinks it is launching DS 3 when really it launches DS4. But the bridge operates fine for me.

In my own case, to get the bridge to DS 4.0 working I had to fiddle with the registry keys. Scary stuff. But doable and seems to still function with DS4.5.

So in case I’ve been unclear let me state it better.

Bryce 7 is not programmed to look for DS 4 or 4.5. Bryce 7 is hard wired to DS 3.

Because of this the user must manually edit the registry keys so that the link is redirected to launch DS4 or 4.5.

Even if you have never installed DS 3 on your system, the DS4 installer still adds registry keys for DS3 with redirect instructions to DS4. The bridge cannot function otherwise.

The sequence the software is installed matters a lot in some cases but perhaps not all. In my own case I already had Bryce 7 installed, and had originally been using DS 3 when DS 4 came out and had no problems with the bridge to DS4. But then I switched operating systems and had to start over on a new system that had never been exposed to a DS3 install. What I found was that the bridge to DS4 required me to add DS 3 keys even though I did not have need for DS3 on my system. So systems that had previously been exposed to DS3 did fine with Ds4 as well. It was the systems that had never seen Ds3 that had bridge problems to Ds4.

However there are other people who may have installed DS 4 first and then Bryce 7 afterward. I honestly do not know if installing Ds 4 first or Bryce first will bring about the best results. Either way Bryce 7 is still hard wired to seek DS 3 instead of Ds4. As stated above the newest DS4 installers should know how to update the registry to include the necessary keys to create an operation bridge. But I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Here’s what I can do. I will provide you a link to the original thread in the old forum that explains how to do this. To see the images attached you might need to use Grease Monkey’s script that displays the old forums properly. The information you need is provided as an image by a user named Steve Athome. See the archive thread below.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=166719&highlight;=

Hope this helps. Im surprised more people dont run into this problem, it was a big one for me. Best of luck.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 28 October 2012 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4847
Joined  2004-07-01
Kerya - 27 October 2012 08:09 AM

It doesn’t like me!

Bryce_7.1.0.109
DazStudio 4.5.1.6

Whenever I try to send something to Bryce, DazStudio tells me:
the Bryce Bridge requires Bryce 7.1.0.73.

Trying the other way round, opening DS from Bryce:
I get a window to choose my version of DazStudio to run and there is nothing in the dropdown menu. It doesn’t react at all.

?????????????????????
Help?

Edited to add: I am using the 64bit version of DazStudio ... do I really have to install the 32bit for the bridge to work?
Another edit: the Bridge to Hexagon doesn’t work either ... it tells me I need Hexagon 2.5.1.52 or higher ...
I have 2.5.1.79 ...

Waaaah!

I have the same set up as you and every thing works fine .
DS to Bryce and DS to Hex .
You could try adding DS 32 bit - I do have that installed also . Might help .

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you Rashad!
I think you are getting near the problem - I looked at the registry and couldn’t find a Bryce or a Hexagon folder under DAZ ...
Something is borked.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3672
Joined  2004-10-01

Bryce must be installed first, Studio last. If Studio is already installed, install Bryce and re-install Studio over the existing installation. I have never had to fiddle in the registry. The picture shows that I have several installations of Bryce and Studio and all worked from the first moment.

Bryce 5.5 launches Studio 2.3 directly.
Bryce 6.1 launches Studio 2.3 directly.
Bryce 6.3 asks which Studio I want to launch, 2.3 or 3.
Bryce 7.0 asks for Studio 3 either 32 or 64 bit.
Bryce 7.1 asks for Studio 3 or 4 - with 3 it launches 3, with 4 it launches 4.5.

I don’t know why it doesn’t work for others the same way.

Image Attachments
BryceStudio.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

Yes, Horo. You wont have a problem with any of it because you already had DS3 installed before you installed Ds4. It is for users who have never installed DS3 that this problem arises.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3672
Joined  2004-10-01

Ah - didn’t know that bit. Thanks Rashad.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

Here is the thread where Steve first solved the mystery of the registry failures. This thread should jog the memories of both Chohole and Horo.
http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2978930&highlight;=#2978930

Kerya,
And just in case you are unable to view the images in the archive I have re-uploaded them with Steve’s original instructions. There are two places to make registry edits, both on the DS side and the Bryce side.

Remember that if any of the keys are missing you will need to create them.

It seems that creating our own DS3 keys, while effective for the basic function of the bridge, seems to break the function of the drop down that should list which version of DS are available. For me I get nothing on the drop down but because of the registry edits it still starts DS4.5 for me.

Image Attachments
Registry_1.pngRegistry_2.png
 Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

For me this issue of the registry problems breaking the Bridge to DS4 is just as important as the side by side configuration error. It’s probably a good idea to add this information in a sticky.

Its a bit embarrassing that we have to edit the registry this way to use DS4 simply because Bryce hasnt been updated in over 2 years. ARGGGH!

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

I poked around a bit more - it seems to have to do with me using a restricted account most of the time.
I changed to being an administrator and then I DO have those registry keys and all bridges are working.
Starting regedit as a user, I do get the first picture, as an administrator the second.

How do I create that line with InstallPath as a user?
If I rightclick and say new I get a difficult choice of things ...

Edited to add: funnily as an administrator there is no key for Dazstudio3 ... but it works ...

Image Attachments
registry.jpgregistryadministrator.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

OK, it is Stringvalue (Zeichenfolge in German).
That did it!
Created install paths for DS3 (just used my path to DS4) and in DS4 and in Bryce7 and - wow ! Working bridge!

That’s just leaving me with a nonworking Hexagon bridge ... which works as administrator ...
But I couldn’t find why a registry key like the one for Bryce7 for Hexagon, even as administrator, so I can’t simply copy ...

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16386
Joined  2003-10-09

Sorry I I got confused here.  I was told the bridge was all working right in DS 4.5.  I have to go by what I am told, cos I don’t use DS.  I still bring my figures in Via Poser, which has always been my chosen Add on for Bryce red face

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-01
Rashad Carter - 28 October 2012 02:38 AM

Yes, Horo. You wont have a problem with any of it because you already had DS3 installed before you installed Ds4. It is for users who have never installed DS3 that this problem arises.

I don’t have DS 3 installed .

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-01
chohole - 28 October 2012 03:25 AM

Sorry I I got confused here.  I was told the bridge was all working right in DS 4.5.  I have to go by what I am told, cos I don’t use DS.  I still bring my figures in Via Poser, which has always been my chosen Add on for Bryce red face

you are correct !
it does work .

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

I think my problem is stemming from having two accounts on my PC. Like I said: working as administrator the bridges are there ...
There is just the small problem that the default registry entries don’t work for a second user ...

Signature 

1 of 4