Bug report Bryce/Lion
Since people keep throwing around 'Apple changed everything and now Bryce needs to be rewritten from scratch' here is why I don't believe that:
I've just run Bryce 7 on my Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.3. It's an unsatisfactory experience, because it keeps crashing, but here is what I was able to do:
- start up the application with a new document
- add Bryce native elements
- render a scene
- manipulate items in the scene, views, animation -
- change sky and fog settings
(basically, the create, edit, sky and fog, menus work, as do all the items that determine how you see things.
- open an older Bryce scene (this goes straight to a Mac dialog)
- add an image to the 2D picture object gallery, and click OK to have it appear in the scene
- create a tree with default settings
- go to the materials lab, choose a material, render a preview of it
- import objects
Based on this, I would say that Bryce 'works' in that all the things that make Bryce Bryce - creating 3D models, applying textures and rendering them - works.
What doesn't work is Bryce-specific dialogues.
I was not able to
- register Bryce (ok, I cheated - this is my version of Bryce 7 that I initialised under Snow Leopard and copied across to the new machine)
- accept or decline any dialogue other than, for some reason, the dialogue where you can specify a 2D image. That one works, which tells me that it's possible TO make Bryce dialogues work with Lion.
I've tested just about any feature I could think off up to the point where it hits a dialogue, and they all work up to that point. I have not experienced any _other_ crashes - every crash is entirely repeatable and predictable: hit a Bryce dialogue and watch it die. Whether you abort or click ok.
Sounds like an early hack coming back to bite. This also sounds as if a reasonably skilled programmer should be able to fix this in a reasonable amount of time. As bugs go, this one is friendly - it's repeatable, predictable and involves a very small part of the code. It also happens to make the application unusable, but that's just because dialogues are such a vital part of using the application.
Are there other problems with Bryce 7 and Lion?
Maybe. But somehow, I don't think they will be any worse than the bugs that you find in every application ever. (The colour chooser in the sky settings is a bit eratic and doesn't give you quite the colour underneath the tip of the cursor, for instance). But those are minor niggles - only you cannot find and eliminate them until you can actually use the dialogues.
But given this experience - that all the important parts of Bryce will run very happily under Lion with the exception of one, vital feature - I am more than ever annoyed that we're still at the point of 'it will get fixed eventually'. If I'm wrong - if there are other issues with Bryce 7/Lion that I cannot see - then I'd appreciate being told, because right now it looks like a minor bug that very much should be fixable in under a year.