Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Who names hurricanes?
Posted: 27 October 2012 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-11-12

Well my friends.. Sandy may sound friendly indeed, but i live in the Dominican Republic and we had a taste of Sandy!
I say just a taste because this storm didn’t even hit us directly it’s been a nightmare!.

I tell you one thing it’s SCARY!. Even though here, we’re used to hurricanes and tropical storms and worse considering Sandy wasn’t even a hurricane when start hitting us last Wednesday that thing flooded our country.
- it’s been heavy raining 4 days in a row!!

By yesterday just when we thought it was over and after a slight beautiful morning, things went back from scary to terrifying!
That thing IS a Frankestorm!. Winds were so strong destroyed huge signs, and i mean huge heavy signs, bridges, and not to mention the water!. Cars floating everywhere!

Today, Saturday morning it’s still unusually cold, windy, cloudy and showering. Sandy it’s a very strange violent storm!

So please all you guys up there in New Hampshire or in it’s path… TAKE GOOD CARE!. Be safe!.
AJ

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01

ohmygoodness….

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad to hear you are OK. Take Care everyone!

Posted: 28 October 2012 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2004-03-28

I"m in the path of Sandy…

And boy is she resembling my ex-mother-in-law.

Right now we are preparing for two weather events, a cold front and the Full moon, where the tides are the highest.

For those looking at the map, my town is in the Armpit of Massachusetts, literally. I sit on the eastern Rhode Island Border and in front, RI is the next town over from me.

Posted: 28 October 2012 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17
angusm - 27 October 2012 06:50 AM

If I remember correctly, hurricanes are named in alphabetical order, so the first storm of the year will be given a name that begins with ‘A’, the second with ‘B’, and so forth. I think they also alternate male/female, and then flip (so one year the first named storm will have a female name, the next year the first will have a male name, and so on).

There’s a pool of names, and particularly destructive storms are ‘retired’ from the pool. So there won’t be another Hurricane Katrina, for example.

Cyclones are named according to a similar scheme, but the sequence is separate. So, for example, if you’d had three hurricanes and then a cyclone came along, the cyclone would be named ‘A______’ rather than ‘D_______’.

Names were originally female only, but now they alternate between male and female names.

“They used to only name hurricanes after women, but then they realized that was sexist ... After all, men can be just as powerful and awe-inspiring as women.” [Dog, “Footrot Flats”]

Getting techhie here; A hurricane is a tropical storm that develops in the Atlantic and Northeastern Pacific Oceans (North America), a typhoon is one that develops in the Northestern Pacific Ocean and cyclones develop in the Southern Pacific & Indian Oceans.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 28 October 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01
Lilliana - 28 October 2012 01:26 AM

I"m in the path of Sandy…

And boy is she resembling my ex-mother-in-law.

Right now we are preparing for two weather events, a cold front and the Full moon, where the tides are the highest.

For those looking at the map, my town is in the Armpit of Massachusetts, literally. I sit on the eastern Rhode Island Border and in front, RI is the next town over from me.

Ohmy! Stay safe, Lilliana!!!

BWSman - 28 October 2012 08:11 AM
angusm - 27 October 2012 06:50 AM

If I remember correctly, hurricanes are named in alphabetical order, so the first storm of the year will be given a name that begins with ‘A’, the second with ‘B’, and so forth. I think they also alternate male/female, and then flip (so one year the first named storm will have a female name, the next year the first will have a male name, and so on).

There’s a pool of names, and particularly destructive storms are ‘retired’ from the pool. So there won’t be another Hurricane Katrina, for example.

Cyclones are named according to a similar scheme, but the sequence is separate. So, for example, if you’d had three hurricanes and then a cyclone came along, the cyclone would be named ‘A______’ rather than ‘D_______’.

Names were originally female only, but now they alternate between male and female names.

“They used to only name hurricanes after women, but then they realized that was sexist ... After all, men can be just as powerful and awe-inspiring as women.” [Dog, “Footrot Flats”]

Getting techhie here; A hurricane is a tropical storm that develops in the Atlantic and Northeastern Pacific Oceans (North America), a typhoon is one that develops in the Northestern Pacific Ocean and cyclones develop in the Southern Pacific & Indian Oceans.

Interesting stuff…anybody around who can explain why it’s all been made so complicated? lol

Posted: 28 October 2012 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17

This might help to explain things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane#Origin_of_storm_terms

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 28 October 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2004-10-25

I’m in NY City, so right in the middle of Sandy’s path.  From what I saw on a couple of maps posted on another 3D forum I visit, I’m right in the 60-70 MPH with 80+ gusts wind zone, and the 3-6 inches of rainfall zone.

I’m as prepared as I can be, and I think the worst will be if we lose power, but I’m really hoping that doesn’t happen.  It’s already getting windy here, but rain is not expected until tomorrow.

Take care everyone, and I’ll see you all “on the flip side” when it’s all done and gone.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 28 October 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  321
Joined  2003-10-09
Miss B - 28 October 2012 11:49 AM

I’m in NY City, so right in the middle of Sandy’s path.  From what I saw on a couple of maps posted on another 3D forum I visit, I’m right in the 60-70 MPH with 80+ gusts wind zone, and the 3-6 inches of rainfall zone.

I’m also in NYC. It’s funny to look at a map and see that my home is marked as being in “Evacuation Zone C”. They’ve just ordered everyone out of Zone A, but I’m hoping that’s as far as it’s going to go.

The wind is just starting to pick up now. It’s not blowing hard yet, but it’s clear that something big is coming our way. Every so often you get a gust that says “Oh yeah? Stick around until tomorrow, then you’ll see what I can really do ...”

This one is going to be “interesting”.

Signature 

http://bytescapes.com/            Bryce/Carrara/Reality galleries and resources

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01
angusm - 28 October 2012 12:52 PM
Miss B - 28 October 2012 11:49 AM

I’m also in NYC. It’s funny to look at a map and see that my home is marked as being in “Evacuation Zone C”. They’ve just ordered everyone out of Zone A, but I’m hoping that’s as far as it’s going to go.

The wind is just starting to pick up now. It’s not blowing hard yet, but it’s clear that something big is coming our way. Every so often you get a gust that says “Oh yeah? Stick around until tomorrow, then you’ll see what I can really do ...”

This one is going to be “interesting”.

heheh…. I had to “quote” you to see how you did that!! LOL!! ( t=74s) Groovy… I learned something new. smile

2 of 2