Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Who names hurricanes?
Posted: 26 October 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01

OK…. I’m watching the news. New hurricane on the east coast…. Hurricane Sandy.

What?

...Sandy?

Are they serious?

I mean…. is it me? Or does Sandy seem like an exceedingly friendly and sweet name for a brutal and terrifying hurricane? I don’t get it. question

Posted: 26 October 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2007-07-28

I sense a light-hearted nature to your question, but I actually recall reading somewhere that rules exist for the anming of hurricanes and the names are pre-determined.

Here is something close to what I remember reading:

Hurricane Names

Signature 

My You Tube Videos
My Gallery

Each player rolls one die
The player with the highest number goes first
Play continues clock-wise

~Milton Bradley

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

I am being a little bit light-hearted….but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane… I still wanna know who thought that was a good one…lol

...but hey!! That was really very interesting! Thanks for sharing it. smile

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-28

but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane

You and I know a very different Sandy cheese

Signature 

My You Tube Videos
My Gallery

~Milton Bradley

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2011-05-17

I’m in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday… lol

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-28
Paradigm67 - 26 October 2012 10:09 PM

I’m in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday… lol

They must be expecting something pretty bad, then.  Better safe than sorry…

I keep hearing about a “Frankenstorm”, but I haven’t paid much attention.

Signature 

My You Tube Videos
My Gallery

~Milton Bradley

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01
Salem2007 - 26 October 2012 10:09 PM

but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane

You and I know a very different Sandy cheese

LOL LOL LOL

Seriously? Oh my! ...that’s kinda scary… It’s friday night here…well..technically it’s barely Sat morning…but… yeah… be safe!

Posted: 26 October 2012 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2006-04-15
JasmineSkunk - 26 October 2012 10:06 PM

I am being a little bit light-hearted….but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane… I still wanna know who thought that was a good one…lol

...but hey!! That was really very interesting! Thanks for sharing it. smile

Since my RL name happens to be Sandy, I thank you.  Generally I’m one of the friendly sort, though shy enough that it takes a while to see exactly how friendly. I don’t watch much TV or listen to much radio, so my first news of it was from a Second Life friend who asked me what I was doing in Jamaica.

On a more serious side, please take care, all who are in it’s path.

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2007-08-25
Salem2007 - 26 October 2012 10:29 PM

(BTW, on topic: I like the name Sandy, but every time I hear it I keep expecting the soundtrack to Grease to be playing in the background. )

It’s looking like it could be pretty bad- The press keeps stating that it is not hype, and they have never seen anything like it before, too. I’m in NYS, and they have already declared a state of emergency here, even though it’s not supposed to hit my area till about 2 AM Wed EST.

People here in the NE US, they keep saying be prepared JIC. Here’s a good link for that: http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

“There will be school closures, travel will be messed up for days and major airports will be closed,” Henry Margusity, senior meteorologist with AccuWeather, said. “This could be a disaster of biblical proportions — a multi-billion-dollar disaster.” Winds in the storm’s outlying areas are expected to gust as high as 80 miles per hour, he said. - (Hurricane Sandy may force evacuations in NYC, Virginia, N.C. declare emergencies; NYSE making contingency plans ) - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/frankenstorm-has-financial-centers-on-edge-2012-10-26

For info, see also:
Weather Experts Swear They Are Not Overhyping the ‘Once in a Lifetime’ Frankenstorm [Updated] - http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/frankenstorm—hurricane-sandy-hype-overhyped.html

If Sandy Becomes ‘Frankenstorm,’ It Could Be Worst In A Century - http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/26/163690889/if-sandy-becomes-frankenstorm-it-could-be-worst-in-a-century

Emergency in NY as ‘Frankenstorm’ Hurricane Sandy approaches US - http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/united-states-braces-for-superstorm-hurricane-sa_807832.html

Signature 

————-
2012: The world ended. We missed it. Maybe next time.
DVL_LVD @ ShareCG

Posted: 27 October 2012 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6259
Joined  2003-10-09
JasmineSkunk - 26 October 2012 09:07 PM

OK…. I’m watching the news. New hurricane on the east coast…. Hurricane Sandy.

What?

...Sandy?

Are they serious?

I mean…. is it me? Or does Sandy seem like an exceedingly friendly and sweet name for a brutal and terrifying hurricane? I don’t get it. question

Yeah, Hurricane Sandy has a similar sound like Hurricane Buddy would have.
And who would be scared of Hurricane Clem?

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 27 October 2012 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

....messed up my edit…

Posted: 27 October 2012 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01
Ebahr - 27 October 2012 12:07 AM
Salem2007 - 26 October 2012 10:29 PM

(BTW, on topic: I like the name Sandy, but every time I hear it I keep expecting the soundtrack to Grease to be playing in the background. )

lol…EXACTLY!

Sandy is some sweet, young, innocent with wildflowers in her hands and barrettes in her hair, right? smile

Ameesa - 26 October 2012 11:00 PM

Since my RL name happens to be Sandy, I thank you.  Generally I’m one of the friendly sort, though shy enough that it takes a while to see exactly how friendly. I don’t watch much TV or listen to much radio, so my first news of it was from a Second Life friend who asked me what I was doing in Jamaica.

On a more serious side, please take care, all who are in it’s path.

@ Ameesa: Well, see!!! You just make my point—cuz you are really sweet! smile smile

tjohn - 27 October 2012 01:26 AM

Yeah, Hurricane Sandy has a similar sound like Hurricane Buddy would have.
And who would be scared of Hurricane Clem?

haha! Well….I don’t know—Hurricane Buddy might be a little scary sounding….lol

In all seriousness, though… I hope it doesn’t become much of anything… and people stay safe.

(...whew…too many edits…I’m a moron)

Posted: 27 October 2012 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19

NOAA Storm Central: http://www.noaa.gov/stormcentral/

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  753
Joined  2003-10-09

The one thing I do I know is that they use male/female names for hurricanes in alternate years. So there was Hurricane Irene, and now Hurricane Sandy.

I assume ‘Sandy’ is the male version of that name? I live 6,000ft up a mountain, so hurricanes aren’t exactly a priority for me.

mac

Posted: 27 October 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14324
Joined  2003-10-09
maclean - 27 October 2012 04:08 AM

The one thing I do I know is that they use male/female names for hurricanes in alternate years. So there was Hurricane Irene, and now Hurricane Sandy.

I assume ‘Sandy’ is the male version of that name? I live 6,000ft up a mountain, so hurricanes aren’t exactly a priority for me.

mac

The names alternate m/f through the year, not between years.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 27 October 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  334
Joined  2003-10-09

If I remember correctly, hurricanes are named in alphabetical order, so the first storm of the year will be given a name that begins with ‘A’, the second with ‘B’, and so forth. I think they also alternate male/female, and then flip (so one year the first named storm will have a female name, the next year the first will have a male name, and so on).

There’s a pool of names, and particularly destructive storms are ‘retired’ from the pool. So there won’t be another Hurricane Katrina, for example.

Cyclones are named according to a similar scheme, but the sequence is separate. So, for example, if you’d had three hurricanes and then a cyclone came along, the cyclone would be named ‘A______’ rather than ‘D_______’.

Names were originally female only, but now they alternate between male and female names.

“They used to only name hurricanes after women, but then they realized that was sexist ... After all, men can be just as powerful and awe-inspiring as women.” [Dog, “Footrot Flats”]

Signature 

http://bytescapes.com/            Bryce/Carrara/Reality galleries and resources

1 of 2