Digital Art Zone

7 of 14
WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 30 October 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  997
Joined  2012-01-29

I hope you are not right and the end of desktops is not nearing, Kendall. Gamers, hobbyists and other home users are not the only ones who use PCs. Millions of people use desktops at work, any any tries to replace them with something else would be only for the worse. I work as an accountant and I sure as hell don´t expect my boss to buy me a TV to use it as a screen. I don´t need my working computer to be mobile, I work in the office the whole day and am not going anywhere.

Frankly, I cannot imagine what I would do with a tablet at work. It is good for use at home, when you want to play some games, but other than this I see no advantages for using tablet over desktop. Not to mention the problems with backache and similar health problems resulting from being hunched over a tablet for too long a time. 8 or more hours of tablet usage at work - no, thank you!  Plus if you use TV as your screen at home, what if other family member/s want to watch TV? Buy another TV? Why not buy a proper desktop instead, then?

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5582
Joined  2006-02-20

Ooops. The nice thing about the W7 XP-Mode is the USB support.
Without USB support you don’t get the scanner to run.
Me stays with W7, me thinks.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
Kendall Sears - 30 October 2012 01:01 AM

...Yes, but the point is that the “tablet” is becoming more than enough to replace the PC in the average home..Those running “high end” applications may need more “horsepower”, but the normal household does not…

The age of the PC is ending….

Yes, tablets will soon be powerful enough for most home use, they already are for many people. The big issue here is peripherals and that will be solved in time in a way that surpasses current desktop integration with peripherals, including storage, input, and output devices as well as pairing with other new items in new ways.

As for the age of the pc ending, yes.. would agree with that also, with a caveat. Ending of an age doesn’t mean that the item in question goes away. It doesn’t even mean that the number of sales declines. Just that the number of sales in a given area percentage wise is much less then some other alternative. That is the real issue methinks. There will be 100x the number of tablet type devices sold for every desktop, and notebook/tablet/phone division will become more blurred so that a dedicated desktop will almost seem an anomaly except in places that people think they are being archaic in their approach (like businesses, doctor’s offices) and in places where people can still use the flexibility of a custom built desktop. Mainframe computers were still going strong for over 20 years after their predicted demise, and while they have been replaced by server farms in sales, they still run in many places, but it took over 20 years after their predicted demise. The era did end when predicted however as the impetus had moved. That is the real definition of the ‘end of an era’ is not when the aspects of the era die but rather when the focus shifts significantly away from them as being primary.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2070
Joined  2003-10-09

So far the best thing i have seen about Windows 8 is the name. I can just see it now “Windows 8 my computer!”

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5582
Joined  2006-02-20
LycanthropeX - 30 October 2012 07:45 AM

So far the best thing i have seen about Windows 8 is the name. I can just see it now “Windows 8 my computer!”

ROTFL!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
Proxima Shining - 30 October 2012 06:30 AM

I hope you are not right and the end of desktops is not nearing, Kendall. Gamers, hobbyists and other home users are not the only ones who use PCs. Millions of people use desktops at work, any any tries to replace them with something else would be only for the worse. I work as an accountant and I sure as hell don´t expect my boss to buy me a TV to use it as a screen. I don´t need my working computer to be mobile, I work in the office the whole day and am not going anywhere.

Frankly, I cannot imagine what I would do with a tablet at work. It is good for use at home, when you want to play some games, but other than this I see no advantages for using tablet over desktop. Not to mention the problems with backache and similar health problems resulting from being hunched over a tablet for too long a time. 8 or more hours of tablet usage at work - no, thank you!  Plus if you use TV as your screen at home, what if other family member/s want to watch TV? Buy another TV? Why not buy a proper desktop instead, then?

For those interested, look up the terms “BYOD” or “Bring Your Own Device” in Google.  It is currently a pretty big concern for Risk Management in some places.

Now, as I wrote earlier, the end of the PC era is in the home.  Those in offices are likely to have some form of “Desktop” for the foreseeable future… whether it continues to be a M$/PC type desktop or a more portable “terminal”  is yet to be seen.  This is already the case.  In many organizations, the standard machine issued to the office worker is just sufficient to to their work—like a DeLL pizza box system.  But for the engineering or programming crews “Workstation” level machines are issued (usually bigger machines with more power and bigger cases).

As for users of DS, Poser, C4D, etc… there will always be those (like myself) who push beyond the “average” uses of computing and will need more powerful “workstation” level equipment.  As a ratio, those who really push their systems are in an extremely small minority.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Gedd - 30 October 2012 07:33 AM
Kendall Sears - 30 October 2012 01:01 AM

...Yes, but the point is that the “tablet” is becoming more than enough to replace the PC in the average home..Those running “high end” applications may need more “horsepower”, but the normal household does not…

The age of the PC is ending….

Yes, tablets will soon be powerful enough for most home use, they already are for many people. The big issue here is peripherals and that will be solved in time in a way that surpasses current desktop integration with peripherals, including storage, input, and output devices as well as pairing with other new items in new ways.

As for the age of the pc ending, yes.. would agree with that also, with a caveat. Ending of an age doesn’t mean that the item in question goes away. It doesn’t even mean that the number of sales declines. Just that the number of sales in a given area percentage wise is much less then some other alternative. That is the real issue methinks. There will be 100x the number of tablet type devices sold for every desktop, and notebook/tablet/phone division will become more blurred so that a dedicated desktop will almost seem an anomaly except in places that people think they are being archaic in their approach (like businesses, doctor’s offices) and in places where people can still use the flexibility of a custom built desktop. Mainframe computers were still going strong for over 20 years after their predicted demise, and while they have been replaced by server farms in sales, they still run in many places, but it took over 20 years after their predicted demise. The era did end when predicted however as the impetus had moved. That is the real definition of the ‘end of an era’ is not when the aspects of the era die but rather when the focus shifts significantly away from them as being primary.

In red:  Absolutely agree 100%.
In blue: sales have already declined in this case for PC’s… dramatically.  Especially for laptop sales.  Laptops were being sold more for the home due to being more compact, but the sales numbers for laptops have plummeted.  What is expected to happen is that as sales of Android enhanced devices increases, and the interaction between them becomes more convenient (look at the new trend in televisions that allow an Android phone to act as a remote) the need/desire for a “windows station” in the home will decline.  This is the reason for the hard push for W8 (or “Wait” as it’s being called) to have the same touchscreen like across all devices.  In this case, it is probably too little, too late:  Microsoft’s IBM mistake.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-03-25

Okay I work for a ISP company and I have t tell you.
I hate windows 8, we got 2 new ones at work over a week ago, the Metro style interface sucks when your trying to program ASP.NET. and PHP, because you have to manually keep going back to the files in documents when before i could keep them in a working file on the desk top.  if you have to do something to the computer settings so you can set up a Visual basic or a cold fusion server forget it. everything will need to be done manually through the control panel which has also changed its interface.
  you can’t access Linux servers for credit card gateways with Kopix, or Puppy Linux for windows system, which allows me to switch back and fourth between window & Linux panels like I can with windows 7 which means i have to go to another machine if i need to make a Linux server change when I am setting up a server side for shopping cart. Also Magneto and Miva does not support win8 at this time.another pain in the ass.

I had requested my boss remove the new win 8 out of my cubical Thursday.  I went back the win 7 machine. It was taking me longer to navigate the win 8 system, which was putting me behind in my work..  you can change the metro style to a regular OS type system with a start menu, using a optional app.  but every time MS has a update (which is about ever other day) it reverts back to the metro style again, another pain in my ass. .
I have a cruz tablet and Android smart phone that uses all the apps I want to use.
but i don’t like to use apps to program on a desk top PC, the file tree is horrific to work with. the win-sxs file and registry management is even worst than it is in windows 7. The x86 program file does not work he same as in win 7 leaving you have to manually search for the common files in the program file in the c/ drive.
  if you start connecting external server drives and servers side protocols , you have to manually type in the drive location instead because Adobe Live cycle does not support win 8 at this time., and when doing networking to server sides files manually, then you will keep getting a win 8 pop- up warning stating that “this device is not authorized to access these files in this manner.” which in every windows machine we have i never had any trouble with.  I thought at first a the win 8 system would be great. Until I had to use it everyday to work with. even my Boss hates it now because they moved them to the front desk…lol It maybe be great for gamers and people who like to chat using Tablets and smart phones. But I don’t see windows 8 becoming popular as a Business Machine its too difficult to navigate the file system.
But that is my opinion.

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations
YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

I always pronounced W8 phonetically - “Wait!”

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 30 October 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  997
Joined  2012-01-29
Sockratease - 30 October 2012 09:44 AM

I always pronounced W8 phonetically - “Wait!”

Phonetically… In my language W8 wouldt be “Wosm”. But your way is funnier. LOL

Posted: 30 October 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  685
Joined  2003-10-09

I picked up my pre-ordered copy of Window8-Pro at OfficeMax today.  I haven’t installed it yet, but it goes on my spare Win7-Home machine to be used as a testbed for customer questions.  It was cheap so If I really, really don’t like it I’ll just re-install Win7 on that machine and eat the cost for a while.

However, the discussions about XP support in Win8 seems to me to be like DAZ users asking for support for Studio1 plug-ins in Studio4.  There comes a time when backwards compatability has to be sacrificed.  For those who need XP support, the absence of XP support in Win8 is a good reason for sticking with Win7, but it should also be a wakeup call for the XP hanger’s-on.

Maybe I’m wrong but aren’t parallel ports a bit obsolete?  I haven’t seen a printer with a parallel port in years.  Nor have I seen an off the shelf PC with one in years.  I still have three machines with a parallel port but they are 8 to 10 year old XP machines.  As much as I hate disposing of functioning equipment, I’ve had no trouble at all disposing of peripherals that aren’t supported by modern machines.  Yeah, I’ll keep an old machine around if it serves some purpose like supporting a $20,000 flatbed pooltable sized plotter but I’d be the first one to replace my printers & scanners if they won’t put me in the poorhouse.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 30 October 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
LeatherGryphon - 30 October 2012 01:48 PM

I picked up my pre-ordered copy of Window8-Pro at OfficeMax today.  I haven’t installed it yet, but it goes on my spare Win7-Home machine to be used as a testbed for customer questions.  It was cheap so If I really, really don’t like it I’ll just re-install Win7 on that machine and eat the cost for a while.

However, the discussions about XP support in Win8 seems to me to be like DAZ users asking for support for Studio1 plug-ins in Studio4.  There comes a time when backwards compatability has to be sacrificed.  For those who need XP support, the absence of XP support in Win8 is a good reason for sticking with Win7, but it should also be a wakeup call for the XP hanger’s-on.

Maybe I’m wrong but aren’t parallel ports a bit obsolete?  I haven’t seen a printer with a parallel port in years.  Nor have I seen an off the shelf PC with one in years.  I still have three machines with a parallel port but they are 8 to 10 year old XP machines.  As much as I hate disposing of functioning equipment, I’ve had no trouble at all disposing of peripherals that aren’t supported by modern machines.  Yeah, I’ll keep an old machine around if it serves some purpose like supporting a $20,000 flatbed pooltable sized plotter but I’d be the first one to replace my printers & scanners if they won’t put me in the poorhouse.

Yes, they are obsolete, but are still widely used in corporate environments.  Especially with high-end Copier/Printer combinations.

As for XP… people still want it, and many businesses still use it actively.  So it is a hindrance to M$ desired acceptance of Wait.  Although, I don’t see Wait’s UI being accepted readily in a business setting.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  986
Joined  2005-11-27

I think it was just about ten years ago when I had my last parallel port printer. Maybe longer. It was Epson dot matrix.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 30 October 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2004-04-07

Getting the scanner to work was just really an excuse to play around with virtualisation on windows 7.

MS may still make an announcement about a successor to XPmode.

Otherwise you’ll need an XP installation disk and spare licence and will just have to install your own copy into windows 8. That’s still an option.

By the way, your ancient printer might be down to its last nozzle, you may not be able to find a driver for win8, you may not even have a parallel port on your motherboard… but win8 still comes with a parallel port driver.

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 30 October 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2003-10-09

I was thinking that Windows 8 would only work on a touch screen computer..that is all I have seen of it when advertised on TV..people using the touch screen with it. Made me wonder how in the world could a graphics person use such a OS and it just could not run Poser or any thing like it..I guess I am wrong?? The OP said she runs Poser and DS on it..so how can you do that using a touch screen?? I am confused needless to say LOL…

7 of 14