Digital Art Zone

6 of 14
WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 29 October 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2003-12-16

Is there any way to boot up and just see a blank desktop or are there going to be tiles you can’t disable? I’d like to upgrade at some point but at first glance it looks like an xbox/fischer price interface that’s locked down. I’m hoping that’s not the case. I use my Win PC for 3D, all my social and net stuff is on a Mac.

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 29 October 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11203
Joined  2007-11-06
Tomsde - 29 October 2012 04:30 AM

I think that the prediction of the death of desktops and even laptops is highly over stated.  Eventually people are going to tire at staring at tiny screens and want to have larger screens to consmer their media on—not to mention the fact that tablets aren’t robust enough to run complex desktop applications.  I think the desktop will always have a place in the larger scheme of things, where people who only want to use computers as media consumption devices are more likely to use other things.

...I have to agree. 

I couldn’t imagine trying to run, not much less render in, an app like Carrara on a tablet. which has inferior cooling no dedicated GPU,rand limited memory.

...and going to cloud based systems? No thanks. This not only brings up security/privacy/copyright issues, but would reduce performance as you will be limited by the bandwidth and download limits provided by your ISP service.  I couldn’t imagine trying to work on a scene with all the resets and disconnects I experience and I’m not in a position to afford a major cable or telecom company’s “ransom” to get a more stable high speed connection with unlimited uploads/downloads.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 October 2012 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17

Please do some research before making misinformed statements:

Tegra3

Quad-Core CPU @ 1.6GHz

Memory Size : Up to 2 GB
GPU Cores : 12
GPU 3D Stereo : Yes
GPU Full Programmability : Yes
GPU OpenGL ES Version : 2.0
GPU OpenVG : 1.1
GPU EGL : 1.4

Available as a hybrid Laptop/Tablet in the Asus Transformer and upcoming tablets.  And this will run a full Linux.

The tablet I bought for Alexa has a 250GB HardDrive (Yes hard Drive) built in, as well as full size USB Host Port.  This is more powerful than most laptops, and a good portion of desktops.  And this is here NOW.  New chips are on the way that are significantly better.  Plug one of these into a HDMI capable monitor, USB Hub with Keyboard and mouse, boot Linux on it, and WHAM!  Quite Nice.  The 3D performance is EXCELLENT!

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 30 October 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11203
Joined  2007-11-06

...my six year old 32 bit Toshiba has twice the memory and a 320GB HDD.  While only a DuoCore it is also 1.6 gHz

I’ve been working with only 2GB for rendering and as many know it frequently results in crashes duw to the renderfile exceeding the available memory.

Also part of the total 2GB the tablet has would be taken up by the OS so that leaves even less available memory for rendering than I currently have.

The only advantage it has over my old girl is the two additional cores and it’s GPU (the latter which does not come into play for rendering in Daz Studio or Poser).

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 October 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1710
Joined  2008-05-31

I use a 5 year old Win 7 - 64,  2.6 gHz quad core with 8 GB RAM for rendering. And I do run out of RAM occasionally, with PP2012.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 30 October 2012 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Kyoto Kid - 30 October 2012 12:27 AM

...my six year old 32 bit Toshiba has twice the memory and a 320GB HDD.  While only a DuoCore it is also 1.6 gHz

I’ve been working with only 2GB for rendering and as many know it frequently results in crashes duw to the renderfile exceeding the available memory.

Also part of the total 2GB the tablet has would be taken up by the OS so that leaves even less available memory for rendering than I currently have.

The only advantage it has over my old girl is the two additional cores and it’s GPU (the latter which does not come into play for rendering in Daz Studio or Poser).

Yes, but the point is that the “tablet” is becoming more than enough to replace the PC in the average home.  And you did say “no dedicated GPU,rand limited memory”  did you not?  The Chipsets have MORE GPU power, and the same, or more RAM, than most PC’s in use (32 bit machines running on 32 bit chipsets still outnumber 64 bit systems).

Those running “high end” applications may need more “horsepower”, but the normal household does not.  Email, Internet, Word Processing, Gaming, etc.  The tablets that are available today are more than powerful enough, and are low cost enough, to replace the PC in the vast majority of homes.

The age of the PC is ending.  However, I don’t think the “cloud” is the next destination.  There are several “home wide” storage devices coming out designed specifically to host data for tablets.  Several wireless routers now come with harddrives and NAS software built in that can work with iOS, Android, and Desktop environments.  There are also a plethora of dedicated NAS devices that operate the same way.

There’s nothing, other than effort, keeping DS off of tablets.  WIth the GPU/CPU hardware available, I’d be willing to bet that DS4 would run well on a tablet if it were ported and the relevant changes made.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 30 October 2012 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Kyoto Kid - 29 October 2012 08:57 PM

...and going to cloud based systems? No thanks. This not only brings up security/privacy/copyright issues, but would reduce performance as you will be limited by the bandwidth and download limits provided by your ISP service.  I couldn’t imagine trying to work on a scene with all the resets and disconnects I experience and I’m not in a position to afford a major cable or telecom company’s “ransom” to get a more stable high speed connection with unlimited uploads/downloads.

No clouds for me either. I don’t really see the point in it, and you become too dependent on factors outside of your control.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 30 October 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

Here are some of the specs for the OMAP5 series:

OMAP5432 Key Benefits

Designed to drive mobile computing devices and consumer products
  Multi-core ARM® Cortex™ processors
        Two ARM Cortex-A15 MPCore processors capable of speeds up to 2 GHz each
        Two ARM Cortex-M4 processors for low-power offload and real-time responsiveness
  Two ARM Cortex-A15 MPCore processors capable of speeds up to 2 GHz each
  Two ARM Cortex-M4 processors for low-power offload and real-time responsiveness
  Multi-core POWERVR™ SGX544-MPx graphics accelerators drive 3D gaming and 3D user interfaces
  Dedicated TI 2D BitBlt graphics accelerator
  IVA-HD hardware accelerators enable full HD 1080p60, multi-standard video encode/decode as well as 1080p30 stereoscopic 3D (S3D)
  Faster, higher-quality image and video capture with up to 20-megapixel (or 12-megapixel S3D) imaging and 1080p60 (or 1080p30S3D) video
  Supports three cameras and up to four displays simultaneously
  Packaging and memory 17mm x 17mm, 0.5mm pitch BGA dual-channel DDR3/DDR3L memory
  Supports all the major APIs, including: OpenGL® ES v2.0, OpenGL® ES v1.1, OpenCL v1.1, OpenVG v1.1 and EGL v1.3
  SMP’s scalable performance activates only the cores that are needed for that particular process
  Hardware virtualization through Hypervisor allows power and performance-efficient, multiple guest operating system (OS) support

As you can see, the chipsets are moving fast.  Fast enough to support Hardware Virtualization.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2012 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31

Maybe DS would run on a tablet, but I wouldn’t want to work with it on a screen less than 26”. Actually I find even a 26” monitor too small..

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 30 October 2012 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Taozen - 30 October 2012 01:53 AM

Maybe DS would run on a tablet, but I wouldn’t want to work with it on a screen less than 26”. Actually I find even a 26” monitor too small..

Then plug it into a 42” HDMI HDTV and there ya go.  Works for me great.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2012 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Kendall Sears - 30 October 2012 02:03 AM

Kendall

Well what’s the advantage in using a tablet rather than a desktop then?

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 30 October 2012 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Taozen - 30 October 2012 02:12 AM

Kendall

Because it CAN be used both ways.  Need it on the move?  Take it.  Want to play at home?  Do it.

I use my Atrix2 Cell Phone in similar ways.  The Linux side of the device allows me to use it as a dual-core laptop when it’s plugged into to the Lapdock (either 10” or 15” laptop), a full desktop when plugged into the multimedia dock, or a monitor+keyboard/mouse, a smart phone on the road, and I can take the desktop with me at a moment’s notice.  Any HDMI capable monitor allows me to use the phone as a desktop when coupled with the bluetooth keyboard.  Obviously the 4” screen is too small for most things, but once hooked to a monitor, it’s a fine machine.

The tablets will allow for similar things (assuming it isn’t crippled by M$ myopia).

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 30 October 2012 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Kendall Sears - 30 October 2012 02:21 AM
Taozen - 30 October 2012 02:12 AM

Kendall

Because it CAN be used both ways.  Need it on the move?  Take it.  Want to play at home?  Do it.

Kendall

OK, but then I’d rather prefer a desktop for rendering etc. and a tablet for other stuff. Those all-in-one solutions are usually built on compomises with the drawbacks that implies.

I wouldn’t mind seeing DS or Poser with a tablet interface though, but that’s another story…

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 30 October 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5927
Joined  2006-02-20

As there are knowledgeable persons here and I am curious ...
Is there still a WindowsXP mode?
Because that is how I got my 12 year old HP Scanjet 2200c to run on my W7 pc.
(No, a new scanner is not an option - this one has great 3d capabilities which I need for scanning my beadwork, most scanners are only scanning flat things like a sheet of paper.)

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 30 October 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2004-04-07
Kerya - 30 October 2012 05:04 AM

Is there still a WindowsXP mode?

Thats a good question. I looked into it a while ago while trying to get a parallel port scanner working. (The parallel port is not supported in any standardised way for anything thats not a printer, so my scanner would not work but others might!)

Anyway, in windows 8, MS have ported the proper virtualisation they’ve been using on their server platforms, Hyper-V. The Enterprise class version is a full server-client implementation, with the required modules only available on volume licenses.

So the answer to your question is NO, the Hyper-V client in Windows 8 has no XPmode.

...But there are ways to get XPmode into VirtualBox (instead of MS VirtualPC) and still keep within the licencing.

This is making a big assumption, that VirtualBox Lite works the same way in Windows 8 as it did in Win7. If it does then this method should still work:  mad

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12309/install-xp-mode-with-virtualbox-using-the-vmlite-plugin/

Signature 

regards
prixat

6 of 14