California has gorgeous weather today!  cool grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  861
Joined  2004-05-14

Thanks everyone. I have searched Microsoft’s web site and has found answers to my questions.
One can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
It is possible to upgrade from 32-bit version to 64-bit version by buying upgrade on the DVD
(costs about twice as much as upgrade download), but still it is only 43% of the price of full version.
Microsoft even says that it is possible to reinstall previous version of Windows if you have installation media to it
or have the image of the system hard disk made before upgrading to Windows 8.

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11175
Joined  2007-11-06
SpottedKitty - 26 October 2012 10:31 PM
RCDeschene - 26 October 2012 09:31 PM

Because I’m not going anywhere NEAR it unless I can retain that kind of functionality…

<nod> I’ll add that I’m not going anywhere near it anyway. It’s all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC? All I ever see in the adverts and tech show programmes is how easy it is to whizz around a whole lot of blobby icons, just like on a phone screen. So what else does it do? And how much of the functionality is geared towards driving a touchscreen, like on a phone or tablet?

Nope, I’m giving Win8 a miss, just like I did Vista. Besides, I’ve only had Win7 for a couple of years now and I have no intention of upgrading — to me it’s “WinXP done right” and the new OS is, I’m afraid, little more than “pretty”.

..heh, still using XP.  With WIn7 64 on the new system (though was considering XP Pro64).

Actually one of the local tech experts mentioned that many users and workplaces are still running on XP (Win7 has been out for what, three years now?). 

One of the things I heard that 8 dispensed with was the old “Start” menu.  Now I am old school (I still use the “Windows Classic” shell in XP). who goes back to when we still used Command Line (on mainframes and in DOS).  Personally, for most purposes (other then working in CG) I find the using a pointing device, such as a mouse, tablet, or touch pad, to be less “ergonomic”, especially when working in a heavily keyboard driven environment (like a word processor or spreadsheet app).  Having to frequently remove the hands from the keyboard to use an external pointing device is actually less efficient (at least from my experience) than using hotkeys.

Always been big fan of hot keys (used to programme my own back in the days).

From what I have heard, Win8 is tailored more for hand held devices like smart phones and pads than the standard PC (hence the touch based con driven environment).  I like a nice clean and well organised desktop, not one cluttered with big gaudy smartphone inspired tiles.

A few other minuses include:

—- No more Start Menu, The start Screen is hardly a good replacement for non touch screen PC users as it appears to require a lot of scrolling around to find things. Never liked hidden task/toolbars either.

—- No more DVD Player (one of the few built in apps I use)  You can still get Media Player, but now for an additional cost and it requires Win8 Pro.

—- The Secure Boot which can cause conflicts with free software like Linux and possibly even Blender (any Blender users know more about this?).

—-a lot of built in bloatware which I would never use as I don’t do social network sites or stream music.

I’m with you think I’ll give this one a pass.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 28 October 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 28 October 2012 01:27 PM
LeatherGryphon - 28 October 2012 08:59 AM
Artini - 28 October 2012 07:54 AM

I’ve just wonder if it is possible to upgrade from WindowsXP 32-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit,
by buying the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Anybody knows?

I believe the answer is “no”.  Upgrades possible from Vista or Win7 only.

Oops, no, wait… still searching…  Why isn’t this answer blaringly obvious…  Back in a few minutes.

OK, this article says it is.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-pro-costs-40-if-youre-running-xp-vista-858859

And the Microsoft store says it it IF you have XP upgraded to Service Pack 3 installed. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro?WT.term=+windows++8+upgrade+from+vista&WT;.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_5+-+Windows+8&WT;.medium=cpc&WT;.campaign=5+-+Windows+8&WT;.content=de68Q6mJ&WT;.srch=1&WT;.source=google&cshift_ck=685d76b6-4c3f-472c-8669-877599d2cf01csde68Q6mJ

Generally an in-place upgrade is possible only if both the installed version and the upgrade have the same bit-depth.

Argh… Richard is right.  I totally missed the 32 vs 64 bit part of the question.  Gettin’ old :-(  I’ll resign from the forum the day I put my underwear on over my trousers.  Won’t be long now. :-(

PS: Yeah, I know Madonna did it but she’s eccentric and artistic, not simply senile and loony.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 28 October 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  861
Joined  2004-05-14
LeatherGryphon - 28 October 2012 03:41 PM

I’ve just wonder if it is possible to upgrade from WindowsXP 32-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit,

Oops, no, wait… still searching…  Why isn’t this answer blaringly obvious…  Back in a few minutes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-pro-costs-40-if-youre-running-xp-vista-858859

And the Microsoft store says it it IF you have XP upgraded to Service Pack 3 installed. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro?WT.term=+windows++8+upgrade+from+vista&WT;.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_5+-+Windows+8&WT;.medium=cpc&WT;.campaign=5+-+Windows+8&WT;.content=de68Q6mJ&WT;.srch=1&WT;.source=google&cshift_ck=685d76b6-4c3f-472c-8669-877599d2cf01csde68Q6mJ

Generally an in-place upgrade is possible only if both the installed version and the upgrade have the same bit-depth.

Argh… Richard is right.  I totally missed the 32 vs 64 bit part of the question.  Gettin’ old :-(  I’ll resign from the forum the day I put my underwear on over my trousers.  Won’t be long now. :-(

PS: Yeah, I know Madonna did it but she’s eccentric and artistic, not simply senile and loony.

Thanks, but I have found on the Microsoft’s site, that 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade is possible, if one buy the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on the DVD.

Posted: 28 October 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14249
Joined  2003-10-09
Artini - 28 October 2012 04:08 PM
LeatherGryphon - 28 October 2012 03:41 PM

Thanks, but I have found on the Microsoft’s site, that 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade is possible, if one buy the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on the DVD.

Upgrade, yes - but I thought the original question was about an in-place upgrade (changing the OS without having to reisntall everything - though it looked to me as if that was required for the apps in going from XP in any event)

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2003-10-09

it’s alight i suppose,
the flat colours and task bar reminds me of a cross between windows 3.1 and windows 95.

i installed it over the top of my win 7 so I now have 1288 tiles on the start thing, because it dumped everything from my start menu on it, now that’s just plain ugly, sigh, can’t find a bleeding thing scrolling through them all, no wonder search is so prominent.

it certainly doesn’t maintain all the user preferences when performing an upgrade, so just spent an age changing very basic options back again,

and there are programs that have compatibility issues that aren’t mentioned buy the Upgrade assistant, although they ran with the win 8 previews. You get a message from windows when running them that they aren’t compatible or have issues, so i’m not sure why they’re not flagged during the assistance check.

the 200MB windows update straight after install was a little worrying lol

Posted: 28 October 2012 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2003-10-09

I ran the upgrade wizard on my desktop and laptop for Windows 8 out of curiosity, ready boot won’t work with my computers firmware and there is a possibility of a device driver (my bluetooth on the laptops) not working.  One can’t tell if the manufactorer will release a Windows 8 compatible version and it’s not simple matter to replace hardware on a laptop.  I think that Windows 8 is very pretty looking, and I find the low upgrade price to be alluring, $39.99 for Windows 8 Pro if you download it.  I played with Windows 8 at Best Buy and the microsoft store a little.  My current feeling is that this interface is best for tablets and touch devices; I have no desire to get a touch screen monitor for my desktop computer, though if I upgraded my Intuos Tablet I could use touch and gestures on that to manipulate the screen.  I guess I’m having a problem with the two environments, Metro and the traditional desktop.  I have no desire to run little tablet style apps on my desktop computer, but the email client is stripped down and there is a different version of Internet Explorer in Metro and I use Windows Live Mail and don’t want to use two different mail clients.  Also the Metro version of IE does not run plugins, so one has to run IE on the desktop to have full functionality (like Flash).  I think they should have made up their minds and either made Metro the new Desktop or given users the option to opt out of Metro on their computers if they didn’t want to use it.  I am also certain that businesses won’t like all the distracting Metro Apps coming up in the work environment, they will want an OS that goes right to their professional desktop and lets the employees get right down to work and using the software they need.

Posted: 28 October 2012 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2003-10-09

i think the environment formerly know as metro (tefkam lol)
may be quite nice for an independent business like a little store or small arty office
but the larger business tech guys are already saying on the microsoft forums they wont touch the windows 8 server thing

Posted: 28 October 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8669
Joined  2007-11-06
Mec4D - 27 October 2012 11:55 PM

the total size show when you open the folder
for example I open my library and it show how much space it taked in total
then I go to Runtime and it show total how much space it take of all files in runtime folders etc… etc..
it does not show individual folder sizes in a row but at last it show something and it is faster as checking it via proportions

fixmypcmike - 27 October 2012 11:43 PM

Fantastic!  Thanks very much!

Oh, that doesn’t sound good.  What I’d like to be able to do, for example, is be in Runtime:Libraries:Pose and sort by folder size, so I can see which folders are empty and delete them without having to hover over each one.  If it just shows the size of the Pose library next to each folder, that won’t cut it.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 29 October 2012 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11175
Joined  2007-11-06

...during the World Series game tonight there were a number of commercials for WIn8.  From what they showed, this is a very ugly, gaudy,  and non-intuitive UI.

I just hope this isn’t the death knell for desktop/deskside PC workstations as most of the 3D CG apps we use are not supported on a tablet or one of those “convertible” notebooks.  With WIn8, MicroSquish looks like they want to put CG back in the realm of mainframe supercomputers.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 29 October 2012 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1706
Joined  2008-05-31
maclean - 27 October 2012 04:17 AM

Of course, all the media hype so far has been on MS Surface, so we don’t hear much about the regular desktop side of Win 8. The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don’t seem to realise that. The reasoning goes ‘Phones are trendy. We can make some money’ True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won’t be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

mac

I’ve also heard many predict though that desktops are outdated and will be replaced by SmartPhones and Tablets in the near future. I’m skeptical - I for one will keep using desktops and don’t really care about the SmartPhones and Tablet hype. I don’t own any and have no plans for getting any either at this point.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 29 October 2012 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2003-10-09

I think that the prediction of the death of desktops and even laptops is highly over stated.  Eventually people are going to tire at staring at tiny screens and want to have larger screens to consmer their media on—not to mention the fact that tablets aren’t robust enough to run complex desktop applications.  I think the desktop will always have a place in the larger scheme of things, where people who only want to use computers as media consumption devices are more likely to use other things.

Posted: 29 October 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14249
Joined  2003-10-09
Tomsde - 29 October 2012 04:30 AM

I think that the prediction of the death of desktops and even laptops is highly over stated.  Eventually people are going to tire at staring at tiny screens and want to have larger screens to consmer their media on—not to mention the fact that tablets aren’t robust enough to run complex desktop applications.  I think the desktop will always have a place in the larger scheme of things, where people who only want to use computers as media consumption devices are more likely to use other things.

The expectation/hope (especially among those wanting to sell software as a service) is that we will go back to the future - terminals/tablets used to launch applications running on mainframes/in the cloud.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 29 October 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  863
Joined  2005-11-06
Taozen - 29 October 2012 02:43 AM

I’ve also heard many predict though that desktops are outdated and will be replaced by SmartPhones and Tablets in the near future. I’m skeptical - I for one will keep using desktops and don’t really care about the SmartPhones and Tablet hype. I don’t own any and have no plans for getting any either at this point.

same here, although i do have a tablet. My GF has to have every tech gizmo for work and thru her i have had a play with WIN8, I don’t care for it at all. While I am sure with some time i can get used to it, what i have (high end 64 bit desktop) works perfectly and i really have no need for any extra features, so for the future i see no reason to go the WIN8 route.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

5 of 14